Incorrect voltage feeding LCD inverter - Cable or Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ditchmagnet, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wasn't sure if I should just put this in the general Hardware Components section.

I have an Acer Extensa 4610Z that had a bad LCD screen (there were line running across the screen that would come and go as you pressed on the screen).

I ordered a new screen and put it in, but the back light would not come on. Using a flashlight I could see that there were no longer any lines on the screen.

I tried plugging in the old screen and the back light on that one would not turn on either.

At this point I just figured the inverter was bad so I ordered a new one, but the new one was not making them work either.

I didn't think I damaged the LCD cable when I was changing the screen, and it looks like all the little wires are intact in in the correct place on the connectors.

I used a multimeter and started checking the input voltages for the inverter. There is no wire that is pushing over 3.3v. The line that (I think) should be the enable/disable wire reads about 3.3. That wire should be either 0v or 5v (but maybe I am looking at the wrong wire) The wire adjusts analog screen brightness is working correctly 0v to 3.3v.

I am not sure where pin 1 is, but on one side I will sometimes see the red wire get up to about 1.3v and the blue wire on the other side of the connector is always 0v.

I know that was a lot in there, but hopefully someone can make sense of it and suggest what needs to be replaced.

2. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Connect an external display and use Everest/Aida64 to check if the LCD is being recognized. (Failure to recognize the LCD is a sign of a bad EDID wire in the LVDS cable.)

3. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know the computer is recognizing the screen since I can still see everything coming up on the screen, the backlight just wont work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.