1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Incoming: AMD 9970M

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Jul 15, 2013.

1. fatboyslimerr

fatboyslimerr Notebook Deity

Which card would we expect to see released first? I really hope, just for the sake of competition, that the 9970 and 9970M blows 780/780M away if only to encourage more performance in the gtx 800 series.

2. harmattan

harmattan Notebook Evangelist

Heh, we are really getting off-topic here, reason being there is no info out there on the 9970m yet :) I think we can consider this thread a placeholder for the next couple months.

3. maverick1989

maverick1989 Notebook Deity

There's a lot of "ifs", some more probably, some simply guesses based on trends.

If the new GPUs do come out in October, then they are going to be in 28nm.

Going by the last two laptop flagship releases (not the 8970m which is just a rebrand but the 7970m and the 6990m), both were the exact same as the desktop x870 counterparts. The mobility 5000 series' flagship was a lower clocked desktop 5770. The numbers are different going back three generations but there is one similarity - all laptop flagships were based on the second tier desktop cores. The 7970m was based on the Pitcairn arch, the 6990m was based on Barts while the 5870 was juniper. AMD's press releases for GCN 2.0 or whatever reveal two architectures, the Curacao and the Hainan. Initial rumors were that they would release this as the 8000 series but those were quickly proven to be incorrect as the 8000 series was revealed and quickly deduced to be a rebrand. Either some team/s at AMD were too slow to finish their designs or had some other problems or AMD never wanted to release GCN two so far before Maxwell. I don't see any other possible reason. There could be one.

Anwyays, the Curacao looks like the upper tier core with over 2300 cores while the Hainan is second. The laptop 9970m will most likely be based on this with 1792 cores. If all these assumptions are correct, we are looking at about a 20% performance increase at the most, given the availability of good drivers (which is a mentionworthy "if" for AMD).

4. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

New version of HWinfo have revealed the upcoming mobile codenames from the 9xxxM series.

GPU Codename Series Positioning
    Maui Crystal Series High-End
    Topaz Crystal Series Performance
    Amethyst Crystal Series Mainstream

So most likely,
    9970M = Maui
    9870M = Topaz
    9770M? = Amethyst

Its pretty much confirmed now. They are coming. :)

Sweclockers said their sources say the first Volcanic Islands GPUs will arrive already in September. But AMD plan on releasing GPGPU cards first, FirePro. The rest will arrive around October.

Be sure to keep an eye out for these new GPUs. Rumors say the new cards will be "Titan killers". Beating the greatest Kepler card by a large margin.

The fact that AMD have dumped the 7990 (with 8 games included!) price from $999 to $699 is a huge tell that something powerful will arrive soon. AMD Radeon HD 7990 Gets A Massive Price Cut - Now Available At $699

I cant wait to see these new cards :)

5. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

"Titan killer" huh? That would put the biggest smile on my face. $1000 and $649.99 priced video cards are an insult. I'd love to see AMD lay a smackdown this round on nVIDIA.

6. Cakefish

Cakefish I Shot The Sheriff

October? I've just bought a GTX 780M Clevo. Come on AMD, allow me to feel good about my purchase a little bit longer! :p

7. Cloudfire

I take the rumors about beating Titan by a large margin, with a huge truckload of salt.
    But its really interesting to see them dumping the 7990 prices. Almost like they trying to remove stocks to make room for a new card...

About the 9970M beating the 780M, I have difficulty to see where the 9970M is landing in terms of performance.

Is it 20nm? If yes, prepare for some major spanking.
    Is it still GCN but an improved GCN? Meh, probably beat 780M by small margin.
    Is it a brand new architecture? That will be very interesting. Most likely beating 780M by some greater margin.

8. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Notebook Deity

Volcanic Islands are AMD’s codename for next-gen GPUs, but the next-next-gen parts may end up with a more colourful codename – Pirate Islands.Of course, this is just a rumour at this point, so take it with a grain of salt. According to 3Dcenter.org, the new names are indeed legit and they include three GPUs, Bermuna, Fiji and Treasure Island. All three appear to be 20nm parts, which means they’re not coming anytime soon.
    As for Volcanic Islands, the codenames are New Zealand (again), Hawaii, Maui, Iceland and Tonga. They should appear in late 2013, but details are still sketchy. Let's just hope they're more Captain Sparrow than Capitan Morgan.
    TSMC’s 20nm node won’t be ready for mass production as soon as GPU makers would like, hence it should take at least six months before we see the first 20nm Radeons and Geforces.

9. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Deity

We're talking about 28nm to 20nm here. It doesn't matter whether it's AMD or NV doing it (they are both doing it anyway), it's supposed to be faster.

GK110 is a huge chip though. It remains to be seen how big AMD wants its flagship die to be this time.

10. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

I will like to see what AMD will come with...!

11. maverick1989

maverick1989 Notebook Deity

I don't think it is going to be in the 20nm process. For it to be 20nm, GlobalFoundaries would have had to develop, test and prepare commercial libraries for the 20nm IP blocks before AMD could start designing their new GPUs. If AMD is looking to release GPUs in October, they had better be testing them right now. For that to happen, they would have had to design the last year, at which point GF did not have the 20nm process commercially available.

12. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

AMD has flat out said it's an architectural change, on the 28nm process.

13. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

I really don't understand why AMD has not released anything since the 780m is over preforming the 7970m by a long shot, and the rebadge 8970m.

14. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Deity

[​IMG]

Different story then.

15. elmyo

elmyo Notebook Consultant

I have a feeling the jump from the 7970(8970) to the 9970m is going to be massive. It will probably be similar to the 5870m to the 6990m or the 6990m to the 7970, about 60 percent faster than the previous generation. The 8970m wasn't a true upgrade, so I assume the 9970 will probably be in the ballpark of a 9500-10000 GPU score in 3dmark 11.

And then probably 7-8 months later nvidia will leapfrog AMD again and the cycle will continue, and during this entire time, many laptops and laptop gpus will be purchased.

16. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Notebook Deity

maybe thee getting there act together? since Nvidias main guy just jumped ship to google?

17. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Deity

With the same 28nm fab, the only way to make the boost massive is to create a large die, like GK110, which is not cheap.

If the market is willing to pay for that, that's fine. But is it?

18. Neroon

Neroon Newbie

So it looks like the Unveiling is September 25th, at some event. With cards shipping early October.

19. Cloudfire

AMD to Announce GPU Codenamed Hawaii in Hawaii Sept 25 - Bright Side Of News*

20. Cakefish

Cakefish I Shot The Sheriff

Desktop GPUs by October this year. Mobile variants by January next year. NVIDIA Maxwell in summer next year.

That's my super non-scientific predictions!