1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Incoming: AMD 9970M

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Be sure to keep your eyes open in October. That is the month when AMD will be unleashing their new GPU architecture in to the market.
    They chose this month because that is when Battlefield 4 is released which is an AMD evolved title.

Volcanic Island is the codename of the new series of graphic card and is said to be much better than the old GCN. Nobody knows yet if it is built on existing 28nm or the next step, 20nm, but they are sure to put a damper on the party Nvidia is having now with being virtually alone with the high end.

AMD chose to ditch 8000 family and rather start naming them in the 9000 series instead to avoid confusion with the 8000 cards that was just rebadges for OEM partners.

Just recently an invitation from AMD to the industry popped up. With that we learned that the new mobile Graphic cards is part of the "Crystal family"

[image=500]http://cdn.videocardz.com/images/2013/07/AMD-Volcanic-Islands-Course.jpg[/image]

What is even more interesting, is that the french website of Clevo is listing 9970M on the newest models.

http://www.clevo.fr/shop/catalogsearch/result/index/?SID=nkqikrt5emadli3niscsp2gaa2&cartevideo=206&q=ubuntu

Something is coming soon :D

2. 1nstance

1nstance Notebook Evangelist

, and I just ordered a Clevo P370SM with GTX780M :(.

3. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Well we dont know how powerful the 9970M will be. If its built on 20nm then it will be both powerful and pretty cool. If its still built on 28nm, it all depends on how much better this architecture is against GCN (7970M)

:)

4. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

I wonder how much it will outperform the nvidia counterparts if at all and if it will force nvidia to put out a card with bumped clocks to compete.

5. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

I have heard that AMD has been ahead in their 20nm process optimization and the new desktop parts would be made available by March with an announcement in October/November. There was also some news that no mobile graphics would be released this year ceding the market to nVidia in the process. And nVidia is going to delay their Maxwell products by at least 6 months after AMD's cards. This is completely out of the blue.

AMD Jaguar Based Beema And Mullins APUs Confirmed For 2014 - Feature HSA Enhancements
    AMD Volcanic Islands "Hawaii" GPU Confirmed Through AMD's Training Course Website
    AMD Crystal Series Is Next-Generation Mobility GPU Lineup - Feature Volcanic Islands Architecture
    AMD Tahiti Graphic Cards To Last Till Mid-2014 - Not Going To Be Discontinued Prior To Next-Gen Launch
    Report: AMD's Volcanic Islands GPUs Launching in October Without HD 8000 Branding
    AMD to erupt Volcanic Islands GPUs as early as Q4 2013? | PC Perspective
    http://semiaccurate.com/2013/05/20/nvidias-volta-gpu-raises-serious-red-flags-for-the-company/

6. harmattan

harmattan Notebook Evangelist

I guess "soon" does means 3-4 months away nowadays :)

It would be interesting to see AMD come out of the gate with a flagship product for their 20nm chips, but that would be breaking precedent with the past couple die shrinks where the low-mid range came first i.e. where the real volumes are.

7. tron2^

tron2^ Notebook Deity

Well this is crazy if true.
    Something is definitely happening as 8970m is non-apparent.

And if it is built on 20nm fab then this will be da bomb!
    BF4 will be huge and for amd to release new card would make sense.
    Hope it all comes true.

8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Prophet

Could this be AMD's version of an "efficient" family of GPU's? It doesn't make sense to me that they would release the 8970M and a few months later make their own GPU obsolete by releasing a better product.

It's definitely something I am curious about. I literally ordered an Alienware 17 a few hours ago, so, hopefully the 780M can hold its ground.

9. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Rebrands cost nothing to make really so releasing a product soon after is not that odd.

10. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

I dunno if it'll be 20nm. if it is, I think it'll play out like the 28nm launch, where AMD releases first at a high price and Nvidia follows with a slightly faster card a couple months later.

11. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Prophet

The 8970M scores about 7,900 in 3DMark 11. That's not really a rebrand of the 7970M. If AMD releases an even better card, NVIDIA may do the same.

This is interesting... Is AMD trying to get a jump on NVIDIA? Hope that doesn't bite them in the butt down the road.

Edit: I found that number on GPUBoss.

12. maverick1989

maverick1989 Notebook Deity

"Rebrand" usually refers to a GPU being given a different model number (usually) by increasing its core and/or memory clocks in factory. The 8970m is a 7970m with higher clocks.

13. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

But what can nVidia really release? 780m is pretty much the limit of mobile Kepler unless they want to significantly increase TDP. If AMD does release this, they may be king of the heap until next July/August when nVidia Maxwell comes out. Good for AMD. Good for all of us! Competition is good.

14. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Prophet

I've always thought the performance was part of that, lol. Oops... :p

Maybe the 9970M will be a rebrand of the rebrand of the brand. :D

15. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

That number for the 8970m is not correct, svl7 has a real one and it does marginal over the 7970m proving that it is a rebrand.

16. maverick1989

maverick1989 Notebook Deity

I agree. If AMD does release this, they'd have to go over another architecture change when releasing the next line up because that would be competing with Maxwell which should be pretty good if designed well. Technological progress!

17. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Keep in mind that if AMD chooses to announce their 20nm cards in October, it will likely be the desktop cards. The mobile cards coming several months after.

18. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

any word on whether there will be a 9870m or some sort of successor to the 8870m?

The 8870m was interesting because it seemed to be AMD's answer to the 765m, as it was available in a few slim form factor laptops.

19. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

They may call themselves "official Clevo distributors" but Clevo apparently didn't want anything to do with them: Important Notice: Unauthorized websites

Still, nice to finally get a whiff of fresh rumours :D

20. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Seems like everything is amd branded. Seems they are taking over the entire gaming market from NVIDIA.. Interesting..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2