In the market for a new laptop the more research I do more confused I am

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ibhappe, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rommer

rommer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your first link doesn't work -> "You have selected no products to compare. "

2. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Opinions may vary on this, but personally I consider touchscreen to be a useless gimmick.

I can't think of anything I can do more easily by touching the screen than by using a mouse.
    Actually, I take that back, it is in fact much easier to damage or dirty the screen by using the touchscreen, mice do not excel at that particular trick :p

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't know what the Lenovo was, but the Dell Latitude 5590 is a very good choice. In my link, we have the official *new* price for the models you want to buy.

4. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Short answer: i7-xxxxU raises the the price way to much for what you get, and in my opinion partly exists because some customers believe that they need at least an i7, without knowing why.

With desktop processors there's usually a big difference between i5's and i7's of the same generation, but this is not always the case with laptop processors.

The letter U usually means that that the processor is designed to use 15 Watts, and there's simply not enough headroom to make the i7-xxxxU that much faster than the i5-xxxxU in the same generation, even though the price difference can be quite high. For average home and office usage, an i5-xxxxU is more than enough.
    If you want a substantially faster processor than the i5-xxxxU you have to look for "the real" i7 models that draws more power (i.e some other letter than U, or Y, actually). Although this will affect the laptop case, you'll get a thicker, heavier case, usually made for gaming or maybe engineering in mind (like the P51), and it will of course get even more expensive. This is simply not what you're looking for.

Yes. The i5-8250U and the 8350U are excellent processors, with unprecedented performance compared to previous i5 U generations.

If you look at the two Dell models with a 1080 display you can see an example of my reasoning about processors. You would pay $166 more for the i7. It may be worth it to some, but the thing is that the i5-8250U is overkill for your usage already, although $825 is a good price. On paper it's exactly what you want, the review says the display isn't very good but I think it might work for you. It's of course impossible to tell before you've had a look at the display.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Latitude-5590-i5-8250U-IPS-FHD-Laptop-Review.290308.0.html

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Blacky likes this.
  6. ibhappe

ibhappe Newbie

Reputations:
    hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.I would like to say thank you. I truly appreciate the help and feedback I have been given. I feel confident I can make a good choice. Happy Holidays. Blessings

7. ibhappe

ibhappe Newbie

Reputations:
    You know I just need to share how fast you need to be. Twice i have lost the laptop I researched and picked on the Lenova outlet site. Last night it was a matter of five minutes while I took a call and the unit I picked out in which there were two available was in that blink of an eye gone. Moral do not hesitate if you have found what you want.
    Now the only ones available in my criteria on the outlet site are priced higher than if I configured them new.
    The fun continues!

Blacky likes this.
  8. ibhappe

ibhappe Newbie

Reputations:
    WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN
    256GB Solid State Drive, SATA3 OPAL2.0 - Capable (+$100.00)
    AND
    256 GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 M.2 (+$202.00)
    AND WHICH SHOULD I
    CHOOSE?

9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    One is SATA based. The other one is M.2 PCIe.
    The first one looks like this: https://www.storagereview.com/images/StorageReview-Samsung-SSD-850-Pro.jpg and it takes up the same space usually used by a normal laptop HDD.
    The second one looks like this: https://assets.pcmag.com/media/images/483710-wd-blue-3d-ssd-m-2-1tb.jpg?width=810&height=456 and allows you to add a secondary SATA HDD.

The PCIe version is also faster, but only in short bursts. PCIe drives tend to get hot, and when they do, they reduce their speed.

10. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SATA3! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.