In The Market For A New 17.3" Laptop, Which One Should I Get?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by MadMaxNightrider, Nov 12, 2020.

1. MadMaxNightrider

MadMaxNightrider Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 17.3" 1080P Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200 with 8GB RAM & 685GB HDD & Windows 8. I've had it for over 8 years now & it rarely gives me any Trouble. I am in the Market for a New 17.3" Laptop that will Last just as Long as my Toshiba but will be Faster & with a better Graphics Card & Better Display & one that won't Run Hot.

Budget is $1,500.

I will use it for:
    Hooking up HDMI to my HD TV to watch Movies
    Surfing Web
    Downloading Large Files
    Streaming Movies
    Light Gaming
    Moving Large Files to my External Hard Drives.

Need a 17.3" 1080P Laptop that has:
    Excellent Display
    Good Mid Range Graphics Card
    Fast CPU
    At Least 16GB RAM
    At Least 1TB SSD
    Good Keyboard
    Easy To Use
    One that will Last

I Don't Care about these Things:
    The Weight
    Battery Life
    Boot Up Time
    Lighted Keyboard
    How it Looks
    If It's a Touch Screen
    How Noisy It Is.

I've looked at the Dell XPS, HP Envy & Acer Nitro.

Walmart has a Acer Nitro 5 17.3" Full HD 144Hz Display, Intel Core i7, NVIDIA RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, AN517-51-784H FOR Just $1050.00. Is this a Decent Laptop?

What do you Suggest I Look at Buying? Thanks so much.

1) What is your budget?
    $1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    17INCH

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    NO

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    YES

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    DOWNLOADING LARGE FILES, WATCHING MOVIES, WEB BROWSING & MIRRORING LAPTOP TO MY HD TV.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    NO JUST USING AT HOME.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    JUST LIGHT GAMES. NO HEAVY USAGE GAMES.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    DOESN'T MATTER

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    WINDOWS

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080P

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    WHATEVER IS BEST FOR WATCHING MOVIES.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    NO

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1TB SSD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    IN THE NEXT MONTH.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    FOR AT LEAST 5 YEARS.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A WEEK.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    NO

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2020
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Dell XPS 17 offers an excellent FHD+ screen. Looking in the Dell Outlet may produce some savings.

3. MadMaxNightrider

MadMaxNightrider Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks Really Appreciate it. I looked at the Dell XPS but it was just out of my Price Range. It's better to spend a little more & get a Good Solid Laptop that will Last because it's something that I use Everyday. Thanks again.

Is there a Big Difference Between the Dell 17" Gaming & Dell Inspiron 17" VS. The XPS 17. Is it worth paying $500 + to get the XPS 17 you think?

4. ZaZ

Reputations:
    I know you can't get a XPS 17 with a 1TB SSD for $1,500 in the Dell Oultet right now., but the XPS has a 2nd SSD slot, so you add one for much less than Dell will charge you and still be under budget if you feel up to it. Since you're not moving it much, an external mobile drive would be a low cost way to add space as well. You don't need speed for storage. As to worth, that's sort of subjective. I would say drives and memory can be upgrade, but the screen you're stuck with until you sell the notebook and the Dell has probably the best 17" FHD screen within your budget.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For your usage, the Inspiron 17 or HP Envy will more than suffice.

6. MadMaxNightrider

MadMaxNightrider Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Guys. I can get the Base Model XPS 17 for $1350 with 8gb ram & 256gb hd with a i5 Processor & UHD Graphics Card. Should I get this or buy a Inspiron or Envy with more ram or hd.
    What would bet the Difference in my 8 year old Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200 vs the XPS 17 Base Model?

7. ZaZ

Reputations:
    I would say the most noticeable difference will be the display and the SSD. The LCD on the XPS will be brighter, offer more contrast and wide viewing angles. The SSD will make the XPS feel significantly peppier. Given that your needs are modest and if your still happy with your Toshiba otherwise, you might want to just toss a SSD in your Toshiba. That'll make it more snappy. The XPS won't offer a significant performance bump for general usage over the Toshiba. A new 1TB SSD is probably $100 versus the cost of a new notebook. That longer you can hold out, the better value you'll get down the road.

JRE84 likes this.
  8. MadMaxNightrider

MadMaxNightrider Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks ZaZ, Really Appreciate it Very Much. Would it be Difficult to Install an SSD in my Toshiba Satellite? The Main Thing That I Notice about my Toshiba that makes me want to get a New Laptop is the Boot Time Takes about 45 - 55 seconds, When I Move Large Files from or to my Laptop it Considerably Slows down the speed. Like when I click on an Icon while I'm moving Large Files & the Click Reacts like 5 - 10 seconds later. So when I'm Moving Files I can Basically only do that one thing.

Would an SSD make the Difference in Speed? Would I have to Load Windows 8 on the SSD or would I be just using the SSD for Storage because I don't know how I would load Windows 8 on it because my Toshiba already came with it Pre-Installed. I have no Disc or License Code for Windows OS.

My Toshiba is over 8 years old & I Figure that it could Crap out on me any day now. So I have been looking at New Laptops to Replace it. Would like to have an Upgrade from it but you said the XPS wouldn't be much of a Difference according to what I would use it for. I paid about $850 for my Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200 & it has outlasted both my other 2 Laptops put together.

Would Upgrading the RAM as well be worth the money or should I just keep it at 8GB? I notice when I am Playing Online Games that my Toshiba will overheat in after about 20 minutes & the Gameplay is very slow & jerky. That must be the Graphics Card. I guess it's not made for Online Gaming. The Temperature will get to almost 118F Degrees sometimes.

I use my Laptop for Watching HD Movies, Moving Large Files to my External Hard Drives, Downloading Large Files, Hooking my HD TV to my Laptop & watching Movies through it using an HDMI Cable & Light Online Gaming.

So there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference between my 8+ year old Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200 vs a New Dell XPS Base Model & it Cost more than $500 more than I paid for my Toshiba? Thanks for the Advice.

9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think it's time for a new PC. Technology has evolved in leaps and bounds in the last 8 years. Today's processors are more responsive and storage speeds have increased considerably. @saturnotaku made some good recommendations; there's no need to spend your full budget for what you need.
    The CPU isn't terribly important; focus on 16GB of RAM, a 1080p (1,920-by-1,080-pixel) screen, and a 1TB SSD.

Charles

10. ZaZ

Reputations:
    A new SSD should significantly cut the boot time. I'm sure there's a relevant video on YouTube showing how to do it. Check the maintenance manual too. If you put a new SSD in your Toshiba you will have to reinstall Windows. Typically when you buy a a new PC, they allow you to make a set of recovery discs or recovery flash drive you can use to reinstall the OS. If you're on the original hard drive and haven't made them yet, I would think it's still an option, though I'm not super familiar with Tosgibas. If you can find a Windows disc, you could do it that way too.

The Toshiba, particularly with a quad core, is still a pretty good daily driver in my opinion. I have a Mac with a dual core from the same era. It surfs and plays movies just fine with only 4GB of memory. If you're Toshiba is still running well, I see no reason it won't last a few more years. Not sure about the over heating. You might want clean the fan or re-paste it.