In other news - drunk college student gets shot and gets persecuted for a felony?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HTWingNut, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    No you don't know. But unless you're being attacked or pinned down and can't do anything else, no laws allow for blatantly shooting someone that I know of. And morally it's wrong imho. It still doesn't give someone the right to take someone else's life just because they enter your home. If she had charged them with or without a weapon or made threatening gestures sure. But I can't imagine there wasn't opportunity to figure out what was going on especially with a clearly drunk out of her mind college student.

2. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    At least they didn't shoot to kill her, it appears they only shot to stop her.

Drunks can be violent.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

3. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    fair, you miss understand me, note where I said "if I feel some is threatening"... I'm gonna have a reason... seriously, but if some big guy comes in my house and if he won't leave I'll grab the kitchen knife or what ever it takes.

BTW I don't own a gun and never will don't need to gun to kill someone if you really need to... it's just much easier.

Oh and Calling the cops isn't that useful when they take 15min to get there...

4. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Colorado court records show that Ripple was previously arrested on suspicion of shoplifting in Broomfield in 2010 and pleaded guilty. The charge was dismissed after a deferred sentence, records show. lol

5. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    I basically agree with this, except I think @Qing Dao that maybe the information was presented incorrectly to you or you missed something about the charges filed against the girl.

Obviously if the home owners had all of the information in advance, they shouldn't have shot the girl. It's pretty clear that their decision was made before they had a chance to get all of the information. In the context of someone invading your home in the night, I believe the risks are high enough to merit that heavy action.

I would say that before they had time to get the complete picture, from the perspective of the homeowners, their probably perceived that their life was in immediate peril, and reasonably so.

The felony charges are a totally separate issue. That has nothing to do with the homeowners, but rests entirely upon the D.A. - afaik.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I'm with the rest on this story. Yes, the homeowner was in the complete legal right, though it might have been a bit much, but yet again they had no idea who this person was. Even ignoring this girl's criminal past, I would not hesitate to a situation where an unknown person is in my house; I'd grab a weapon and warn that person to leave, or get shot as well. Doesn't matter if it's a "petite blonde college girl" or a big biker dude (speaking of which, seems a little sexist to think that said girl couldn't cause harm), trespassing is trespassing. Maybe the girl could have had a knife hidden somewhere on her person, or she could have tried stealing something from the home. Yes, in hindsight we know better, but I wouldn't expect the homeowner to have taken the time to risk that chance (especially after the woman ignored his calls to leave).

Still iffy on the felony charges, but I certainly think that the homeowner is in the clear for using a weapon to defend his "castle". Being around drunk college guys and gals the last two semesters, I wouldn't chance it, even if some college student is a nice and innocent person sober.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Well I would have done is give a verbal warning with the gun drawn, and if they don't back down I would fire a warning shot. But I don't see how it isn't justified, if YOUR home was broken into, what would YOU do? I'll be protecting myself and my family at all costs.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Of course most people would do anything to protect their family. I have two little kids. My first and only thought is to make sure they're safe which sure as heck wouldn't be drawing a gun and confronting the perpetrator unless absolutely necessary. I'd be shoving my kids out the window if I had to and running to the neighbors to call cops or whatever.

Just from the story it doesn't sound like the person was not being belligerent, lunging or attacking the people. The couple only called the cops after they fired the shot. She wasn't armed, didn't have any intent to do harm to them or their property. I'm not saying it's perfectly ok for people to wander into people's homes drunk in the middle of the night, that would really freak me out, but felony charges and a gun fired is a bit over the top imho. Anyone found guilty of doing this needs to be punished, but if death, being shot, and a felony charge is an acceptable punishment for being drunk and stupid without any intent to cause harm, we have a much bigger problem.

9. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I believe that's what happened.

Drunk Woman Wanders into Colorado Couple's Home, Gets Shot - ABC News

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    There's a discrepancy there. In the video they say they called right after they shot her. In the written story it says they called when she stepped in the room. In any case, I'm seeing that she was more aggressive than the original story led on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.