In need of a gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by dave1780, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I feel like mythlogic at least used to be overpriced. You can obviously spec it out but I don't remember them being good.

dave1780 likes this.
  2. dave1780

dave1780 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Hm I think in still gonna stick with a Clevo :p. I kinda like the MSI but I'm not too sure..

What do you guys think of this laptop from pro-star?? Added a screenshot as an attachment.. is there a way to get in touch with pro-star on this forum for a discount code of some sort?

Attached Files:

3. dave1780

Reputations:
    So I think I'm going with that laptop from pro-star. I got a coupon code from them, and they've got stuff on sale right now.

I do have a couple questions though if anyone can help me out.

I know this laptop is relatively thin, so I'm not sure whether or not the 6820hk is worth getting for gaming(I'm assuming it would make more heat ). I'm not sure on how to over clock anyways, so if I didn't plan on it, or at least for now, wouldn't it be worth it? It's only 75$ more than the lower processor.

Also, they have a special for 32gb of RAM. I'm guessing that's also over kill for gaming, but would be worth getting since it's half price right now? Or should I go for 16gb? They have "16GB, Kingston Hyper X CL14 DDR4 2400MHz - 1 x 16GB" which is 40$ more expensive than their regular 2400mh 16gb 1x... is it worth it?

Sorry for all the random questions

4. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the ram specs are the same, 4 sticks is better than 2 sticks

5. dave1780

Reputations:
    Gotcha.. I'll stick with just 16gb. I doubt 32gb would even really be used in gaming tbh, and I could always upgrade myself in the future.

Now I'm trying to figure out the hard drives.. I have two hard drives already, I think one is a Samsung evo 250gb ssd drive, the other is a 500gb 7200rpm drive. I think I wiped both drives, but they are both a few years old, if not more.

Would it be best to just buy new hard drives? Im not exactly sure what the msata drive is; I'm thinking it's mainly for the OS to be installed on? I was thinking the 1tb 7200rpm drive for storage, and if that is what the msata drive is for, maybe either a 128 or 256gb ssd?

6. Galm

Reputations:
    What why? Isn't it dual channel?

Also OP, the cpu should be more than enough for most games. There are some games that can be notoriously cpu intensive like Arma 3 or rts games.

7. dave1780

Reputations:

I decided to go with 2x8gb sticks ; if I ever needed more , I can probably find it online for roughly the same price, maybe a little more expensive, but I doubt I will!

And yeah I was reading about the CPUs that were available. I decided not to go with the 6820hk, I wasn't going to over clock it and honestly I don't think there's a huge difference between the two in that case!

I put my order in with pro-star!! It was $1730 which is pretty good I think!

They're very professional and even called me on the phone to confirm i was ordering and to confirm my address and everything.

I'll be getting the p653rg-s with the 6700hq processor, 16gb ram, nvidia 980m, 1tb hard drive, green backlit keyboard, etc etc.

They estimated that I should get the laptop around the 26th of this month, so that's not too bad I don't think!

I did have one question that I was going to ask them but forgot; if I want to put a second hard drive in the new laptop, how would I do that?? My old one had the optical drive removed and replaced with a hard drive caddy. I'm not sure if I should buy one or something, lol

8. dave1780

Reputations:

I decided to go with 2x8gb sticks ; if I ever needed more , I can probably find it online for roughly the same price, maybe a little more expensive, but I doubt I will!

And yeah I was reading about the CPUs that were available. I decided not to go with the 6820hk, I wasn't going to over clock it and honestly I don't think there's a huge difference between the two in that case!

I put my order in with pro-star!! It was $1730 which is pretty good I think!

They're very professional and even called me on the phone to confirm i was ordering and to confirm my address and everything.

I'll be getting the p653rg-s with the 6700hq processor, 16gb ram, nvidia 980m, 1tb hard drive, green backlit keyboard, etc etc.

They estimated that I should get the laptop around the 26th of this month, so that's not too bad I don't think!

I did have one question that I was going to ask them but forgot; if I want to put a second hard drive in the new laptop, how would I do that?? My old one had the optical drive removed and replaced with a hard drive caddy. I'm not sure

9. dave1780

Reputations:
    Edit: holy crap my phone posted the same thing three times... so sorry!!!

10. Galm

Reputations:
    Awesome! So don't worry about triple posting the site screws up sometimes.

A 6820hk without overclocking is like 5% better so yeah not worth it.

Adding a second drive involves taking off the back plate of the laptop. Its not too bad, though maybe you should watch a video on how to do it if you've never tried before. The laptop has 2 2.5" bays for hard drives or solid state drives and 2 m.2 bays so you can have 4 drives if you want!

11. dave1780

Reputations:

I can't quite remember the set up of my old clevo laptop, but it did have two hard drive spots(one was in place of the optical drive). It's easy to get in there, I just don't know if I can just open the laptop up and throws in my ssd drive in the other slot.

And yeah 5% won't be too noticeable haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.