In need of a gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by dave1780, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave1780

dave1780 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm finally replacing my malibal p150hm after selling it a couple months ago.. I miss gaming but just can't wait for the Pascal cards to be sold in laptops. I'm really looking at the NP 8658, I like the thin laptop and the metal design on the cover, and am just a Clevo fan, I guess.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? 2000$ usd

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: clevo
    b. Dislike: Dell, hp, alienware
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Gaming, WoW, Doom, other new games

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mobile

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? WoW, Doom

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Doesn't matter

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Just need pictures

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)1920x1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.) I would like glossy but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen unless i get a 4k screen. Matte is fine

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes

15) When are you buying this laptop? Within two weeks

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 2+ years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? Doesn't matter

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? Nope

==========

I was also kinda wondering if any resellers have any usable promo codes they can share with me to persuade me to buying from them ;). Not sure if this is an okay request on the forums so I'm sorry if not!

Anyone have any recommendations for laptops? I was checking out malibal and xoticpc but it's a hard choice with xoticpc having so many choices!

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    NP8658 is pretty amazing. Literally would just go with that. Nothing else with GSync has such a good form factor, and its cooling is great. Your already looking at what's one of the best laptops out. You should be really happy with it, its one of the most recommended laptops here.

Other options include the MSI GE62, Asus GL502, and Gigabyte P35X. I would go with the NP8658 though.

3. dave1780

Reputations:
    Oh lmao I must have good taste then xD. It's not even that expensive; customized a decent rig on malibal 's website for roughly 1700$ with the 980, etc etc. Hopefully a malibal staff member sees my thread and maybe has a coupon code! They did about 4 years ago when I bought my previous laptop!

I'll most likely end up buying that one, I'm seeing a lot of reviews and positive feedback :). Would you recommend a reseller other than malibal?

4. Galm

Reputations:
    Malibal is one that doesn't even come up too often. I kinda forgot about them lol.

XoticPC, Eurocom, LPC-Digital and Prostar are all other good options. LPC-Digital has great customer service. XoticPC is good too but they aren't very fast. Eurocom also has a ton of extra customization options like picking VRAM and stuff.

5. dave1780

Reputations:
    Yeah i don't see them on the forum often. I had purchased my previous laptop from them and they seem relatively cheap compared to xoticpc for that laptop. I'll check the other resellers out though!

6. Galm

Reputations:
    Malibal seems to charge 125 for a 4k screen and another 80 to add GSync, while Xotic doesn't, which is interesting.

7. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    I thought Malibal was thrown out of this forum some years ago.

8. dave1780

Reputations:
    Maybe that's why I never see them post to anyone's threads or anything xD. I liked how they don't charge for Windows 10 although xoticpc does on the configurations I checked out. Obviously they charge but while w10 has no additional charge at malibal, xoticpc costs the ~80$!

Gonna check the other resellers though, after hearing that!

Also, malibal has a special to get gsync free(at least on the laptop I checked out)

9. Galm

Reputations:
    Lol probably because almost everyone else isn't going to charge you extra. Not much of a "deal".

10. dave1780

Reputations:
    Well i just meant for instance that malibal could configure a laptop for 1670$, but xoticpc would be 1800$(w10 pro). That's all haha. But yeah I'll most likely go with someone else. Would anyone recommend mythlogic? I haven't seen them in forever either but I did have them upgrade my graphics card and they seemed decent from their customer service at least. I'm liking lpc digital from their website :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.