Impulse Buy, Two AW17R4-7345SLV-PUS. What Do?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by VWDieselJunkie, Jun 25, 2018.

1. c69k

c69k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Try playing with settings of sound center. If not set properly, sound can be very flat. It is a blue alien head icon in taskbar near battery icon.

With the arrow on the right side in main panel you move to equalizer page to fine tune.

2. l4k3rkb

l4k3rkb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check my post here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/17-r4-1080-7820hk-audio-quality-settings.813018/#post-10

VWDieselJunkie likes this.
  3. VWDieselJunkie

VWDieselJunkie Newbie

Reputations:
    I'll go back through those settings when I get back to the room tonight. My issues sound very similar to that poster's problem.

To my ears, it sounds like having a significantly under-powered source playing at max volume to too-large of a speaker. Like there isn't enough wattage to gain any appreciable volume, and the sound is fuzzy and distorted.

Sounds decent playing over the laptop speakers, but nearly garbled via earbuds or headset. Reminds me of old 15 watt stock automotive head units after installing 500 watt replacement speakers in place of the 15 watt originals. Sounds like it needs an amp.

4. VWDieselJunkie

VWDieselJunkie Newbie

Reputations:
    I've played around with all the settings in the AW Sound Control, all to max, all off, the effect it has, if any, is negligible to my ears. I honestly can't hear it doing anything. Sound is still vaguely decent from the laptop speakers, but absolute unintelligible garbage from any earphones/earbuds. It literally sounds like I'm playing sounds through a homemade paper-plate speaker.

5. VWDieselJunkie

VWDieselJunkie Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, that was short lived. Just over a week of ownership, and it is already on it's way to depot for motherboard replacement.