Implications and objections to VR

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hertzian56, Apr 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was rewatching Brainstorm and thinking of Videodrome and I just can't see how anyone would want to touch VR. Why give up a large part of your mind to some corporate master for the sake of entertainment? And at a large cost to yourself in hardware and software, seems absurd to me. Kinda like android apps and win10 they should be paying US for our information. The apps and software you pay for in those categories mentioned just take and sell your information anyways, egregious. Believe me the elite would want nothing more than you to be like the pod person as depicted in the Matrix, you are nothing but a sort of battery to them. Why cooperate, at your own expense, to be entertained? to get some empty stimulation for a few hours? In these scary times where we see the police psyop state in full function and realize that the vast majority are just mindless drones how can you support it? some tags are disallowed bc they are censored btw

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think you dropped your tinfoil hat.

cucubits and TheReciever like this.
  3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    DCS World is amazing in VR tho...

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not sure how VR experiences are any different than the phones, smart tv's, personal assistants, security cameras and all sorts of other IoT devices people are willingly using in their homes and on their person from a surveillance and data safety standpoint.

How is a VR game any different from any other game from this standpoint? You might as well just sell all your technology because you are part of the product with practically all of it.

Prototime, killkenny1 and cucubits like this.
  5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This pretty much sums it up. Only difference is that you sit much much closer to the monitor and use two fancy mice.

It truly is a great time to get into VR now. With Alyx raising the bar so high so suddenly, I can't wait to see what other games with start showing up in the near future.

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol 1 more for tinfoil hat missing...give me your paypal addy so I can send you money for a new tinfoil hat

7. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whatever, I'll just come here if I need some help w some definite thing, the rest I'll leave to you mental giants who know it all, take the tin foil hat and stuff it where (you geniuses fill in the blank here).

8. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Come on, we're all friends here. Although, I guess you do realize how much non sense there is in your initial post? With the myriad of connected devices surrounding us, do you really think a VR setup is the one we should be worried about? Honestly now, what's different with VR compared to playing a game on a large monitor, viewed at a very high level?

JRE84 and killkenny1 like this.
  9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thread is closed as it's not directly related to gaming and has the possibility of turning political.

Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.