I'm back! Acer Predator Helios 300, and already modding it

Discussion in 'Acer' started by mulzoffh, Sep 29, 2017.

1. mulzoffh

mulzoffh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here is my Unigine Valley Benchmark scores. This is ultra preset with 8x AA, basically max settings. This is with +100 on the core on top of the shunt mod

Attached Files:

Vasudev likes this.
  2. mulzoffh

mulzoffh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here is my gpu under load in furmark in gpu-z. You see the moment it goes under load, the clocks go up and stay. They move around a tiny bit due to VREG, brings voltage from 1.062 to 1.05, so it starts at around 1974 mhz then drops to 1949 mhz with the small voltage drop. I am not sure why I hit VREG yet.

Attached Files:

Vasudev likes this.
  3. brainer

brainer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Very cool stuff you have done here! I have the same laptop as you do. I was wondering how is this different from the software approach using something like msi afterburner to make your gpu run at a constant frequency all the time and stay at a specific voltage?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. mulzoffh

mulzoffh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There is no software way of doing it without bios mods which aren't available yet. We can't adjust power limits in MSI afterburner, and on top of that the stock tdp wall stock clocks get smacked down by them.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Stupid question:
    Is it mandatory to solder it? I have some heat resistant Kapton tape, cant I just tape a piece of wire there ?

Also, which side of the motherboard are those resistors? Do I need to remove the mb and flip it or removing the bottom panel is enough?

What is the GPU temp after this mod/oc after a few hours of gaming (with games that are using 100% GPU)?

Vasudev and Starlight5 like this.
  6. mulzoffh

mulzoffh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is not, but is the best method I believe as it won't come undone. They are on the underside so you will need to remove the MB to get to them. I see no more then high 70s without my laptop cooler, and with the cooling mods done so far. I just added my copper shims to the heatpipes tonight.

7. mulzoffh

mulzoffh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So a couple updates, I had a weird issue with my GPU pop up after good old punkbuster decided to crash a game and the 3d device at the same time. I could not get the 1060 to work for more then a couple minutes at a time. After a warranty replacement motherboard, I am not sure if my mod caused the problem or not, but alas I have dove into the correct way of doing it and I have successfully modded the vbios via hex to unlock the tdp limit adjustment, and raised it as well. My only problem now is we have a secureflash insyde bios, and with the mod done it does not let me flash the bios. Time to figure out a way around.