I'll have an M1330, hold the Guinness!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by traveller, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And the good news is, my M1330, which I ordered Sep. 19th, is already with UPS and scheduled to arrive Fri (Sep 28th)... :)

The other good news, at least I think it's good news, well I hope it's good news, it is good news, isn't it... :confused:

...is that my M1330 was apparently built in Limerick... ! Seems that IE's headquarters for all of EU (as well as Africa & Middle East).

On one hand, that's great news, seeing as several of MeM8s are Irish and very respectable chaps, but the bad news is, they all love their Guinness a bit too much... :eek:

So, aside from my already long list of possible M1330 issues, I'm gonna freak if I see any Guinness stains on my new Notebook... (roflmao!!!)
    :err: ... :wideeyed: ... :nah:

[edit]
    "Raw materials are delivered just in time through forty dock doors on one side of the building, manufactured in cells by teams and rigorously tested*. The finished computers are then dispatched via another forty doors on the other side of the building, destined for direct delivery to customers' offices and homes throughout Europe, Middle East and Africa."

*Yeah, well, I think they need to enhance the test process to include the it wobbles, enclose bottle cap test, the "HDD don't quite fit, hand me that hammer, m8" test, the ... lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  2. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    and the good news is my M1330 did arrive Fri! :D

The forum's already filled with private reviews and even more issues posts, so I won't re-invent the wheel but I will quickly say that I'm not sure if we all define "build quality" the same or who's to blame for said build quality.

I believe the assembly process is ok (not great, not terrible) - but more accurately stated, the parts may not fit correctly when assembled and thus, it's all really a manufacturing issue. The manufacturing tolerences are clearly not in line with, say, NASA standards and it's up to each owner to decide if said tolerances are within their own personal expectations, particularly when factoring the price he/she paid for their M1330.

I've pictorially documented* the good, the bad & downright fugly I have so far noted with my particular unit, but in the end, I can say that I am quite happy with the outcome and I [currently] see no reason to repair / refit or replace it!

In terms of my own Hype vs. anti-hype post, I'm pleased to say that the hype wins :D

*What is not apparent in my pictorial is:
    • no wobble
    • no notably-audible** CPU whine
    • no battery-charging whine
    • Panel could be characterized as grainy***
    • But... NO DEAD PIXELS :D
    • 95% of the keys don't flex (the other 5% are @Middle-right)
    • Mic. Array is sensitive enough, if not noise-free enough...
    • Headphone jacks are fine****
    • No apparent creaking (discovered yet...)
    • Fan properly throttles down a few mins after cpu-load removed
    • Panasonic seems to eject discs upon demand (via OS & touch-sensitive key)

**I'm guessing I've attened a whole lot more rock concerts in my lifetime than the average M1330 owner - i.e., I saw the Rolloing Stones before they had grey hair... ;)
    ***but it's my first gloss-based panel and the Sony SZ I demoed recently had the same "look" to it. In any case, quite acceptible imho!
    ****Well, the left-most port does seem to have a high-pitched noise that is barely-noticable when NOT playing anything.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  3. Les

Les Not associated with NotebookReview in any way

Reputations:
    Great Piks...best Ive seen yet!

Worth all my reps.

4. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thx & Thx :D

Fyi, I used a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) with Canon's 60mm EF-S / Macro lens, all in natural lighting (using a tripod). The XPS M1330 was the excuse I needed to try some "still photography". Model cars & potted plants just ain't my thing... rofl :p

5. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    Hot pics. Love this laptop.

6. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thx, I hope to add a few more to te set this weekend!

7. MacG!ver

MacG!ver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will you be returning yours, or requesting a replacement? After seeing those pictures...well they screwed you. Thats terrible build quality! This thing costs 2k+ (with taxes) and its absolutely incredible that they do such a crappy job of assembling it.

Mine will most likely arrive in the next days, but after reading sooooo many build-quality issues, I'm pretty sure I'll be returning it, unless it is perfect in every single aspect of build quality, and those chances are probably in the 5-10% range at best.

8. lordnikon

lordnikon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Funny thing is the replacement won't necessarily mean it would be better. They all have some minor faults.

9. MacG!ver

MacG!ver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exactly, so I've heard. Thats why I said that if mine has faults I will demand my money back. For 2100$ there should be NO faults.

10. traveller

traveller Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, as I already noted in my post below, I won't be returning/replacing it. If you consider the list of problems it doesn't have (see my bullet-list) then I would say I did pretty good...

Again, it's not so much assembly as manufacturing problems. Ever bought something from Ikea? Sometimes the parts just don't fit properly because of manufacturing tolerences (or defects). This is the real problem with the XPS M1330.

Last but not least, you're right, for the $$$ (€€€, etc.) one would hope for better quality, but... when all is said & done & you're actually using it in normal working conditions (& in normal lighting)*, the XPS M1330 is really such a nice mix of design & power in a compact frame that I bet you won't be returning it... :D

*Those close-up shots are just that, macro shots & from half a meter away, the faults are not nearly as bad ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.