IFA 2017 Asus's new gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DRevan, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Or how to use non-garbage pail speakers.

Bottom line is Asus charges way too much for the quality they actually give you.

144Hz G-Sync is definitely a huge get though.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    And, that 144hz display technology is supposed to make it throughout the Asus laptop line, unlike the 4k 18.4" custom one designed for the GX800.

IDK what you guys are selling, but Asus makes great products, and all of my Asus laptops have had top performance, cooling, and quality with only 1 out of 7 of them needing a GPU replacement - ATI Crossfire Asus W90.

The very thin tablet like Asus models use extremely thin materials, but the gaming laptops especially the large frame ones using external metal skins are very sturdy.

With high end audio experience, no laptop sounds good to me and I only use the internal speakers when required, otherwise I use portable BT or other external speakers for audio.

It's tough to hear such condemnation of Asus when I have used so many that ran great personally, and helped hundreds (thousands?) of others over many years - only rarely needing to recommend RMA for problems.

IDK why it's popular to crap on Asus, I don't personally see the issues, and only rarely have helped people with egregious RMA problems - mostly in foreign countries with labor issues.

Asus has been there for gamers for a long time developing cutting edge technology and making it affordable in most of their offerings. The halo laptops in every brand are overpriced due to small run production, but otherwise the main products are affordable.

Just tired of hearing the BS train roll in every time Asus comes out with something new and cool. Please knock it off :)

ShotOfB12 likes this.
  3. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I only hate on Asus right now because I wanted to like the GL702 so bad but they cheaped out on the thermal system design. They put a 1070 in there knowing full well that their tiny two pipes weren't enough to cool it down. The GL703 is further proof that they know their thermal design won't effectively cool a 1070 which is why they decided to only release it with the 1060.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Asus aren't going to design a custom heat-pipe without knowing the exact thermal requirements for each GPU they hope to use, especially with the difference in thermal output being so high between 1060, 1070, 1080.

2 - 5+ heatpipes as count is important, but thickness and width also count heavily toward capacity, so 2 different 2 pipe solutions can carry vastly different amounts of thermal energy.

If you are only seen the design for a 1060 then you haven't seen the design for the 1070, and that would include different piping for cooling.

With the newer laptops having full 1070 with better cooling components, they seem to be doing pretty well, without stooping to use a Max-Q GPU I am happy to see:

New Product Showcase! MSI GE63VR Raider with GTX 1070 – Review/Benchmarks/Assembly

If MSI can do this, then so can Asus, and other makers.

This thread is supposed to be about the thick and powerful Asus ROG Chimera, far and away *not* a thin and light solution, full powered cooling and power for a 1080 @ 144 FPS, much more my kind of gaming laptop :)

5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Serious question. What is the last Asus you've owned?

There was absolutely a point where their build quality began to slide.

hmscott likes this.
  6. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was only letting the other poster know why I have been hating on Asus. From the looks of the 1070 equipped 702, the thermal system looks exactly the same as the one with the 1060 and that's what makes me mad. It feels like the 1070 was an after thought for the 702 and Asus could have easily done what MSI did with the Raider which I believe is thinner than the 702.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Do you have links to the 2 different laptops, the one with the 1060 and 1070 internals? It would be odd to see Asus (or anyone) to make sure a huge and easily seen design mistake.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    The reports from owners of the newest machines like the GX800 and Zephyrus GX501 and other newest releases are that they are well made and they are all very happy with their purchases, no thermal problems, no build problems, nothing to complain about.

All the newest laptops for Asus I have personally seen - and I don't buy them for myself because I have enough computers right now - have been excellent in build quality and operation, and handle and feel much like the last series I personally owned, the G750 series.

I wouldn't have a problem buying any laptop made by Asus but I am buying other brands too, recently it's mostly MSI. You can't own all the laptops at the same time, even though there are people here that try ;)

There isn't any point in time where Asus quality went down, that's also BS. Sorry, but recent reports from so many people that are happy with their laptops all run counter to your narrative that Asus has problems, they don't.

There are always reports of people with problems with any product, it's no more so for Asus than other companies, but when it happens to you it's personal, so I understand the issue - I just don't understand the life long vendetta's people have over simple computer problems.

Life's too short to get stuck in a loop, especially a sad and depressing one, I move on to the next situation and deal with it fresh and new. I find that giving a product or company a second chance more often than not works great, sometimes it takes a few try's ;)

I have had so many problems with computers in my life, every day of my life since I was young, so every new one is but a minor event, even the major events caused by problems with hundreds or thousands of computers that crumble people's will to live, I brush off and solve.

Maybe my perspective is a bit too unusual, if you want to suffer the small problems in life, with a mission to warn others for retribution please do, I understand the small benefit that gives for relief.

I see it in people frequently in my work when I come fresh into a new situation, and I try to help them through and out of it to get on with the job at hand, so I've got no problem working it out with you too. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    We both know some prefer squeezing down costs. For more earnings:D

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Sometimes they gotta put more of the cash into the hook and reduce the cost of the potato ;)

There is more and more affordable cutting edge tech to put into laptops, it's gonna keep getting better from here on out :)

Papusan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.