IFA 2017 Asus's new gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DRevan, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The thin and light laptops have the air of expectation of running hot and under performing for the most part, as it's impossible to "fool mother nature" and pack 10lbs of cooling into a 2lb sack :)

It's not realistic to expect good cooling for sustained heavy loads on a laptop without the volume and mass to contain adequate cooling.

Asus makes larger frame laptops that do run cooler, and those are the ones I was talking about.

If you want a thin and light laptop with gaming performance, it's going to be compromised by it's physical limitations, there's no way around that.

Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  2. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know man. There are a lot of reviews on the G752 that say it runs pretty hot.

Then you look at something like the MSI Raider which by all accounts is pretty thin yet under stress, it's CPU hits 83 and GPU hits 65 bone stock.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    All the reviews of laptops up till recently haven't undervolted, so the CPU's are always appearing to run hot and the GPU's are more along the lines of what we'd expect / hope for.

You have to allow 5c-10c temperature reductions at load after undervolting, which puts most review temps under 90c, and 93c is the thermal throttling point.

You can get bigger reductions by doing re-pasting, but it's unnecessary for most people, as their usage won't hit sustained high temperatures.

Running G-sync or RTSS frame limiter can cover the rest of the excesses - running games at unlimited frame rates runs the GPU and CPU at highest load levels - unnecessary rendering past refresh.

You can dump a lot of heat generation by using RTSS to limit framerate, and it works better than V-sync + G-sync.

Reviewers usually spend more time "unboxing" than actually tuning the laptop for best results when benchmarking. :)
    Link? Did they undervolt or otherwise tune for good temps? It doesn't sound like the load was very high if they only got to 83c CPU.

4. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    I definitely agree with limiting the frames and I never understood why people don't do it.

Here is a link for the Raider. Let me know what your thoughts are.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    CPU results are a bit low, but to be expected given it's the lowest end 45w locked CPU, not a problem but it'll run cooler by default.

The CPU temp is good, but again it's not running very fast stock and stock is locked, so that's it.

The GPU temp is great too, but they usually are cool.

It's a full 1070, so good performance in the tests, but it can do better - running Turbo or manually via MSI Afterburner + XTU for undervolting - running even cooler.

Maybe MSI has reduced the default CPU voltage, something to check for when you get one ;)

The noise readings are lower than the Max-Q 1070 / Max-Q 1080 measured in the same way by GentechPC, check out their review videos to compare dBA at rear of the laptops.

Looks like a winner :)

6. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    I'm definitely thinking about getting one. I wanted to wait and see how the GL703 Scar performs first before making a decision.

hmscott likes this.
  7. scorpio187

scorpio187 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You read my mind, mate. That's what's been holding me back. Those bezels are thick as hell, specially the bottom.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Nice seeing some OEMs don't go Dellienware's route and make their most powerful models thinner and thinner + lighter (Alienware prefer larger footprint. Aka will make it more portable:rolleyes:). Thick and big doesn't make it any better for Asus. It's still a Turd!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  9. praetorianx

praetorianx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Starting @ $2.999
    Hmmm

hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.
  10. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So...around the price of an MSI GT75VR.

hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.