IFA 2017 Asus's new gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DRevan, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let's see if Asus have a decent panel without backbleeding! It seems the panel cover is quite solid.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's been many years since they've done a removable CPU, my last one from Asus was the W90vp 18" large frame 2x AMD GPU laptop.

For the most part the 45w laptop part delivers performance enough to drive the GPU, and doesn't require as much power or cooling, which fits in the laptop models.

Cooling a 95w part can be done, the 15.6" MSI 16L13 LGA CPU is a niche model for MSI, with rumors of a 18L13(?) 17.3" LGA CPU model, neither mainstream models. Check those out if you require a 95w CPU.

Maybe the 17.3" MSI 18L13(?) when it finally arrives will have the 144hz display as an available option :)

Papusan likes this.
  3. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Unless Asus monopolize this 144 hz panel.
    Full hd Chi Mei 120 hz panel is MSI only and 120 hz full hd AUO IPS panel is Asus only. At least with G-Sync, since only Asus got G-Sync certification so if you find a Clevo reseller who offers this AUO panel, it will not have G-Sync.
    tl;dr there is a high chance that this 144 hz panel with G-Sync support will be Asus only.

4. 4004

4004 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I don't really need one, but figured if they were going for an enthusiast, top line machine, could've tried a desktop part.

It's a shame if they get an exclusive on the panel, but that's how business is nowadays, an the yields on it are probably low. But probably enough to cover Chimera demand (yeah, I don't expect it to be a massive success)

5. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL at Gstink on a 144hz 7ms display. Why would you need it? Hell, most people I know turn off GSYNC if their panel has a high refresh rate and response time. GSYNC on laptops is a scam. It's software based rather than hardware based like it is on external monitors. GSYNC is just another feature they can add to the specifications to increase the price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Papusan, praetorianx and hmscott like this.
  6. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    How do you figure? Their are some Chi Mei panels in laptops with a 3ms response time.

hmscott likes this.
  7. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    And maybe Asus can ask MSI how to build and design a decent thermal system.

ThePerfectStorm likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    It the technology is there to be implemented, someone else will do it eventually if the demand and production sizes warrant it.

Asus is good at coming out with their own unique laptop displays. They did a really nice 18.4" 4k display for the GX800, while everyone else is stuck with the decade old 1080p panels.

Even though there's a lot of talk here about LGA being superior to BGA, they are really talking about the performance difference between 45w and 95w power limited CPU's.

There isn't the demand for 95w CPU's in laptops, it makes them large, loud, and hot, and most people don't want that even in a top enthusiast gaming laptop. And that's what a 144hz laptop is aimed at, gaming enthusiasts.

Maybe the MSI 17.3" 18L13(?) will put all the elements together for those unique individuals that want benchmarking ponies as well as gaming prowess. :)

BTW, I am guessing at the name, from 16L13 - 15.6" => 16, 17.3" => 18, and not sure about the L13 part increasing, it might start at L1 for the new size.

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's hyperbolic BS :)

MSI and Asus both build great cooling, I've had both. It's a matter of QA and getting a few bad ones, but most are fine out of the box.

All need undervolting, which makes up for too high voltage setting out of the box in the BIOS, it's been the same for many years.

The paste on MSI and Asus lasts for years, but if redone by the owner it becomes a constant rework every 6 - 18 months depending on the OCD of the owner.

I've not had to re-paste any of my Asus or MSI laptops, and I OC both the CPU (and undervolt) and GPU. About a dozen laptops overall.

And, I've saved many hundreds from pulling apart their laptops by showing them how to undervolt, tune their CPU (when they are unlocked), tune the fan's, and tune the OS for best performance without overtemp and loud fan's.

After undervolting most are fine, and don't need re-pasting. Even so some are so entranced with reducing the temperature down to the last C that they spend months redoing their paste many times, only to need to do it again after it pumps out or dries out.

The rest of the owners are happily using their laptops for gaming, work, and school instead of wasting their time obsessing over those last few benchmark points and last C of temperature reduction.

Everyone has their favorite game, for some it's pulling apart their laptops on a daily basis :)

DRevan and 4004 like this.
  10. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    I'm just very obsessive. Right now I'm pissed off at Asus because I wanted to buy the GL702 but I feel like it's thermal design crippled it. I thought they may try to fix it with the GL703 but it looks like they went and made it thinner using the same design.

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.