IFA 2017 Asus's new gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DRevan, Aug 28, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Really? That's all at once great to hear, and too bad at the same time.

Asus didn't build many as it was their first water-cooled models, and they rarely push new tech like that without field testing it in small numbers first.

I would have thought people in the know would know that... I guess I was excited about it too, I hope Asus keeps up that water-cooled line and pushes the water cooling tech further down in their lineup.

People are always asking for laptop "docks" - they miss'em, I do too, and putting out a water-cooled dock is a good reason to bring them back along with the docking features everyone misses.

I haven't heard much about the GX line recently, have you?

2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

I really haven't. For as popular as they seemed I thought they'd stick around or be more prominent. The dock was a really cool idea, even if it made the case/transport a little awkward.

hmscott likes this.
  3. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like someone at Asus f*cked up. The mentioned details have been pulled from the US site and it only states again "Coming soon".

hmscott likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    If they are pulling it back, maybe ASUS has realized that launching it with Coffee Lake makes more sense that doing both a Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake release within months of each other.

If you launch with Kaby and then everyone else announces their top end laptops with Coffee, you look stupid.

I feel like MSI should've sat on the GT75 as well.

5. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    MSI tends to just release a new version of the same machine right away though, and that's pretty much what I expect to see with CL.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Chimera would be the laptop to put in Coffee Lake with potentially 50% more CPU thermal load from the 50% more cores / threads.

7. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any info on CL? Will it work cooler? If there will be 50% more thermal load, I would have gone with the KL version just to have a better thermal results with less noise. :)

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Clevo models should arrive soon with new owners with 8700k, but with new thermal solutions too, so hard to compare.

You can always tune the fans and power / OC to meet your current noise requirements, and have horsepower to spare for when you need it more than you need quiet operations :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  9. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    I doubt that will have gone without being compensated for, probably you'll see more extensive heatsinks and ventilation.

10. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's my hope with newer laptops coming out with coffee lake cpus. Since they will undoubtedly run hotter my hope is it will force the laptop manufacturers to beef up the cooling on their laptops. Here's to hoping