IFA 2017 Asus's new gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DRevan, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, it's not..

I will use @DRevan exact screen in his SIG as an example and a few others.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB240H-...00QS0AK6U/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 -- Scroll on down to response time there buddy. "Fast response time of 1ms GTG (Gray to Gray)"

Here is my home desktop 144hz monitor as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260333 --Under Specs Fast mode: 1ms gray-to-gray
    Normal mode: 3ms gray-to-gray

O look here is my old 144hz monitor with 1ms. What do you know, its measured as GTG.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00KO4518I

Here is the 165hz IPS Asus monitor. Again 4ms measured as Gray to Gray.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/specifications/

Would you like more examples? Gray to Gray measurements are the fastest and represent the best the monitor can do. What shade of gray they use isn't really published nor is it a standard. It's just become sort of the norm for measurements and it looks great on the box art. Again the 5ms on my 120hz, and the 3ms on the new MSI 120hz are GTG response times. There is no way in hell they could be anything but as that would mean the GTG response times would be lower and that just ain't gonna happen yet.

hmscott likes this.
  2. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some manufacturers still measure the response time with b2w.
    There is no iso standard to which one to use, its like an unwritten agreement to provide g2g time because that is harder to lower. However as I said some manufacturers still despite the above will public the b2w time as response time. For more known manufacturers this was usually common before 2010, but recent years all bigger monitor manufacturers provide g2g.

Just look up the response measurements of the current 120 hz AUO and Chi Mei TN panels on Notebookcheck. Both give the same result: the closest value to 5 ms for both is the b2w. So neither AUO nor Chi Mei followed the "code of honor" between screen manufacturers and both provided b2w results instead of g2g.
    Don't get me wrong, both are good and fast screens despite this, but still, if this new Asus screen will truly have 7ms g2g and even lower b2w then it will be better than both.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    hmscott and jrwingate6 like this.
  3. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't care what advertisements say. I'm telling you that B2B response times are ALWAYS lower than G2G.

Rather than looking at product pages, why don't you go read some reviews on Notebookcheck. You will see that B2B always has a lower response time than G2G.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    How many of these actually hit the advertised response times, under review?

5. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have never really been keen on asus gaming laptops but this thing looks like a monster. I really like the design and the specs...and that screen though lol. I have to say starting with the zephyrus i really like the design direction that asus is taking with their new laptops. Just very appealing to the eye. Lets hope they perform as well as they look.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Reminds me of older AW 17 and 18. @Papusan

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    My thoughts are that #7 basically ruins everything unless it can be purchased for under $1,000.

I think running way too hot and cutting corners on cooling is status quo for laptops now. None of the crappy outfits that build laptops seem to have a good grasp of the importance of this matter. I'd say it is the single most important factor and none of them give it the attention it truly deserves. I'm sure the incessant whining and moaning about size, weight and fan noise has made it more difficult as well. Consumer obsession with those things has reached the point of being totally ludicrous.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    design reminds me of my GT72

Lets see how the cooling system etc. is.

9. omega939

omega939 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I am going to shift to Asus it will be a desktop only. They're so good in making Desktop Pc's period. :)

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Gaming on the ASUS ROG Chimera Notebook - 17.3" GTX 1080 144hz | Trusted Reviews

Eclipse251 and Vistar Shook like this.