IFA 2017 Asus's new gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by DRevan, Aug 28, 2017.

1. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The "5 ms " Chi Mei CMN1747 TN panel (according to NBC measurements) has 11-20 ms response time during real time usage, while this new panel by ASUS (according to their claim) has 7 ms.
    Someone needs to get the "new" 3 ms Chi Mei panel to NBC so they could measure the response time for that.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree, not many modern AAA titles will push out the 144 fps however that which does will look awesome. Also due to the lower response time less stuttering will be noticable.
    Did you do your measurements with 1080p resolution? Don't forget that your 2k resolution can result in -15-20 fps depending on game compared to 1080p.

3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    FHD to QHD is a bigger hurdle compared to QHD to UHD.

Most competitive gamers don't even run the game on medium settings, so 144hz is attainable on most (if not all) modern games. Reduced visual clutter and graphical complexity helps a lot.

4. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like the newer N173HHE-G32 is actually measuring at 7ms. I want to say there is even a newer one after that.

Either way, 7ms will be insanely hard to get in a laptop IPS display. In other words, I'll believe it when I see it. Then again at over $4,000 I'd expect nothing less.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't forget, the older N173HHE-G32 is doing 7 ms with b2w, while it is doing 11-20 ms with g2g. Asus is claiming this screen has 7 ms with g2g.
    I am really interested to see some measurements with the newer 3 ms panel MSI is using for their US laptops.

hmscott likes this.
  6. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    Yea, I am really interested to see this 7ms IPS display. My buddy has a Titan and I see no ghosting on it whatsoever. Another friend of mine has a G752 and I can sometimes see ghosting on that. Especially in BF1. I don't know what the response time of the 752 is but I can definitely see a difference in regards to response time.

hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That Asus laptop is using an 120hz AUO B173HAN01.1 IPS panel.
    According to NBC measurements that panel has:
    g2g: 38 ms
    b2w: 20 ms

Compared to this the Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 has:
    g2g: 20 ms
    b2w: 7 ms

This new ASUS display has:
    g2g: 7 ms
    b2w: ? ms

After trying out both the Chi Mei and AUO, I can confirm that the 120 hz AUO IPS panel used in the older ASUS laptops have the same ghosting that the 60 hz LG Philips LP173WF4-SPxx IPS panels have.
    The 120 hz TN Chi Mei panel also has some minor ghosting, but it is very minimal and totally acceptable in my opinion.

This new ASUS display is going to be either a game changer and innovation for gaming laptops OR maybe it is going to be a big fail and will not be as we imagined it.

We shall have to wait and see.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    I have to admit, I'm extremely skeptical that this screen will be close to 7ms in a g-2-g test.

I really hope it meets the claim though, because low response time IPS is something we need badly, in the laptop scene. It's been a long time coming, and goes to show how freaking far behind desktop monitor tech we are.

This screen will be a great companion for Volta, more so than Pascal, just because of how hard it is for even a GTX 1080 to push 144Hz.

hmscott likes this.
  9. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    I believe manufactures usually use the black to white numbers for response time. There is no way G2G is 7ms. Hell, if they can get G2G less than 20, I'd call it a success.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Devran said Asus is claiming G2G, which is what caught my attention.

That's in the ballpark of the 144Hz Acer XB270HU, with Overdrive active.

hmscott likes this.