If your MSI notebook has micro-stutters or mouse-pointer-freezes, try this.

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Prototime, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Do you experience micro-stuttering/mouse-pointer-freezing on your MSI laptop?

1. Yes, it happens frequently, even while gaming.

21.6%
  2. Yes, it happens frequently, but never while gaming.

19.6%
  3. Yes, it happens occasionally, even while gaming.

7.8%
  4. Yes, it happens occasionally, but never while gaming.

21.6%
  5. Yes, it happens rarely or only under certain circumstances, such as when a certain program runs, etc

9.8%
  6. Not at all.

19.6%
  1. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    DPC latency is a cumulative beast. There's some magical number where, once it's crossed, everything goes insane. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are both high latency devices by nature as they must take data from outside of the machine and, using a radio chip, synchronize it with what's going on with the machine. That's why it's common for the problem to become evident when you start using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, even though Bluetooth and Wi-Fi may not necessarily be the problem. The latency from everything else on the machine should be low enough that you can use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi without issue. What you are probably seeing is high latency from something else - it's just not becoming evident until you put the overall latency over the top by using Bluetooth.

Have you tried using something like latencymon to see which drivers are showing high DPC latency? ndis.sys should have the highest latency if you're using Wi-Fi. If anything else is higher, that's the problem. Common culprits include Nvidia drivers, Intel graphics drivers, and Intel switching drivers, just to name a few.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

2. tntsniper

tntsniper Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here's what I'm seeing, I'm not quite sure how to read this. Is the highest execution time what I should be looking at? Can you make any sense out of this? Thank you tremendously for the help!

[​IMG]

3. Killer_Networking

Reputations:
    First, make sure you run it for at least about 30 minutes, and while you are experiencing the problem. Then you're looking for anything way, way out of whack in the Highest Execution Time. Most people sort by Highest Execution and start there. It looks like NDIS.SYS is your highest execution, and it should be, if you're using Wi-Fi. However, as long as the highest execution is NDIS.SYS and no higher than around 2 ms max, it's not the problem. Generally speaking, you'll notice the problem when it's something significantly higher than NDIS.SYS.

If you look at the Description column, it tells you what each thing corresponds to. DirectX Graphics Kernel? That's your video card driver doing that. Microsoft Storage Port Driver? That's your disk drive. TCP/IP driver is networking as well, and when everything is working normally, it should slide right under NDIS.SYS.

Also, do keep in mind that this is a fight that everyone has been fighting since Windows 10 came out. Windows 10 on laptops is just really, really bad with DPC latency, and even when everything is working well, it's like you're teetering right on the edge.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Prototime likes this.
  4. tntsniper

tntsniper Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oddly enough, when I connect a Xbox One controller via bluetooth, it works flawlessly. Am I right in assuming this only affects mouses that connect via Bluetooth?

5. Killer_Networking

Reputations:
    Not that I was aware of. That's interesting. I will definitely pass that information to QA to see if it means anything to them, though! I wonder if maybe the driver for the controller produces less latency itself.

6. Killer_Networking

Reputations:
    Have you tried any Bluetooth mouse other than the Logitech MX Master?