If your MSI notebook has micro-stutters or mouse-pointer-freezes, try this.

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Prototime, Dec 2, 2016.

?

Do you experience micro-stuttering/mouse-pointer-freezing on your MSI laptop?

1. Yes, it happens frequently, even while gaming.

20.0%
  2. Yes, it happens frequently, but never while gaming.

17.8%
  3. Yes, it happens occasionally, even while gaming.

8.9%
  4. Yes, it happens occasionally, but never while gaming.

24.4%
  5. Yes, it happens rarely or only under certain circumstances, such as when a certain program runs, etc

8.9%
  6. Not at all.

20.0%
  1. barellrooool

barellrooool Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I have some micro stutter/freeze problems on my GS63VR 7RF. During idle or non intensive tasks such as watching a YouTube video, the mouse pointer would freeze for a micro second and then jumps to wherever I was pointing. Same can be said during video playback. It would stop for a micro second and then jump without audio interruption. Also, the indicator on the top would stay orange and not revert to red.

I guess my problem might be due to gpu switching between the intel and nvidia gpu.

I found temporary fixes such as running TrayPwrD3, leaving GeForce Experience minimized and disabling the GTX1060 but I'm looking at more permanent solutions.

Resetting the PC to a fresh start fixes it but while exiting a game, my system froze and I had to do a hard shutdown and that's where the stutters/freezes came back. I tried removing all display drivers using DDU in safe mode, reinstalling it back in, removing Dragon Center, reinstalling it, reflashing BIOS and reflashing the EC firmware all that for nothing.

The only fix I found if you have my problem is to just reset windows and hope it doesn't crash during gameplay.

If anyone has a fix better than mine, please, please, please do respond to me.

2. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My fix pretty much keeps the dGPU always on, and I get no stutters during my entire session. Open Nvidia control panel and keep the "Adjust image settings with preview" window opened. This will force the dGPU to stay awake and it'll never switch back to the iGPU. I've confirmed several times the mouse freezes and the battery icon freezes are due to a quick GPU switch back and forth.

hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. barellrooool

barellrooool Newbie

Reputations:
    The problem is that it does drain the battery a bit faster like I get around 30 minutes less battery life with the dPU always on and temperatures are a tiny bit higher than if the dGPU was completely off during idle.

I guess this is a problem that can't be fixed by ourselves.

4. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Indeed it affects battery life. The only permanent solution is for Microsoft and Nvidia to figure out how to resolve this Optimus bug.

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. pr5owner

pr5owner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Havent been to this site in a very long time but i wanted to post my exp.

i have a gs43vr and out of the box i upgraded the ssd's to a 512GB samsung 950 pro m2 ssd and added a 500gb samsung 850 evo (possibly irrelevant but the sandisk ssd sucks really bad and you should just throw that away)

i had the annoying AF stuttering issue with the mouse freezing for about 500-800ms every so often, i tried every software fix listed on this thread and some other sites and none of them worked and one day i got fed up enough i went out of my way to find an intel 8265 wireless card, swapped it out (i had to take the entire heat pipe assembly out but it wasnt too hard to do, just dont loose track of screw placements)

ive been using the LT for a week now with a Logitech MX anywhere 2 mouse and i have not had the stuttering issue again, i also do not have random disconnects like i did with that piece of sh*t killer wireless card.

to save yourself some trouble i would get a new wireless card right away even if only to improve Bluetooth stability as the stuttering can be caused by other things. I think the 8265 wireless is actually out of date since intel already has 2 different 9xxx series cards out.

Needless to say i will not be using killer network anything anymore. Rest of the MSi laptop is awesome though, Good luck, and Happy New Year!

EDIT: ive installed the killer wireless card into this dell i have laying around, strangely enough it doesnt stutter with the dell setup (i5 7300u, 8gb ram, some toshitba pos ssd), it must be a combination of the card and some other hardware in the msi causing it to have high interrupts, maybe its the killer lan nic? who knows.

my custom desktop has an msi board in it with a killer lan nic but an atheros wifi card and it does not have a stuttering issue.

should mention after installing any new hardware i always run something called "DeviceCleanup" it removes the "ghosted" hardware from device manager, im sure it doesnt hurt to have it listed there but i like to have everything "Clean"

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    hmscott and Prototime like this.
  6. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hello pr5owner,

I'm sorry that you experienced such issues with your Killer Wireless adapter. Most of the time, these issues comes down to power issues or radio conflicts, and can be resolved either by updating your machine's Bluetooth drivers, BIOS, or chipset drivers, or making changes to your 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi settings on your router to give more room to resolve conflicts with Bluetooth devices. I'm sorry that we didn't get the chance to troubleshoot with you before you swapped to a different adapter. If you have any issues with any other Killer device, such as your Ethernet adapter, please feel free to reach out to us directly at killersupport@rivetnetworks.com.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

Edit: Also, after discussing this with our QA head, especially the part where you put the adapter in another machine and did not have the same issue, he suggested that you contact MSI and alert them to the issue, as well. The problem may be that the mainboard is not associating resources properly when that module is plugged into it. They may have already addressed this with a BIOS or chipset driver update, but if they haven't, I'm sure they'd like to know.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Phoenix likes this.
  7. Julianinho

Julianinho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have buy the new ge73 raider and today i have test it and i have the same problem like this post.
    I have mouse pointer freeze when the card graphic switch to intel /nvidia.

My ge73 use a wlan killer and i have test to remplace it by the card intel (that i have keep on my ge72), but i have the same problem, so for me this problem of freeze is not make by the wlan card.
    I have updated all my driver, the bios and firmware.
    I have reinstall my driver intel graphic, nvidia, wlan, ethernet killer.

I have test to put in performance graphic Nvidia on panel nvidia and it solved the problem but is not an issue for me because the fan is always turn, for make word or internet is not good :(

I have install Latency and i post the image, if you see what can take freeze for me and if you have a solution ?
    And if is not possible, I hope a futur update can resolved this.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Killer_Networking likes this.
  8. Julianinho

Julianinho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone know if there is a fix to this problem ?

9. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's no one solution. You can try the many suggestions listed in this thread but unfortunately nothing is guaranteed to work for everyone

10. Julianinho

Julianinho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have try the suggestions, i have update the bios, change the wlan card but nothing work.