If you had an Alienware what did you replace it with.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Luke Taylor, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke Taylor

Luke Taylor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As title says if you have had a Alienware laptop and have returned it, what did you replace it with?

I ask as I have a 15R2 and i'm suffering from light bleed and i've had an engineer out to improve the situation. He has improved the situation but at a cost of £2,400 light bleed seems unacceptable, Now i'm a little ocd by nature and i'm wondering what to do, i am still within the 14 day period and normally I would send something like this straight back because of it.

HOWEVER

I am using this laptop for blogging and gaming, so I need the power of the i7, 32gb Ram and a 980m, but I also require the 7 hours battery life that is provided, otherwise it's not a very mobile device for blogging and a bit weak for gaming.

I've looked at Gigabyte/Aorus but both suggest awful battery life, so if you have replaced your Alienware with something else what did you get?

I'm open to options but i would really like something fairly mobile in weight and size, with real world 6-7 hours battery life and the performance of a gaming laptop, all answers and ideas appreciated.

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Honestly Alienware doesn't have very many benefits anymore. The parts are soldered, it lacks GSync and is bulky. However, the one spot where its still king is it has some killer battery life. The only other options I can think of with solid battery life don't have 980ms but 970ms. The new Gigabyte Aero is supposed to have great battery life for example. You can't really say its "weak" for gaming with a 980m. But if you aren't satisfied with it waiting a couple months could yield a more perfect machine for you. The new 10 series cards are rumored to be monsters, and that could let something like a Gigabyte Aero provide the power your looking for for gaming while keeping the battery life and portability. The performance king laptops are the Clevos but they have never really had battery life better than 4-5 hours.

3. Luke Taylor

Reputations:
    Thank you for giving your opinion, so at the current market there isn't really another option is there?

I'll look at the Gigabyte Aero you mentioned.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    For gaming tons. But nothing really comes to mind that directly matches the battery life.

5. Luke Taylor

Reputations:
    This is the issue really. I can replace it but for what ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Almost all the Alienware guys from the M17x and M18x boards have moved on to Clevo models, such as P870DM, P770DM, P770ZM, etc...desktop chips with MXM GPUs. You could say the cycle has gone full circle. Alienware was crafted from Clevo, became their own big line, dominated the mobile space for years, then bit the BGA bullet, effectively committing hardware suicide. Next Business Day Support that Alienware used to pride itself on is also gone. Now the Alienware players have returned to the Clevo units.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  7. Luke Taylor

Reputations:
    So really there isn't an option if you value battery life when your not gaming then?

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    blade 14, but you will shell out a lot of money for it

9. Luke Taylor

Reputations:
    Unavailable in the UK I would love one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

10. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lol, the blade 14 is a toaster. But yeah, a lot of people are going Clevo/Sager these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.