If You Can Solve This U R KING

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Unhappy User, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unhappy User

Unhappy User Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MSI GT62VR, GTX1070, i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM laptop, Win10 Pro

All fellow members, you are my last and only hope.

How do you guys explain it when the CPU and GPU clockspeeds reach their expected turbo max under load with no throttling, and temps are low, yet you get 30%-40% fps lower than you used to in all games? Before you think of Gsync, Vsync, drivers, power plans, etc...please continue reading. There seems to be a drop in performance and an artificial cap on framerates in my games now; a cap that was never there. BF3 does not go above 100fps on max settings now dipping to 70, used to be a steady 150fps. Same for other games but at different caps. Benchmarks & stress tests run fine with no crashing but they give low-end results relative to all reviews I found of this laptop. Benchmark scores and in-game video with statistics are posted below.

Things I tried to no avail:
    1. Clean Install of windows 10 did not change anything
    2. Trying various Nvidia drivers with DDU did not change anything
    3. Flashing the BIOS with latest build from MSI website did not change anything
    4. GPU/CPU Temps are at 30C-35C when booting the game (very cold in here), and I activate Cooler Boost to keep them under 85C but I still dont reach the original max and steady framerates like I used to
    5. Gsync and Vsync are globally off, in each program settings, and in all game settings
    6. Power plan is set to high Performance in windows cp and nvidia cp
    7. Game mode and Game DVR disabled in Windows Settings (no longer customizable after fall update)

Peculiar Observations:
    The on-screen display occasionally shows the "Power Limit" flag while gaming. I assumed this is common in gaming laptops or is it not?

Figures and Benchmark Scores:
    Below is a video recording of in game statistics plus links to 3DMark Scores. GPU load in all games is 50%-75% while clock reaches 1900Mhz, avg 1700Mhz.

If anyone knows how to reset the motherboard circuitry without opening the case please let me know. What chipset drivers are you guys using?

Ryse Son of Rome: Notice the fps cap limit @64fps. When I move around it dips to 30fps even 10fps minimum. In BF3 it dropped from steady 150fps to a max of 100fps, dipping to 70fps.

>>>Firestrike Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23367665

>>>3DMark 11 Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12497875

>>>3DMark Vantage Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5656634

>>>Sky Diver Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23370370

>>>Cloud Gate Score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23368616

Cinebench R15 Scores:

[​IMG]

GPU-Z Readings with the Built-In Render Test Activated:
    [​IMG]
    Question Marks For Further Investigation:
    Could it be a malfunction in the power adapter? The circuitry in the motherboard? The Intel chipset driver version 10.1.1.42? Can I reset the circuitry without opening the case? I am planning to try a new power adapter yet it costs more than $200 so i got a multimeter to measure mine for any discrepancies. How would you further investigate this?

Thank you so much for your patience and contribution.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Vasudev, Dennismungai and hmscott like this.
  2. rancid

rancid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 1080 will do this as well (utilization wise) if it does not tax the GPU. A good test for this is Witcher 3 on Ultra settings, if you disable hair works it will run about 60% utilization in 1080p. If you use dynamic scaling to 4k and back to 1080p, it will utilize 99% or turning on hairworks will also bump up the GPU usage. Can you try another game to verify you can get closer to 90+% GPU utilization or try dynamic scaling in Nvidia control panel and render it at 4k natively and scale it back down to 1080p.

As far as the frames itself, when you play a game does your battery % go down at all when you are playing?

Vasudev likes this.
  3. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    As you mentioned, hitting the power limit is your obvious problem. This maybe causing you GPU to throttle and throwing off your frame rates. Try to search online on the power rating of the GPU in your specific machine. Nonetheless, @woodzstack tried 1070s down to 90W and they were performing ok.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I see you disabled vsync. If your system has G-stink, try disabling that globally also if you haven't already done so. If your system does not have G-stink, use NVIDIA Profile Inspector and disable everything you find for G-sync on the global profile and apply the setting. Reboot and see if your framerate returns to normal.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  5. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    UPDATED: - Added 3DMark 11 and 3Dmark Vantage results in main post.

Thanks Rancid, no, there is no noticeable battery drain after running games. Battery has always been stuck at 96% when fully charged ever since I owned it.

Thanks Mahmoud, Power limit is still under investigation with the kind help of the members on this forum. No hard evidence on that as of yet except the occasional "Power Limit" flag on the on-screen display while gaming, as you can see in the posted youtube video above.

Thank Mr. Fox, Gsync has always been globally disabled in nvidia cp, sorry, I will update it in the main post.

Mr. Fox and MahmoudDewy like this.
  6. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    Hey unhappy, what changed then ?

You wish us to eliminated possibilities, but what is different now other then the scores and FPS/performance of the videocard ?

Otherwise seems power issue. Too many USB's plugged in, the backlight turned up, the fans turned up, the power mode turned to full performance instead of balanced etc... trying to get full performance, might literally be whats degrading your performance.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you backed up your recovery partition onto a USB 3.0 32GB flash drive or DVD's created by MSI BurnRecovery, try using it to restore to the out of the box configuration. It makes a good sanity check in situations like this, where you can't quite find what's missing.

Often there are little gotcha's in the installation order and pieces that are missed by us the first time we do a "clean install", Intel chipset drivers, or other items MS update installs as generic drivers instead of the OEM optimized driver.

So it's a good idea to keep around the original MSI OS image on a recovery flash drive / DVD for later sanity check installs for situations like this. MSI usually requires you to do this before debugging hardware problems for RMA.

Then you can do a quick forensic dive on the versions and packages installed in the OEM OS image to see what you are missing, so your next clean install goes smoother.

MSI may send you a backup / flash drive for the recovery OS depending on the support region. Register the laptop and open a ticket with MSI to ask (nicely). Or you can RMA it back to MSI for MSI to reinstall the OS and recovery partition. If you are lucky there is an MSI service center within driving distance.

Or you can find a local dealer with one in stock and purchase the USB 3.0 32 GB flash drive from them and use MSI BurnRecovery on that unit to restore onto yours.

Or, keep looking for what you are missing.

When you do get a working configuration again, be sure and backup an image of the OS drive with Macrium Reflect Free, and create a bootable restore USB 3.0 4GB (or large enough to hold the restore image) recovery drive.

Then as you get further into installation of apps, tools, games, etc, continue making backup images with Macrium Reflect Free every so often so you can restore to a known good state should things go bad with an install or Windows Update in the future. :)

Unhappy User likes this.
  8. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    Thanks woodzstack, nothing is attached to the laptop other than a mouse, LED lights are off, fans are silent on Auto, and I would still get low framerates and an upper limit of around 64fps. It was working great on high performance plan for 7 months at full Framerates as it should. Nothing changed in power consumption as far as I can tell.

Could it be the adapter no longer providing enough power to the laptop? I got a multimeter to test the power adapter but still trying to figure out how to use it. But still the Power Limit flag only shows occasionally for a split second during gaming, whereas the poor performance is consistent from start to end of gaming, as you can see in the youtube video above. That 64fps upper limit should not be there in the beginning of the video, it should be around 100Fps.

Could it be a CPU bottleneck? If yes why am I the only one? Why now when everything was fine few weeks back?

I appreciate it if an owner of an MSI GT62VR with GTX1070 can let us know if the "Power Limit" flag shows up on their OSD while gaming for 5 minutes straight, even if it shows up briefly. This would help me A LOT in narrowing down the causes of my problem. Notice in my video above, as soon as I moved the mouse in game the Power limit flag showed up for a split second, then a couple times more. Even with no Power Limit flag, FPS still seems limited to 64fps. Used to be up to 100fps.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think @hmscott is on the right track here with the OS being buggered up.

Use the free version of Macrium Reflect to image your OS drive as it is now.

Clean install Windows to unallocated disk space (clean it with diskpart before installing) and see if the problem is gone. If it it, reinstall the rest of your software and delete the image. If it acts exactly the same, restore your OS image and don't burn any calories reinstalling software.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Unhappy User

Reputations:
    My bad gents, I should have made it clearer in the original post that I just came out of a tightly clean windows install using phoenix win10 guide, while internet disconnected all the way and only few essentials installed. No bloatware installed. I installed the drivers from MSI product page and blocked all windows driver updates using gpedit and o&o shutup and system settings/hardware. No drivers were ever installed by windows afterwards and i am operating solely on the stock drivers from MSI product page.
    I believe I got the software side covered unless you have something to add/investigate.

I believe it is shaping up as a hardware issue. I suspect 3 things:

1. Sudden CPU Bottleneck (plz review my cinebench scrnshot in original post. multicore score is low while single core is fine. mind u all my scores are lower than average) (also plz review the cpu usage in my short video, cores are not fully used so more confusion)

2. Faulty GPU

3. Faulty power supply or motherboard circuitry

Happy to hear your thoughts on the way forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.