If it wasnt for the screens I'd have bought one by now

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Theynine, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Theynine

Theynine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Whats on the wishlist?

We want to stay under $3k and we don't want to require two powerbricks to run it. ( ie: Area51M)

17" screen 1080 w/120/144 hz with g-sync.
    16 or 32 dual channel ram.
    8750H cpu
    Regular RTX2070 or a max Q version of the rtx2080, or if push comes to shove GTX1080.
    512 Samsung pro SSD with a 2tb FIRECUDA hybrid drive for storage.
    Thunderbolt 3 port

Ive ruled out the big alienware and the larger MSI due to the two powerbrick issue.

I would go with the smaller MAX Q 17" RTX alienware, but they all have 60hz panels.

The 17" ASUS strix would do, but no G-SYNC.

Same with the MSI GE75 Raider, no G-sync.

The MSI GT75 8SF Titan is looking like the closest thing with all the ingredients. Though when adding on such stuff as pixel warrantees, better thermal pasting, etc its pushing me over budget. But I like pixel warrantees, Ive been stuck with bad panels before. Its a big investment, I want it done right.

I bought my last laptop ten years ago, paid $2300 on it back then, its still running ok, but sooner or later its gonna strand me.

I'm trying to future proof myself for awhile. Like I said, if the Alienware or the ASUS had the right screens I would have bought something already. Is G-sync overrated? Whys Alienware using 60hz screens anyway?

Whats your opinion? No Clevo's, Ive had bad experiences, so OriginPC is out.

2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have a look at the Clevo P775TM from HIDEvolution. It can take either a 144Hz 1080p display or a 120Hz 1440p display. You can get an RTX 2060, 2070 or 2080 and it will only require one power brick unless you get the 9900K and 2080 combo (but even if you did there is an optional 780W adapter). It will meet all of your other requirements such as Thunderbolt 3, 16/32GB RAM etc and for under $3000. The CPU options are also superior to the 8750H as you can get a 9600K, 9700K or 9900K - given your requirements the 9700K would probably be the best value.

Giancarlis likes this.
  3. Theynine

Theynine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply Arrrbol. I know what Clevo has to offer. The first Clevo I owned went back and forth cross country to the repair facility seven times in the first months that I owned it. On the seventh trip they said they couldn’t get a part, and bought me out of my extended warranty. I then bought an HP which lasted about 4 years before the screen hinges failed. The second Clevo I owned was my current Sager rendition. In the years Ive owned it Ive replaced a fan and the screen. Not bad for a nine year old machine. The worst problem has been the battery. It failed after the second year, and since I am usually plugged in, it didnt matter much. But I finally spent the $180 bucks and bought a new battery, which lasted four months before it failed. It began bulging from the bottom of the laptop and I removed it. At this time I discovered the battery was no longer available. ( and yes I even checked on EBay). Since then I have duct tape covering the battery hole. Soooo, though you can get some serious bang for your buck with a Clevo, I’m giving somebody else a try.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe you are referring to the Alienware M17, I am also eyeing that beast as well but the current screen options are not very appealing. I am certain DELL/Alienware would release a 144Hz/120Hz panel for it sooner or later, however I am not sure if it would have G-Sync. There is also the new DELL G7 17Inch, which for me is a pseudo-alienware, and it does have a 144HZ screen option although I am unsure if its screen has G-Sync.

5. Theynine

Theynine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes Tristan, the M17's lack of higher refresh screens has ruled them out for me. And though the AREA51m was initially my number one choice, I ruled it out due to the two powerbrick requirement. And they are friggin' big bricks on top of it.

Its looking like a duel between the 17' ASUS strix or the MSI Titan with an RTX 2070. The RTX2080 brings the prices too high, and heat throttling seems to be an issue with some machines. An RTX2080 MAX Q might do, but im not seeing anything that fits my required specs.

The thing that bothers me about the MSI Titan is the mechanical keyboard. They say mechanical keyboards rock, but the clackity clack noise of the things are an issue. My wife sits on the sofa next to me while I use the laptop, and she complains about the noise I make from a regular keyboard, I type fast!! I've read about the rubber donuts you can stick under the keys and try to buffer the sound. But I would like to hear more input on the subject.

JRE84 and Flying Endeavor like this.