IF i used these notebooks for gaming...

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by lurpak, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabin17

Sabin17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just went to HP's shopping site and drummed up a few specs for a zd8000 model. For exactly $3500, here is the configuration I made:

Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2
    P4 540 Processor w/ HT (2.8Ghz)
    17" Widescreen Display
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM (533Mhz)
    80Gb 5400rpm Drive
    ati mobility radeon x600 128mb

Of course, the notebook itself is a monster and your aren't really interested with it. It would weigh around 10lb. plus another 2lb. for the adapter it comes with. Good deal though, plus it has a 17" monitor. Read reviews of it if you decide to change your mind.

2. Ramadoss29

Ramadoss29 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you comparing a 64 mb MR9600 with an x300? Because most individuals that game are using a 128 MB Mr9600. And benchmark tests with my card show better scores / fps than an x300.

3. Dustin Sklavos

Dustin Sklavos Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    People keep screaming about how miserable gaming is on certain systems.

Look, I have a Gateway 7422GX with a 64MB Mobility Radeon 9600 and I'm continually impressed by its gaming prowess; I wasn't really expecting it to be anything but "bare minimum."

I was expecting a fight just getting Doom 3 to run playably, especially with how much Doom 3 hates ATI hardware.

At stock I can get Doom 3 to run very playably at medium detail at 640x480. Overclocked to 420/230, I get it to 800x600. Only stuff that isn't turned on is Anti-Aliasing and Vsync.

Likewise, Unreal Tournament 2004 runs at native resolution (1280x800) at stock speeds and can even score 8x AF with all the details turned all the way up. Not too shabby.

Don't believe the hype. A dedicated GPU with at least 64MB of RAM is puh-lenty.

4. KyleD

KyleD Newbie

Reputations:
    What did you use to overclock your v-card? Have you ever had any issues with your HDD while gaming? The reason I ask is because I play Call of Duty United Offensive and the graphics are clear and I can play it on high settings, but my HDD light flashes every 10-15 seconds and makes the game do a real quick blink lag. Do you have any suggestions?

5. Dustin Sklavos

Dustin Sklavos Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I use RadLinker to overclock, but lately I've found that I don't really have to.

I personally haven't really had any HD issues (the 1GB of RAM sure does help ;) ) with gaming, but the system is a little sluggish sometimes (and God help you if you run something RAM-hungry and then try to switch to something else and watch the swap file choke and die). The best suggestion for upgrading this system would just be getting a faster HD.

Other than that, it's amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.