If I get Windows Vista Ultimate, how do I know if my hard drive will support BitLocker?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Homer_Jay_Thompson, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T4House

T4House Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Being TPM 1.2-compatible is not the only hardware requirement needed. BitLocker needs to store its key on a flash drive so you will also need a BIOS that is compatible with TPM AND supports USB devices during startup. This means that if Dell is shipping the notebook with Business Vista then BIOS would need to be updated to work with BitLocker. And getting support from any company for something added after the fact can be a real challenge. But if it is being shipped with Ultimate as its OS you should be fine. It never hurts to ask up front though.

2. Zellio

Zellio The Dark Knight

Reputations:
    More fud.

Bitlocker requires EITHER tpm or a usb key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitlocker

The final mode does not require a TPM chip:

* USB Key: The user must insert a USB device that contains a startup key into the computer to be able to boot the protected OS. Note that this mode requires that the BIOS on the protected machine supports the reading of USB devices in the pre-OS environment.

3. T4House

T4House Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I stand corrected, thanks kid for pointing me in the right direction. Just wanted to point out the BIOS requirement that I ran into. Obviously I shouldn't of stated it the way I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.