1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

If I buy a used laptop, can I change "registered to..."?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by vaw, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vaw

vaw Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When you buy used laptop, will the registration name remain permanently the one made by the original owner? I mean when you go to system properties, general, you see system information and the words "Registered to: XXXX". Also in user profile you have the paths \Administrator and \XXXX, where XXXX is the name registered to. Can you change that?

2. kegobeer

kegobeer 1 hr late but moving fast

Reputations:
    IMHO, when you buy a used laptop, you should wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system, or use the restore partition to restore the computer to the original shipping configuration.

3. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    check the ever growing list thread pinned at the top of the forum...winbubble can change the "Registered to" info.

Now, as for the other one--you could not in Windows XP--never tried in Vista...have to think about that.

In XP, the problem is/was the way Windows identifies a profile has nothing to do with the folder, but a long alphanumeric code in the registry tied to that folder.

In Vista, you have links rather than hard coded folders for profiles so it actually might work, but after some nasty user profile experiements I conducted last week I'm not ready to do a reinstall again!

You are much better off creating a new user profile with the desired name and then deleting the old one.

4. makaveli72

makaveli72 Eat.My.Shorts

Reputations:
    As Kego was saying...and to add to that. When you do reinstall the OS you will have the chance to choose the registered name and other user info. ;)

5. Shyster1

Shyster1 Lazy as the Day is Long

Reputations:
    In addition to all the other nice things that come with a clean install, another reason to do this is: unless you know the seller well enough to trust him/her (if it's a private or small-time retail used sale), you never know what sort of nasties s/he might have left on there for you.

6. goofball

goofball Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    username and the name it is registered to can be completely different.

To change the registered name in XP, you can go into the registry and edit the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Change the String value of "RegisteredOwner"

You can also create a new user account, and delete the old one (go to control panel -> system -> advanced -> user profiles, and delete it from there.

However, I am with the others in recommending a completely fresh installation of the OS.

7. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    THe only problem is the laptop may have been sold with programs that the enduser wants.

8. Shyster1

Reputations:
    Hope s/he got the discs along with the hardware, then!:D

9. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    You clearly have never bought a used laptop ;)

10. Shyster1

Reputations:
    When I do, I buy based on hardware, not software (other than OS).