1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

If I buy a used laptop, can I change "registered to..."?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by vaw, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vaw

vaw Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When you buy used laptop, will the registration name remain permanently the one made by the original owner? I mean when you go to system properties, general, you see system information and the words "Registered to: XXXX". Also in user profile you have the paths \Administrator and \XXXX, where XXXX is the name registered to. Can you change that?

2. kegobeer

kegobeer 1 hr late but moving fast

Reputations:
    IMHO, when you buy a used laptop, you should wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system, or use the restore partition to restore the computer to the original shipping configuration.

3. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    check the ever growing list thread pinned at the top of the forum...winbubble can change the "Registered to" info.

Now, as for the other one--you could not in Windows XP--never tried in Vista...have to think about that.

In XP, the problem is/was the way Windows identifies a profile has nothing to do with the folder, but a long alphanumeric code in the registry tied to that folder.

In Vista, you have links rather than hard coded folders for profiles so it actually might work, but after some nasty user profile experiements I conducted last week I'm not ready to do a reinstall again!

You are much better off creating a new user profile with the desired name and then deleting the old one.

4. makaveli72

makaveli72 Eat.My.Shorts

Reputations:
    As Kego was saying...and to add to that. When you do reinstall the OS you will have the chance to choose the registered name and other user info. ;)

5. Shyster1

Shyster1 Lazy as the Day is Long

Reputations:
    In addition to all the other nice things that come with a clean install, another reason to do this is: unless you know the seller well enough to trust him/her (if it's a private or small-time retail used sale), you never know what sort of nasties s/he might have left on there for you.

6. goofball

goofball Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    username and the name it is registered to can be completely different.

To change the registered name in XP, you can go into the registry and edit the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Change the String value of "RegisteredOwner"

You can also create a new user account, and delete the old one (go to control panel -> system -> advanced -> user profiles, and delete it from there.

However, I am with the others in recommending a completely fresh installation of the OS.

7. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    THe only problem is the laptop may have been sold with programs that the enduser wants.

8. Shyster1

Reputations:
    Hope s/he got the discs along with the hardware, then!:D

9. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    You clearly have never bought a used laptop ;)

10. Shyster1

Reputations:
    When I do, I buy based on hardware, not software (other than OS).

11. smittyjensen

smittyjensen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hi, i was wondering if doing that REGEDIT with the string can have any adverse effects on a computer?

As in, when i change it in the strings value, does it edit my C:/My Documents/{My Old Username} so files will start to not work because the directory has been changed?

Thanks for your help...

12. goofball

goofball Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As mentioned, the registered owner has nothing to do with the username on the machine. They can be as different as you want. Nothing happens to the user accounts on the machine.

13. vaw

vaw Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It doesn't work for me. In "user profiles", there are two users, the Administrator, and my registered name XXXX (which is also the administrator). Interestingly, only the Administrator can be deleted, the XXXX can't.

In the folders, the folder named XXXX (registered name) can't be renamed; it says something is system related.

14. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    Don't rename, create a new one. Then log into the new one, move the data over, then delete the old one.

BUT--you didn't delete the ADMINISTRATOR did you?

That would be bad.

15. goofball

goofball Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Considering you only have 2 users, you have to be logged into one of them, so I'm assuming that you are logged into account 2, which is not the "Administrator" account. You can't delete an account that is active, which is what it is since you're logged into it ;). Ever try deleting a file that you have opened?

Log into the Administrator account, then delete your XXXX account, though that's not how I do it. I first create a new account, test it, then move data out (if needed) out of the old account folders, then delete the old account.

16. Shyster1

Reputations:
    Hmm, if I may be so bold as to repeat:

1) Log into the account that is named "Administrator" - do not just log into an account that has admininstrative rights;

2) Once you're in, go to the control panel, fire up the Users applet, and once that comes up, create a brand-spanking, never before seen, new user account - you should have three (3) user accounts on the system after you finish this step;

3) Copy the data/files you want to keep from the folders in the old user account over to the folders in the new user account you created in step (2), above; and

4) When you're finished with step (3), log back into the account named "Administrator" go to control panel, fire up the Users applet, and delete (i.e., terminate with extreme prejudice:D) the old user account, so that, at the end of this step, you have only two (2) user accounts on the system, the account named "Administrator" and the account you created in step (2) above.

17. vaw

vaw Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The problem is, somehow I am unable to log in using "administrator", whether entering the password or not. At user accounts in control panel, it actually shows just one account available (the other is "guest" which has not been set up); this account has the name XXXX, and below that it says "administrator", so XXXX=administrator, rather than they being two separate accounts. I can only log in by entering XXXX as user name, not administrator.

The other annoying thing is, perhaps I mention before, I had renamed a previous name XX to the current XXXX--just renameing. That XX was the name under which the XP and the computer is registered to. But I don't know why when the Windows XP starts and the login screen displays (classic login), the default user name displayed is still XX; so I have to always delete XX, re-enter XXXX, then enter password to log in. How can I change the default display user to be XXXX?

Thanks for all your help and great patience with me on this!:D

18. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    that's because you said you deleted the administrator folder

Forget all that. You have created somewhat of a problem with all you've done so far.

Start as fresh as you can by going to control panel > Users

Create a new account and make it an administrator, it doesn't matter what you name it.

Log out and log back in as that new account to create the profile.

Now grab everything from the old account and put it into the new account.

USe only that account for a week

Then delete the old account that isn't working right anymore.

Move all the

19. vaw

vaw Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just created new account making it admin, haven't set password yet, but How to "grab everything from the old account and put it into the new account?" :confused:

Edit:
    I found the copy profile in system properties, however, when I click on "copy to", where should I copy it to? There is the "Browse" button, but I have no idea where to copy the profile to?

20. vaw

vaw Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just tried this and it worked! Thanks :D

(Question: why Windows NT?? Isn't it Windows XP?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.