1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ideapad Yoga?

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by quickrabbit5, Jan 23, 2012.

1. GzyOnline

GzyOnline Newbie

Reputations:
    Stay tuned to the Ideapad section of this forum.. I've uploaded and posted the proper setup/installation package for the Realtek Wireless Network Adapter driver update for the Lenovo Yoga 13. It's pending Admin approval.

2. Dessieman

Dessieman Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! was waiting for a good thread on this to come out. Was too lazy to dig through all the threads here and on the lenovo forums to figure this out any earlier :p

3. fkacct

fkacct Newbie

Reputations:
    But the standalone driver works fine. Why would someone need to install via the .exe file. These files usually contain unnecessary files....

4. GzyOnline

GzyOnline Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry! Turns out it was the stup_id 09/2012 version :(.. but my machine has the 12/2012 driver..!!?? I don't get it, I don't understand what wHackjobs are over @Lenovo headquarters running this circus..??!! Bring back IBM!!

5. fkacct

fkacct Newbie

Reputations:
    The hack jobs at Lenovo headquarters are probably at a Sauna in Shanghai getting a Massagi. Can't believe I paid $1100 for this POS. Nevertheless, the wireless has been noticeably more stable with the 12/2012 driver....but nothing like the Asus UX31A's wireless.

6. dan76

dan76 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    New I shoulda held out for the touch Zenbook.

7. imalegend

imalegend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    anyone know any coupons for the lenovo outlet, i am thinking of buying the refurb yoga on there but it comes to $800 with taxes was hoping i could bring it down

8. MibuWolf

MibuWolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's the price I've seen them go for. No coupons as of current. I bought the Yoga 13 when it was on sale for $450 at BB but it turned out to be a 'price mistake'.

9. Mikey94025

Mikey94025 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here's a later Yoga 13 wireless driver for the Realtek RTL8273A Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter, dated 1/18/2013, version 1021.6.118.2013 courtesy of diecast17 on the Lenovo community board:

After you download the ZIP file, install the new driver by:

1. Right-click on the ZIP file and select "Extract All...". Select a folder to place the expanded files.

2. In the folder, double-click on the .\Realtek-RTL8723A\Setup.exe file to launch the installer program. Press the Next button in all the installer dialogs.

3. After the installer completes, it will offer to restart your computer. Do so for best results.

4. After the new wireless driver installs, you will have to reconnect to and enter the access keys again for your wireless access points.

5. Charms... Settings... PC Info... Device Manager... Network Adapters... Right-click on Realtek device, select Properties and select the Power Management tab. Change the Power Management settings for the wireless driver -- Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

10. Dayton

Dayton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Yoga 11S looks really interesting. I've really missed my Yoga 13 since returning it but the same in a smaller footprint looks really good. Just hope the smaller profile doesn't impact the battery life too much.

11. dan76

Reputations:
    I'm curious to know if they've put a better wireless card in it. Did we figure that out yet?

12. Shellfishgene

Shellfishgene Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm trying to find that out, also. Was there only the problem with the Realtek card? And if yes, is that completely fixed with that new 2013 driver? There is so much forum info on this it's hard to get an overview! This is pretty much the only thing keeping me from buying, and I'm ordering in the states for a friend to bring it here, so I can't just send it back if it has the wireless issue...

13. dan76

Reputations:
    Maybe I can sum it up quickly for you... Many people have no problem at all with the Yoga wireless, but a large amount of people have had major problems, from slow speed to constant drops. For some, the new drivers fix it, for others, the problem persists. Best we can tell, it's a poor wireless card, but even more poor quality control on behalf of Lenovo. See the huge thread of problems on the official Lenovo forum yoga 13 wifi issues - Lenovo Community
    Problems are that it's a poor Realtek wireless card (not Intel, which means no WiDi), and it's a proprietary USB connector and not replaceable, also with short antenna cables under the palm rest only, not up to the screen.

Whew. I hope that helps you and others!

14. Shellfishgene

Shellfishgene Newbie

Reputations:
    Sure helps, thanks! Is the problem still there with current laptops? I was going to order, for example, via Amazon. Is there a chance that I'll ge a laptop with the "broken" wireless card, or was that only earlier batches and now they all have a different card in them? If that question can be answered at all, I guess it depends on how old the shop's stock is...

15. gonszo

gonszo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know where I can purchase a 256gb ssd for the yoga BESIDES crucial? It never seems to be in stock and is now not even listed. Any ideas? thanks in advance

16. willybug

willybug Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  17. aasoror

aasoror Newbie

Reputations:
  18. gonszo

gonszo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch aasoror and willybug.
    I didn't trust myself purchasing the part (not off crucial.com) without some advice to make sure its the right one.

19. Deorc

Deorc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    by any chance yoga with backlit keyboard in future?

20. joshuatownsend

joshuatownsend Newbie

Reputations:
    Follow the link to the right model and instructions for installing on my post here: How to Upgrade Memory and Storage on the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 - VMtoday. Other mSATA SSDs may work, but probably not as good performance or quality as the Crucial model I linked to. Good luck!