IdeaPad Y700-15ACZ Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Assembler, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarrizoLappy

CarrizoLappy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do you know Dual Channel mode is running?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10000/who-controls-user-experience-amd-carrizo-thoroughly-tested/6

2. Assembler

Assembler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. CarrizoLappy

CarrizoLappy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How about downloading GPU-Z and checking the memory bandwidth of GPU1? I can show you the bandwidth of single channel as I'm using a stock Y700. Dual Channel should have double the bandwidth of mine.

4. splashy

splashy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    EDIT 1: Actually, my version has 2 modules

EDIT 2: Tried MaxxMEM2 software and it seems like single channel with around 9GB/s copy bandwidth, which was the highest. Comparing to results from here, for example
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-7.html

Seems like AMD systems with DDR3 should do around twice with DDR3 1600MHZ (same as I have).

Could the bandwidth be limited by some other factor?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  5. Assembler

Reputations:
    I just did some benchmarks with MaxxMEM2 and got similar results, 8-9GB/s. If you compare that to the results on this techpowerup thread it should perform in dual channel mode.

For example there is one result (link) with AMD A6 APU running with dual channel DDR3 (1600MHz) that scored 8.51GB/s.

6. Laki021

Laki021 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any ideas how to connect this laptop 4k@60Hz to a monitor without HDMI 2.0 input (so we need somehow to provide DP input to monitor).

7. douglas2011

douglas2011 Newbie

Reputations:
    hello. I see you have had quite a bit experience with the Lenovo y700 acz amd fx 8800p model. That is the same model I have and am having trouble figuring things out. In reading you review of this model I noticed you said you installed an m.2 ssd and an additional 8gigs of ram. The m.2 ssd is where I'm running into trouble. I want to do the same with mine with installing m.2 ssd, however I have read on websites that even though the amd model is supposed to except an m.2 ssd that when putting it in it does not recognize it and was told it can only accept the sata ssd and not the m.2 ssd and that the amd model only has 2 express lanes and that's why it wont work. I then went to best buy to ask them if this was true and the guy at the geek squad desk got into my bios and deactivated something and said that it would accept the m.2 ssd now. he said the reason people were having trouble with the amd models was because the system wouldn't recognize anything the system thought was forgen to the factory installs. does this sound accurate to you? also. there is a difference between an m.2 ssd and a sata ssd correct? its my understanding that if I install an m.2 that I can keep the hdd that I have now and use the m.2 for the boot drive or anything else I would want. Is this true and is it as fast as a conventional ssd? Thanks for any help/insight you might provide as this is all very new to me and has had me going in circles for near 2 weeks now. thanks again. Doug.

8. Assembler

Reputations:
    In general, M.2 is just a form factor / port. There are different kind of SSDs that differ in length and the interface they use, i.e. NVM (PCIe) or the old SATA. An M.2 connector can provide lanes for both interfaces or just for one.

The connector on the Y700-15ACZ is SATA only, that means no PCIe lanes are connected to it (unlike the Intel version). Therefore you cant install an NVM M.2 SSD, that is the main problem when people report that their SSD is not recognized. Changing some setting in the BIOS wont do anything. Even if the connector would support PCIe, i highly doubt that the BIOS contains any working NVM drivers.

Another reason could be that you have to enable the AHCI mode in BIOS, but it should be as default. I didnt had to setup anything after inserting my Plextor SSD, it was just plug&play. So, if you want to add an SSD you have to buy a M.2 2280 SATA (B-M-Key) model. Check the link below:

http://geizhals.eu/?cat=hdssd&xf=4836_6~4832_6#xf_top

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  9. banff

banff Newbie

Reputations:
    Thx for your hard work assembler. i recently purchased the y700 15acz from Best Buy, but I'm on the fence about it even after performing all the tweaks in this thread (ssd replaced the slow drive, still need ram) I currently get about 20-40 fps in d3 with settings on high and other similar disappointing performance on older games (LoL, Eve). Am I wrong to expect more from what seems to be a well equipped machine?

I was gaming on a gtx460m i7 2360(?) a few years old which felt smoother than this machine does. Will our experience improve with drivers or vulkan support? im testing out different driver sets, but progress is slow. The latest 'hotfix' drivers installed but give me an error whenever I try to open Radeon settings. It's frustrating to have an apu that doesn't dual graphics with the dgpu. The laptop is for gaming, the AMD website lists the chip as having dual graphics, wtf... We will never use the igpu in this machine.

I've been thinking about exchanging this machine for a dell 7559 which has an i7 6300hq and 960m for $860 (a steal) I just wanted to support amd for once... How much more powerful is this dell 7559?

Also is it just me or do the glossy hd screens look so much better than these flat ips displays? My colors in d3 look dull. This screen is well reviewed but dam is it dull and flat. Anyhow some theory about fx8800p, some 2133 ram, and possible dx12 or OpenGL epiphany's to console me would be great

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Assembler likes this.
  10. Assembler

Reputations:
    I am not sure about those games but if you don't undervolt your CPU you will see throttling, even in multiplayer games like LoL. Did you check if it is using the integrated GPU instead of the M385X ? I had troubles to get the dGPU working with the non Lenovo graphics driver, but i have to admit that i didn't try the newer versions yet.

For the RAM: 2133MHz is not supported by the UEFI BIOS, it will automatically downclock every RAM to 1600MHz or even refuse to start with it. Theoretically the APU supports higher speed but i doubt Lenovo will enable that for us. Also note, that you need low voltage DDR3 (1.35V).

Dual graphics is actually nonsense, consider.... the CPU part does share its power budget with the integrated graphics, that means CPU power will be reduced in favour of the iGPU. The dedicated M385X is already limited by the CPU in most games, dual graphics would make it even worse. Another issue is heavy micro stuttering, because the M385X ist fast, but the integrated R7 rather slow. Dual graphics does only make sense if it is combining two GPUs that are on a similar performance level. DX12 and Vulkan will definetly give this machine a boost, but performance might be still lower than on any Intel quad core / 960m notebook.

I guess you have the Samsung display in your unit ? I cant complain about the LG display so far, it does produce more "warm" and neutral colours compared to the glossy IPS in my Ativ Book 7 (with very strong colours). It is like comparing an OLED display on a Samsung smartphone with a regular AH-IPS, it is up to you what kind you prefer.

About the Dell Inspiron 7559.. did you read the review on notebookcheck.net ? I don't know if you have any display options, but the UHD touchscreen has a very low contrast ratio. Performance wise it would be faster of course, on the other hand the Y700 is superior in build quality / materials, sound, battery... AND i had some bad experience with Dell (Alienware) before. Reduced CPU speeds because the original power adapter would not be recocnized by the system anymore, very cheap thermal compound which had to be replaced after one year of use, horrible support (at least here in asia).. i wouldn't buy a Dell again.

If you don't need a gaming capable notebook right now than return it an better wait until this summer, AMD and Nvidia will introduce new mobile GPUs together with notebooks that are equipped with them. I am sure there will be one or two interesting models that you can choose, save your money until then !

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.