IdeaPad Y700-15ACZ Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Assembler, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shahnewaz

Shahnewaz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Assembler, I was wondering if the Carrizo iGPU can handle a crowded CS:GO server. I'd appreciate it if you could do some testing for me.

Settings should be 1080p everything maxed but no AA and Vsync.

I would like you to spectate/play on filled and high activity servers like:
    [GFLClan] Zombie Escape: 64.74.97.72:27017
    [HG] Dust2 Deathmatch: 67.228.181.70:27015

Thanks a lot. :)

Tip: To connect directly with the address I provided, you need to enable Developer Console in game settings. Bring up the console with the ` (left of 1 in number row) key, and type (without quotes):
    "connect 64.74.97.72:27017"

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. CarrizoLappy

CarrizoLappy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Assembler,

Thanks for writing this review. I just ordered the same model i believe, this one.

Do you have any advice for me regarding it? I's like to get the best possible performance out of it without throttling, wherever possible.

Thanks

3. Assembler

Assembler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late reply @Shahnewaz, i am one of the few people that do not use steam (and probably never will). Or is there a non steam version out there ?

@Itmatt please read my next post

4. Assembler

Reputations:
    In december last year i went to a Lenovo Service station to do a checkup on my machine and demonstrated the service staff my throttling / discharging issue. After a short talk they acknowledged that there might be a problem and agreed to do some testing (i had to wait several days for results). In the end the more or less official statement was .. "There is nothing wrong with your PC". They contacted Lenovo headquarters in Beijing and talked to the engineers there (thats what they told me), that was their response. The only thing they did ... installing a "new" BIOS version (CECN44WW). This version reduces GPU clock speeds so they would stay at 700-800 MHz. It didnt even resolve the throttling issue, the system would just heat up slower (thanks for that Lenovo!). Gladly i could flash back to the recent official version CECN26WW (you have to enable the flash back option in BIOS).

At this point it was clear that we have to solve those issues on our own.. here is what you can (or cant) do:

1. Battery discharge

The power supply is the same used by many other Lenovo notebooks, such as the old Y50. There is a 170W version out there with model name ADL170NDC3A and i bought it. Sadly it didnt make a difference, seems the max. input (6.75A) is limited by the system BIOS or there is another mechanism that prevents higher energy consumption (probably to prevent overheating of the stock power supply). Nothing we can do about that unless Lenovo does remove this limitation somehow....

2. Throttling

First thing you can do (and i highly recommend that) is undervolting or downclock your CPU / GPU. I didnt found any tool that worked with the GPU but i did for the CPU. Its called AmdMsrTweaker and will help you to change the Power States of AMDs Cool & Quiet technology. I wrote a small guide in this forum how to use it:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/carizzo-apu-overclocking-undervolting.787097/

I was able to get 3,0 GHz (0.8V / 1.175V real) stable without any throttling in Witcher 3, CPU load was ~90% average. Another thing i am considering is to mod the heatsink (probably add heatpipes). I might give it a try and post some photos to show what is possible. I already checked the free space.. there is plenty to the left and right but height is limited, on top of the heatpipes we only have 3-4 mm (when they reach the cooling block they are already touching the case).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. CarrizoLappy

Reputations:
    Thanks Assembler, great information. I replied to your other thread, i solved my throttling issues by lowering the voltage and keeping the core clock at 3.4Ghz.

How do you change the SSD? I had a quick look inside when i removed the dust filter but it seemed to have something connected to it.

Do you know where i can get some more memory for the laptop? Also does it support faster memory such as 2133Mhz?

6. Assembler

Reputations:
    You mean replacing the HDD with SSD or adding an M.2 SSD ? You can check the Lenovo service manual how to replace the HDD, the M.2 slot is free (but does only support SATA, no PCIe).

RAM speed faster than 1600MHz is not support by the system BIOS, it will down clock any RAM with higher frequencies. Another thing: you will need DDR3L (low voltage) RAM that runs with 1.35V, other voltages are not supported. I can recommend the Kingston RAM i bought (check my initial post), i didn't had any issues so far.

7. CarrizoLappy

Reputations:
    Is the ram you bought any faster than the stock? Is Dual channel auto enabled upon installation of the two sticks.

8. Assembler

Reputations:
    It has lower CAS timings but you will probably not notice any difference in most cases. I mainly bought it to have 16 GB, if you don't need that much RAM then there is no reason for upgrade.

Note: The german review on notebookcheck.com is out !
    http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y700-15ACZ-Notebook.157922.0.html

I asked them if they can contact Lenovo about those throttling, freesync, discharging issues... i would really like to know whats the official statement.

9. CarrizoLappy

Reputations:
    Thanks Assembler, appreciate it.

Would you like to try my script? I've tested it over extended periods of gaming using the integrated and discrete GPU and it appears rock solid stable. All voltages have been lowered, including idle voltages. Temperatures are down, no throttling under any circumstance for me and all at stock clocks. I even lowered the idle voltage. Battery life got a small boost too. I've applied a script so the voltages are auto applied at Windows Boot and when the laptop resumes from sleep.

My script is:

START C:\AmdMsrTweaker\AmdMsrTweaker.exe P0=34@0.850v P1=32@0.750v P2=30@0.650v P3=28@0.550v P4=26@0.450v P5=23@0.300v P6=20@0.150v P7=14@0.01v

Try it out. As long as your FX 8800P can handle 1.2v @3.4ghz there should be no problems. Mine can handle around 1.1.8750 but i run 1.2v to be safe.

10. Diaz_de_vivar

Diaz_de_vivar Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe strange question - did anyone try to run linux on this notebook? If yes - are there any problems with drivers and graphics?

Another question is how comfortable to work with CAD soft (SolidWorks, Inventor or something similar)?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.