IdeaPad Y700-15ACZ Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Assembler, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice writeup. I am surprised to see that this is so much lower than the 960m though. I like that AMD does the crossfire with the integrated GPU and the Dedicated one, but if they can't get the numbers of a mid tier gpu like the 960m then why bother.

For the money the new dell inspiron 7000 series with the 960m is a better buy in my opinion and also around the same price.

2. Assembler

Assembler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This might apply to the more expensive Intel version of the Y700, but at this price range the selection of ports is sufficient (there could be a mini dp connector though).

There is no CrossFire support, the benchmarks i posted are either from the integrated R7 graphics OR the dedicated M385X.

3. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought the x implied it was a crossfire with integrated and dedicated working together... Its been a while since I used something like that though.

*Actually I just checked and it has an M375 so the M385x is a combination of both working in a crossfire like setup.

4. Assembler

Reputations:
    The R9 M385X is the successor of the R9 M280, you can check the specs on AMDs homepage:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/notebook/r9-m200

I think what you found is the 14 inch version Y700-14 that comes with Intel CPU only and the M375 (without X / 4 GB GDDR3).

5. Assembler

Reputations:
    Finally i got some time this weekend for gaming and updated my review, sadly i dont have anything good to report.

6. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think we're ever going to see the Y700-15ACZ in the USA or any 35W Carrizo in a nice package like this. Seemed too good to be true

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

7. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    People have actually used the top of the line Carrizo before and there wasn't really any throttling issue for 35W configs, so I'm not sure if what you are seeing is an isolated issue. Also after updating drivers CCC loves to turn dual graphics on for some reason even if you manually disabled it before so check to see if that's the problem.

Another issue I have noticed is after I upgraded my A10-4600M to 5750M it throttles in games sometimes (even after restarting the laptop) so I found a fix for it by closing the lid of the laptop and letting it go to sleep and after a minute or two I wake it up and the issue is magically gone.

8. Assembler

Reputations:
    CCC doesnt show any option to activate/deactivate dual graphics and the iGPU util. remains at 0% in hwinfo (see attached log file). The CPU alone will not throttle down while running benchmarks, but as soon as the dedicated GPU is used it will.

Attached Files:

9. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like an issue with either the power supply or lenovo's power management software.

10. Assembler

Reputations:
    That's what i thought too but now i am sure... it is insufficient cooling. If the temps that GPU-Z shows for the integrated GPU are correct (and equal to the CPU temps), than the CPU starts throttling itself at 85° or if the M385X hits that point. The CPU alone idles below 40° and stays at 60° after half hour of prime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.