Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arcticreaver

arcticreaver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i'm not sure how good cpuboss is but they have a comparison - Intel Core i7 4702MQ vs 4700MQ

doesn't look too bad. 4700 does perform better but only slightly. 4702has better power consumption. i'm guessing lenovo decided to change their specs. i bet they have a clause somewhere on their website that they won't be liable for any spec changes. or the reps can simply say that it was a type-o. now. unless we have proof that their are y510p users with 4700 and with pics, maybe we can get them to do us favors.

2. the_profesor

the_profesor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter, their advertising it with a haswell 4700mq possessor, not a 4702mq. Yes probably they have a disclaimer saying they can change what ever they want when ever, but the problem still remain they are false advertising a product . I don't care how big of a company you are. Just look at the Aliens: Colonial Marines game and the class action lawsuit filed against them, they advertised the game one way and it wasn't. Lenovo needs a class action lawsuit up their a** to straighten them out.

3. kryogenic

kryogenic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is why they didn't advertise beforehand :p

Honestly, I think I'd prefer a 4702MQ. It's a tiny performance drop in exchange for extended battery life and the y510p's battery life is supposed to be somewhere around 3.5 hours (with or without SLI?).

4. rafiso

rafiso Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Chanz0,

Great feedback. Can I ask you if you're sure that the keyboard are really different ?

I'll get my Y510P from USA next week and I was planning to swap the keyboard with one from a Y500 which has my european layout... Y510P is not available yet here and maybe never as we don't have so many models and prices are overpriced with old-hardware. I talked to Lenovo's "technicians" online and they told me without being 100% sure that the keyboard should be the same as the main change is only the Intel architecture which has been refreshed. My goal was to open both laptop as it's really easy, exchange the 1TB 5400rpm drive with a good 128GB SSD drive and then swap the keyboard => (should be same size and same plugs between Y500 and Y510P :cool: )

Do you think that's OK ? :confused:

Thanks

5. olvrick

olvrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Received y510p with sli yesterday, also get 4702QM.
    Ive called Lenovo support, and they offered me 5% discount. Maybe its even better to have 4702QM due to heat problems.

PS: 5% = 64$

6. Kenstang

Kenstang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I called Lenovo, and they offered a $50 deduction, or $50 worth of accessories, or I could return the laptop for a full refund. He also eluded that I could get a further discount if I returned it and decided to go with something else. I have half considered returning it as this is my.....fourth Y series laptop. The last 3 have all had problems which is how I ended up being able to go with the Y510p. I have unfortunately been completely spoiled by the 1080p screen lol. I had even considered going with another Thinkpad (still have my older T410), but again, the displays of these newer ones have just completely messed me up to the point I don't even know if I could live with a 14" 900p screen anymore. Don't get me wrong though, the Y500/Y510p are behemoths...but could be even more so if they kept it from being so locked down. They just seem to not be as stable as they could be.

7. 83baker83

83baker83 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What model did you purchase in which you received the 4702QM? The SLI?

8. androidman1990

androidman1990 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just noticed that the y510p on Frys website says it has ddr3 ram while the official lenovo site says it has ddr3l ram. Can anyone with the Frys model confirm whether the frys y510p comes with ddr3 or ddr3l?

9. nkatkamwr

nkatkamwr Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys...

I am a grad student... I ll be doing.... open gl ,web programming, mobile app development, photoshop, aftereffects, premeire, sometimes Autodesk apps.. (I know ..it ll need quadro for such processing..but i dunt have tht kinda budget)

I wil be in college.. so a good battery... (optimus ll be handy i guess)

I will be gaming as well.. I want a balanced laptop..

After reading through all this thread...
    I am disappointed with Y510p..... I need a laptop for 1000 USD and after again researching all over ...

I established that SAGER NP7352 is a great buy..from xoticpc... with its optimus, GTX 765 and an 8 cell Battery....

Can some one ... compare and suggest lenovo n Sager ?

or any other laptop?

10. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I was eyeballing that sager model as well. I was going to wait until someone reviewed the screen quality, since I'm a little skeptical of the price. 2 hdd + msata is nice. The only thing I hated was the non-backlit kb. Then again, their back lit keyboard models appear to come with an atrocious backlit trackpad as well(and cost $200+ more).

I canceled my y510p order after a little research. I still might get it but decided to wait a couple months for more reviews on all the competition to surface. I might even pick up something 2 months used from someone for a discount. Right now, everything is too new and unknown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.