Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noxxin

Noxxin Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello TheSonu and notebookreview users.

I have been lurking this thread since page 10 or so but with all this awesome information posted I decided I need to join the forums.

Do you still have the info on that awesome rep or his he tired of all our requests :D.

My email is zacks470@gmail.com if you could forward me that info. Thanks!

2. 83baker83

83baker83 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tested out the y510p gaming yet? and if so how does it compare to the y500?

3. TheSonu

TheSonu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry man! The rep stopped offering the deal last week or so. I'm afraid you're too late :(
    I would still ask some sales representatives by phone for some good deals on this laptop. Good luck!

4. maorcg

maorcg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    MSG FOR ALL
    CHECK YOUR'S LENOVO SERVICES REGISTRATION INFORMATION

i order min laptop with 3YR In-Home + Accidental Damage Protect
    and now i got confirmation email form lenono subject: "LENOVO SERVICES REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION no......."
    and i went to there website to check with S/N of my laptop what warranty i have and it say
    Status: Start date: Expiration date: Available days in warranty:
    "In warranty 6/13/13 6/22/14 373 days remaining"

i have 1 year warranty and not 3
    now im with them on the phone to fix it

5. arcticreaver

arcticreaver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    good to know. i will check this when i get mine.

edit:

i just check lenovo's website. apparently, if you know the serial number of the laptop, you can find the warranty status. mine is correct. 2yr warranty.

6. Kenstang

Kenstang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok....so I received my Y510p today...however on the box it said it had a 4702MQ processor. So I opened it up and checked the system settings in the control panel, and sure enough, it has a 4702MQ in it instead of the 4700MQ as advertised on the website and confirmed in my order. Upon further research, I learned the 4702MQ is a lower voltage haswell, 37W instead of 47W, and is also a 2.2 Ghz instead of the 2.4Ghz. Needless to say I am pissed. Has this happened to anyone else?

7. arcticreaver

arcticreaver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    better call lenovo?

8. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Look on the bright side: You're getting a cooler-running CPU that is only a tiny bit slower. If most owners aren't aware of it yet, the standard voltage i7 in this laptop has serious overheating issues if you disable the built-in throttling with ThrottleStop so that it runs at its advertised Turbo Boost frequencies in games. Even with a decent laptop cooler, my 3630QM gets to almost 100C in a CPU-heavy game like BF3. TJMax is 105C, at which point Lenovo has programmed the machine to perform a premature thermal shutdown (Ivy Bridge is supposed to begin throttling at 105C and only shuts down around 130C). So there's almost no thermal headroom with this machine, and I can't imagine Haswell is any cooler. If anything, it should run hotter. Both my GPU's are more than 20C cooler than the CPU under load, even though they're running a massive overclock.

9. chanz0

chanz0 Newbie

Reputations:
    I also received a Y510 with the 4702MQ rather than the 4700MQ. I am not pleased.

Currently I have both the Y500 and Y510 in my possession. My preliminary testing has revealed this:
    (1) The anti-glare screen on the Y510 looks better than the gloss screen on the Y500. The LCD/LED (whatever they are using) might have higher nits.
    (2) The keyboard on the Y500 feels better than on the Y510. While neither is bad, the Y500's strokes feel fuller and more satisfying whereas the Y510's feel shallower. This might have something to do with how the internals are arranged to make the laptop slightly thinner.
    (3) Battery: Surprisingly the Y500 is holding up BETTER than Y510p. As I type, i have an hour left of battery on the Y500 whereas the Y510 just gave me the low battery warning. Perhaps this is due to the difference in screen brightness? Both laptops were set to max brightness.
    (4) The Windows Experience Rating: I know this is not the best comparison of CPU and GPU processing capability. Regardless, as the same method was used to compare both laptops, I feel it is a relatively fair method of comparison. Unsurprisingly, the Y510 received better scores for the Processor (7.8 vs 7.4) and RAM (8.1 vs 7.7) parameters. Everything else was identical.
    (5) No discernible differences in heat production. Then again, I haven't pushed either machine too hard.

I'm still peeved about the CPU and will probably return the Y510. The main reason I wanted the Y510 over the Y500 was for the extra battery life. Unfortunately, it is not delivering in that regard. That being said, I've had the Y500 for a week longer, so it may be that I've broken in the battery whereas the Y510's still needs to run through a couple of cycles first.

10. Kenstang

Kenstang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

So are you saying that its better that I have the 4702MQ? It just seems like I was ripped off in that I was supposed to have a 2.4 base clock and instead I am getting a 2.2 base clock, albeit with the lower voltage. You seem pretty knowledable with this....is this system worth keeping?