Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lol, I was joking, I probably ain't even in the same country as you.

Theoretically it might be possible to replace it with an IPS if it uses the same connector, and if the dimensions of your TN panel and the replacement panel are the same.

Though in my opinion its not worth it, as the Y510p 1080p panel is already a decent one. From memory the anti-glare one has like above 90% sRGB coverage, and very high contrast levels. You'd only be gaining better viewing angles, which isn't as important in my opinion. You should be glad you don't have the 768p panel, like I have. ;)

2. themillen

themillen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    agree, but i do care about viewing angles, as well as the ips color pop. like i said ive been spoiled with every other display i own being an IPS, as well as this really being the only other option for me to upgrade on this thing (already did ram, as well as 480gb ssd) so i figured id give myself a little xmas gift and please my eyes! :)

besides idk if it's me, but text seems a little grainy on this display.

3. Incontro

Reputations:
    In my opinion the color and contrast of your TN panel (having used it in the past) is just as good (if not better), than the two IPS panels I use currently.

Anyway, at the end of the day it is your choice, but unfortunately I don't know much more on doing this replacement than what I've already said. If you are still keen to go ahead, perhaps you can post a new thread in the Hardware Upgrades forum.

themillen likes this.
  4. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    ~500:1 contrast ratio on the Y500/Y510p 1080p TN panel isn't great and black levels are quite high, not to mention the viewing angles can't compare to IPS.

5. Wyall

Wyall Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a problem with my keyboard: Sometimes the G-Key isn't working correctly. One corner of the key isn't really going down if you press the button, so it's not getting detected. As if there was something that prevents that.

Now the question is: Whats the best way to look what it could be or clean it? Trying to remove the key or buy removing the whole keyboard or something else?

6. berrykerry789

berrykerry789 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can pop the key off by using a small flat head screw driver. Do it carefully though to prevent breaking the key. It shouldn't take that much to pop it off.

7. Dragon_Void

Dragon_Void Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Incontro

Reputations:
    It probably should, however remember to put the SSD in the default internal bay rather than the UltraBay (due to SATA2 limitation).

BTW, the one I bought was this, and its working perfectly:

2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy for Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 Y500N Y510P | eBay

9. miwiken

miwiken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I just repasted my ultrabay gpu and saw the average temperature improve by 2 degree under load and 7 degrees while idling. It also seemed to improve the internal gpu's temperature underload by 3 degrees. I haven't done a repaste so does that usually happen? As in, will repasting the ultrabay gpu improve the internal gpu's temperature? Is it because the insides of the laptop aren't getting quite so hot?

internal gpu went from (underload) 83 average and 86 max to 76 average and 83 max.
    ultrabay gpu went from (underload) 94 average and 97 max (yikes) to 92 average and 97 max.

My second question is, what sort of improvement should I be seeing from the repaste (the thermal paste I used isn't supposed to need curing)? When I opened up the ultrabay there was virtually no thermal paste on the thing so I imagine even my poor job of applying it was better than what was there and thus the slight temperature improvement.

Help is appreciated.

10. cliffB

cliffB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dropped my temps from 96C - 100C to 80C - 84C at load by undervolting Dynamic CPU voltage offset by -75.195mV and cleaning out the dust in both GPU fans.

To undervolt I use intel extreme tuning utiility.

At load for me is playing Bf4 while running teamspeak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.