1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

1. byviolet

byviolet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Think I'm going to get this laptop. My budget is around $1,400. What's the best possible configuration I can get from this laptop for that money? (including resellers, I was looking at xotic but they have an ETA of mid-august for one model, and the other model has a blueray ultrabay which I'm not too sure I'll need)

2. panzer06

panzer06 His Imperial Majesty

Reputations:
    This laptop only accepts cards on the whitelist so replacing the card is not easily accomplished.

Cheers,

3. butthead2711

butthead2711 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where can I find this whitelist?

4. cbautis2

cbautis2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You have to modify the BIOS to remove the whitelist coded in the BIOS in order to get a much better WiFi adapter than the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230. So far Lenovo and HP are the most notorious in implementing this only approved HP/Lenovo FRU WiFi adapter is accepted. At least my old laptop (came with Broadcom 802.11b/g) is now sporting the Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260.

5. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Haven't checked up here in a few weeks. Have any of the issues with switching cards for power been fixed? I'm thinking about looking inter an Asus laptop with a 650m instead. I think I would rather see if I can find something with a better CPU as well since I'm a video editor.

6. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good luck finding anything better than an i7-4700MQ for a low price.Only thing ive seen with a better CPU in the 1.1Grand price range is the ENVY 15t-j000 Quad Edition series, configured with an i7-4900MQ, however you will have to pay extra to get a 740m installed (which equals a 650m), pay extra for backlight, bluetooth, etc.

If you want something better CPU-wise, you might as well just buy a desktop.

7. butthead2711

butthead2711 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What would I have to do in BIOS?

8. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I already have a desktop. (could be upgraded as I have a AMD Phenom II Black Edition 3.2GHz and a Radeon HD 5770)

But what if my budget was larger? I would rather have a slightly better CPU, to improve render times, than 2 video cards.

9. Bitmaximus

Bitmaximus Newbie

Reputations:
    I've bought a y510p and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I ordered mine from the Canadian website, can anyone having received their machines confirm a few things?

First of all, I have heard rumours of people receiving the machine without the listed 4700MQ processor and receiving a 4702MQ instead. Has this been an issue recently or only when they first started shipping out?

Second of all, I am confused, my model is the single 750m graphics model. It appears as though in the future the machine is still built to support SLI with a second card and one could be added? I'm not 100% sure on this can someone confirm?

Third of all, I have heard mixed opinions on whether the machine overheats (more people saying it doesn't). To me it does not look as if it would overheat, especially with the single GPU.

Fourth of all, there are supposed to be 4 options for the ultra-bay: 750m graphics secondary, dvd/bluray drive, extra hard drive/caddy, extra fan. Where are these modules available and if they are not available as of yet, any word on when they will be?

I'll appreciate as many of my concerns as possible being answered, as, god know, lenovo won't answer them with their atrocious god damn awful customer support... sigh. I want to buy a second machine for a friend but would like these answers first. Thanks in advance!

Liam

10. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. If you buy a single card model, you are guaranteed to get a 4700.

2. Yes, you cal always order the 750M addon card + the bigger power adapter and get SLI capablity in the future.

3. The machine is actually less hot than some MSI laptops. IMHO it doesnt get too warm, the only possibly annoying thing is the direction of the air vents (on the side). Take a look at the review here:

4. Ive seen a few on Lenovo's website, namely the caddy and the blu-ray. They are a bit hard to find. I havent seen the fan, and i know you can order the Graphic bay by calling Lenovo support.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p (59370006) Review | Gaming Laptop Reviews

5. I agree that some rep's have no idea what products they are servicing. Shame.