Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'Yoga, IdeaPad & Essential' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Bitmaximus

Bitmaximus Newbie

Reputations:
    I've bought a y510p and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I ordered mine from the Canadian website, can anyone having received their machines confirm a few things?

First of all, I have heard rumours of people receiving the machine without the listed 4700MQ processor and receiving a 4702MQ instead. Has this been an issue recently or only when they first started shipping out?

Second of all, I am confused, my model is the single 750m graphics model. It appears as though in the future the machine is still built to support SLI with a second card and one could be added? I'm not 100% sure on this can someone confirm?

Third of all, I have heard mixed opinions on whether the machine overheats (more people saying it doesn't). To me it does not look as if it would overheat, especially with the single GPU.

Fourth of all, there are supposed to be 4 options for the ultra-bay: 750m graphics secondary, dvd/bluray drive, extra hard drive/caddy, extra fan. Where are these modules available and if they are not available as of yet, any word on when they will be?

I'll appreciate as many of my concerns as possible being answered, as, god know, lenovo won't answer them with their atrocious god damn awful customer support... sigh. I want to buy a second machine for a friend but would like these answers first. Thanks in advance!

Liam

2. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. If you buy a single card model, you are guaranteed to get a 4700.

2. Yes, you cal always order the 750M addon card + the bigger power adapter and get SLI capablity in the future.

3. The machine is actually less hot than some MSI laptops. IMHO it doesnt get too warm, the only possibly annoying thing is the direction of the air vents (on the side). Take a look at the review here:

4. Ive seen a few on Lenovo's website, namely the caddy and the blu-ray. They are a bit hard to find. I havent seen the fan, and i know you can order the Graphic bay by calling Lenovo support.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p (59370006) Review | Gaming Laptop Reviews

5. I agree that some rep's have no idea what products they are servicing. Shame.

3. dr_hfuhuhurr

dr_hfuhuhurr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know the price of the ultrabay 750M add-on? Or comment on what it might go for?

4. Bitmaximus

Bitmaximus Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you gleaned anything from lenovo on when the 750m card will be available? How much it will cost? Also, do you mind posting links to the bluray and hdd caddy from them? Thank you so very much for answering all my questions! P.S. If either one of us ever finds a lenovo rep in technical support or otherwise who actually knows what they are talking about, shall we take his name and number and distribute it to those in need :p?

5. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I believe it goes from 200$ to 300$. I cannot find it on the site, but give Lenovo a call and they should be able to give you the price.

6. Ashmedai

Ashmedai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The day before my laptop arrived after 4 weeks of waiting, I ordered one from Rakuten with dial gpus, 8gb of ram, no ssd, (it was cheaper and I'm getting $250 in points), it arrived the next day, I'll just return the other one to Lenovo. The one from Lenovo has the 4702, the one from Rakuten has the 4700 (both have anti glare screens), playing Bioshock Infnite on both laptops and using Nvidia inspector, the cards were about 5-10 degrees hotter with the 4700 than the 4702. Is that a significant amount? Is it possible to undervolt the 4700 to make it match the 4702, or should i not bother?

7. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    That sounds about right, because the 4700MQ is 300 Mhz faster and has a TDP that is 10 W higher. It's impossible to undervolt it but you can use something like ThrottleStop to reduce the clock speeds and lower temperatures.

8. Ashmedai

Ashmedai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To anyone who opened up their laptop, assuming I could get a hold of an NGFF SSD, would it be easy to install? Does it just slide in, or would it require me further disassemble the computer? Thanks

9. cbautis2

cbautis2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sad to say that Lenovo removed the NGFF port in the y510p even though the motherboard has a slot for the NGFF SSD. Here's the Lenovo forum thread that discusses this outrage: NO NGFF in Lenovo Y510p - Lenovo Community

10. lewstherin95

lewstherin95 Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, so I bought a y510p blu-ray version last month and figured I'd post about my experience with it. When I first received it it would not charge correctly unless you plugged in power with the battery removed, turn it on, and then re-insert the battery. Lenovo Support ended up sending me a replacement AC adapter. After I got it and sent in the old one it still didn't work, and after Lenovo support remoted in and tried some things, most of which I'd already done, they had me send it in for repair. About a week or so later I got it back and it turned out that it just had a bad battery. Lenovo Support was actually fairly helpful, minus the wrong diagnosis at first. Plus the version of PowerDVD it came with couldn't play BluRay's so I had to go buy different software, but I didn't really expect much from the bloatware it came with. As for performance, I haven't been able to slow it down yet, but I don't have any very graphic - intensive games. My model has the anti-glare screen and the 4700. This single GPU model has the switchable graphics which work perfectly so far. I haven't had any overheating or anything, but this isn't the SLI so it probably was never at too much risk of heat problems. Touchpad isn't the best, but I use a mouse anyways and overall, minus the bad battery, I've been very happy with it so far. I am interested in putting a 2.5" SSD in it to replace the slower 5400rpm HDD, but am not sure I want to invest that much more money into it yet.