1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Pfft. I'm addicted to online forums. Look at my join date and postcount. I'm probably NBR's most active user.

One day I shall break my cell phone and stop posting this frequently.

2. Lizarrdo

Lizarrdo Notebook Enthusiast

i've never overclocked before ;(. oh and which would u say is better for gaming - gtx 765m or a gt 750m sli

3. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

750M SLI for sure. With good SLI scaling it's even faster than GTX 770M.

4. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Notebook Guru

This worked, thanks.

5. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

750M SLI, but don't let that be your only factor when choosing a laptop.

6. lao3hero

lao3hero Notebook Consultant

I think 331.58 is better than. 65. Cuz. 65 gave me less fps in FXIV on max settings..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

7. Varroa

Varroa Notebook Consultant

A little update on my undervolting experiment. Looks like I am stable at -120mV on the CPU core and -75mV on both the cache and the iGPU. I just ran the intel stress test and it has been running for 50 min so far and temps are at 78c max. Also, my turbo is still running! I am using 32x/31x/30x/29x so all 4 cores have been running at 2.9Ghz for the entire length of the test so far, woot! I tried -125mV on the core but that caused a reboot after almost 20 mins into the test. There might be more room on the cache and iGPU but I didn't notice as much of a temp savings when undervolting those.

8. Varroa

D'oh! It just rebooted after almost 55mins into the test. I guess I need to back of just a touch more.

9. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Notebook Guru

How much less?

10. dtmwerks

dtmwerks Notebook Consultant

Ok guys, based on what I read I think I know what I want to do to help my laptop

Overclock is around 5-10% performance increase and probably around 5-10% heat increase? SLI would probably be way more than that so I don't think I want to go that option just yet. Is that correct?

What kind of risk is there for these lenovo cards when I overclock them. Reduced life? I think I'll just be playing oblivion, sc2, dota2, bf4 so nothing too intensive. Don't think I need SLI just yet.

Then I guess after I overclock, I would undervolt? So if I want to do these two things, overclock the card, undervolt...something, whatever it is...to help reduce the heat, how do I go about this. And guides/programs I can download? I have NEVER done anything like this or remotely close to this before... so any help is appreciated.

11. Varroa

I don't think you can overclock AND undervolt, it is one or the other.

12. dtmwerks

"I don't think you can overclock AND undervolt, it is one or the other. "

Haha...well don't I feel silly. Hmm..do you know if I SLI AND undervolt...would the temp be lower than a stock single card without undervolt?

13. Varroa

It won't be lower then a single card stock voltage combo but it will be not as high as a dual card stock voltage. Adding SLI adds anotheer 30 - 40 watts of power to your system when in use and undervolting only drops about 10 watts or so.

14. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

TDP controls are locked on this system (due to HM86). Thus, the only advantages of undervolting CPU are lowering temps and reducing throttling.

15. terragady

terragady Notebook Guru

Hi I am on my way to buy new laptop, I was almost convinced to clevo p150sm but I don't like noise there and sound quality, and also y510p is much cheaper. But there are few things which i will want to know, if you will be so kind to answer of course :)
    I would like to buy with SLI option.

1. i5 or i7 processor? I heard that the difference in perfmorance is very small or nothing, and i5 will be colder?
    2. There is simply way to switch to integrated graphic card without pulling out second graphic card? Or even if I will pull second graphic card it is easy to switch to integrated? This will cause any disadvantages?
    3. Enhancing cooling system is easy to do? I mean repasting or anything else?
    3. Temperatures are high, but this only can cause uncomfortable usage or also parts will get old much faster? What temperature is for HDD? As I dont want to loose any data...
    4. What is the HDD installed? (this hybrid HDD/SDD) My old 1tb WD scorpio blue will be better? again in terms to not loose any data :)
    5. There is a way to increase fan speed? Or install different fan? How about cooling pad, it will took some temperature? (i hope not only 1-3C?)
    6. What is the size of power supply? It is that big as Clevo supplies?
    7. I am worried also about WiFi card as its crap... but with unlocked bios there is a chance to replace it with something better? Unlocking bios is recommended?

16. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

1. Depends on what you do on your laptop. For future-proofing i would go for i7.
    2. Use linux :) Dual-Boot FTW :)
    3. Repasting the main system voids your warranty. Repasting the ultrabay does not.
    3. (2) HDD stays decently cool
    4. It's a 5400RPM + 8GB drive by SeaGate.
    5. I'm no expert in cooling pads, but they do help.
    6. 170W. Smaller than Clevo but still quite large.
    7. Stock WiFi is decent, just use the right drivers. If you need to upgrade, use the modded bios and the Intel 7620. But only use the modded bios if you need it, because if you poke around with the wrong settings on the modded bios it could brick your device.

17. dtmwerks

Ok. Undervolting only lowers power by 10 watts? For scale, how many watts does it use usually? And how much temp drops have you guys recorded?

Any guides of how to do this specifically for y510p?

18. terragady

terragady Notebook Guru

2. I do not like linux that much... but maybe liveboot from pendrive will be fine. But why do you suggesting linux? I do not get? It will increase battery life or there is possibility to change graphics? When I am using laptop on battery I am browsing web, using microsoft office or watching clips or series. There is no office for linux.. i know that there is openoffice but its not the same and openoffice do not support comments which I am using a lot writing articles.
    3. There are warranty stickers?
    4. hate seagate, I will stay with WD
    5. Now I see that there are no many vents under so cooling pad will not be so efficient..
    6. How smaller? I couldnt find any info on web.. maybe someone who has it can say something? I heard that there are two different power supplies for SLI and smaller for single card? Can't i just use this smaller?
    7. I would rather go for BigFoot killer as I already have it :)

+ any info what temperature will do with components? It is still fine for them or it may cause a problems?
    + maybe something about sound quality? It is good? There is realtek ALC XXX similar to Clevo p150sm where sound is terrible, even through jack. How is sound with external speakers?
    + what kind of ram memory is inside? (8gb version) Its CL8 ? CL9?

19. hlw_rocer

hlw_rocer Notebook Guru

is it normal for the ship date to be delayed an extra two months...?

20. BubbaRob

BubbaRob Notebook Consultant

Anyone see an issue with using one of those china made HDD caddies that supposedly fit in the ultrabay to fill the empty slot when I remove the extra 750 from the slot? The caddy will be empty and just a placeholder to keep dust out. I wonder if it will cause any errors since it will be plugged in to the slot but with no actual drive in it. I rarely run SLI and my battery life increases dramatically when I remove the second card. Just don't like the hole in the side.