1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

1. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

There isn't, at least not for people like me who never use Metro and already have a good third-party UI fix like StartIsBack. And in some ways it's even worse than Windows 8 with all the deceptive practices and things like the removal of Windows 7 File Recovery along with its automatic Windows Backup feature, which I use on a regular basis. But some people just like to have the newest-and-greatest thing whether or not it actually benefits them. I mean I haven't even updated to iOS 7 on my iPhone and iPad because I'm not a phone and tablet person so I just don't care.

I know Windows 8 has basically been deprecated now with the release of 8.1, but I'm just gonna keep using it until support for it stops in two years, and then I'm either moving on to Windows 9 if it's been released yet and is good, or I'm going back to Windows 7.

2. Revolution09

Revolution09 Newbie

I figured out how to fix my second video card not working on windows 8.1. Just uninstall you current video card drivers, restart your computer and then install 320.49 WHQL NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce 320.49 Driver WHQL. It's only a temporary fix until lenovo fixes the problem.

3. kiteboy

kiteboy Notebook Enthusiast

Hi all

This may belong in a different thread but thought I would ask the owners!

Basically was thinking of getting the new dell xps system but the price for me is ridiculous

So now looking at the y510p - looks good bang for the buck

Just wanted to know what sort of problems I should look out for - any configurations that are better than others etc

I assume an ssd can be fittted?

Does it still have trackpad issues I know the y500 supposed to have had issues in the past

Looking to buy from the us too through ebay as a lot cheaper than in the uk
    thanks for any advice - will slowly be going through some of these 200 pages

4. panzer06

panzer06 His Imperial Majesty

Indeed. I concur. I usually don't like to upgrade unless it's necessary. I have 2 Windows PCs and a Windows Tablet. All run Windows 8 and are working as they should. I don't need the start button and us them to run Windows applications or games. I don't really care what the underlying OS is.

I did update to iOS 7 and while I don't like the overall look it works well and I haven't had any real issue except the lack of push support in Exchange.

Cheers,

5. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Well, it depends on what you're looking for in the laptop. If you want to play new games on high settings, definitely get the SLI configuration as that will be your best shot. The SLI card does get hot and seriously hinders your battery life (even when disabled, you would need to remove the card entirely by shutting down and removing the battery to get the battery life improvement) so just consider if you need the power.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Those two sites might be a good gauge for what kind of games each setup will run. Make sure to get the 1080p display and the 24GB SSD cache, but other than that just choose between the ultrabay (SLI card, Bluray or DVD).

6. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Single is best for 720p gaming/portability/watching movies and SLI is best for 1080p/external monitor gaming or rendering/compute.

As for the battery life, you can get ~5 hours on Single (with Optimus/power saver) while only getting 2-3 hours on SLI.

I personally recommend having both ultrabays.

7. gomess023

gomess023 Notebook Enthusiast

For people that don't use v sync when playing. Do you disable the feature in game or under nvidia control panel.

8. EmberV

EmberV Notebook Consultant

It's LVDS all the way through, no converter board or anything.

Here is a few panels that would work:
    1600x900, matte, 15.6": AUO B156RW01 V.3
    1600x900, glossy, 15.6": AUO B156RW01 V.0
    1920x1080, matte 15.6": LG Display LP156WF1-TLB2 (this is used by Lenovo officially)
    1920x1080, glossy 15.6": LG Display LP156WF1-TLC1 (this is used by Lenovo officially)
    1920x1080, matte, 15.6": high color gamut: AUO B156HW01 V.4
    1920x1080, glossy, 15.6": high color gamut: AUO B156HW01 V.7

9. EmberV

Because I CBA to list out every single compatible panel. There are probably like at least 30 compatible replacements with different resolutions, surface finishes, and contrast ratios, but I feel that these were the best ones of the bunch. Feel free to look through them yourself.
    That's a Panelook internal code and doesn't mean anything. As long as it's 40-pin LVDS, is a 15.6" panel, and has the same mounting solution it will work. I replaced my y410p's screen with a different one (they all come with glossy screens and I wanted matte) with a different "pin configuation" code and it works fine.

10. EmberV

Yes, I'm sure.

Those 1920x1080 15.6" IPS panels (LP156WF3-SLB2 and LP156WF3-SLB1) made by LG Display that you are referring to are 50-pin LVDS which doesn't work since you only have a 40-pin LVDS interface. Also it looks like the panel's connector is in the wrong location (top right). It looks like the backlight on those models also has its own connector which is not present on the y510p. There is a 1366x768 panel available that should work but I don't know why you would downgrade to such low resolution just for IPS. I didn't check the connector location, but check it just to be sure.

The 1920x1080 panels I listed are 2-channel 6-bit 40-pin LVDS, which match up with what Lenovo uses officially in the 1920x1080 y510p variants and will just be a straight swap. I forgot to mention in my last post that the location of the connector is important too, so just check some reference photos, but the ones I listed are fine. The connector should be in the bottom left when flipped around. The Hardware Maintenance Manual does not specify a different cable type for the 1600x900 screens vs the 1920x1080 screens, so it will just be a simple panel swap regardless of what resolution version you are coming from.

Different companies make panels that are compatible with each other because they know that OEMs like Lenovo will buy them to fill out their supply chain. Relying on a single manufacturer doesn't make sense, will cause delays in manufacturing if the product is in high demand, and you will not get the best price.

11. EmberV

This panel also has the wrong mounting solution for the y510p. You need side mounting holes (8-M2) on left, right bezel. The panel you found has face mounting holes (8 pcs) on up, down slugs.

12. dzylon

dzylon Notebook Enthusiast

I too plan on doing this. Did you get the high gamut screen? If so, would you say it was worth the price difference?

13. EmberV

Hi, I said I have the y410p. This has the 14.0" screen and there are no compatible high color gamut options available for me.

If you search around on Google a bit, the AUO B156HW01 series seems to be well regarded and has nice colors, though it is not an IPS panel. Make sure you are getting the correct version from the seller so you know you get the specs you wanted. Also be aware that if you want to replace the screen on the y510p, you will have to take apart the entire laptop. So the process is ultrabay device, back cover, hard drive, keyboard, palm rest, motherboard, speakers and power connector, hinges, then screen bezel. Refer to the hardware maintenance manual for complete instructions. I was able to do my y410p in about an hour without losing or forgetting any screws, so the laptop is certainly easy to take apart. Just be careful when taking apart the LCD bezel, it is tricky and you will need a plastic wedge to undo the clips that hold it together.

Lykos likes this.
  14. kiteboy

kiteboy Notebook Enthusiast

Hi guys
    Ive just gone and bought a y510p

Its comes with a 24gb Msata Cache Drive

Just thinking is it worth swapping this out for something like a 128gb m4 msata drive? Would it fit - up to the right spec?

Or perhaps go with a full size ssd......any recommendation or thoughts would be appreciated

15. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

No it won't fit. The SSD slot in the Y510p is 42 mm M.2, not mSATA.

16. AnarchyBurger8t8

AnarchyBurger8t8 Newbie

Anyone running windows 8.1 yet? It just came out as a free update, I'm wondering how the nvidia drivers are for gaming.

I don't want to install the update then have bad drivers that are unstable. I'm currently on 320.49 cause they are most stable for my 750 sli set up, in my experience.

17. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

I'm sure others who have updated can chime in on this, but from what I've read I highly recommend not doing it. I've seen everything from SLI not working to games freezing and crashing to display blurriness and visual glitches, not to mention 8.1 is a step backward from 8 in many ways since M$ in their infinite wisdom decided to remove or alter a lot of useful features.

18. berrykerry789

berrykerry789 Notebook Consultant

I've installed windows 8.1 and can confirm that the single 750m has no issues on ir. I'm not sure about SLI though.

Jobine likes this.
  19. Baulderstone

Baulderstone Newbie

I couldn't access the second SLI card with 8.1. I tried to trick of using an old driver that some people are suggesting, and that allowed SLI, but I experienced a few crashes that were specifically caused by the drivers. Fortunately, I backed up an image before upgrading, so it was no problem going back to 8 for me.

20. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

What is the version number of that driver? I need to know this.