Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'Yoga, IdeaPad & Essential' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

1. AnarchyBurger8t8

AnarchyBurger8t8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

So I bought an Samsung 840 pro 256gb and the cloned partitions of the 1TB hard drive with EaseUS Todo Backup; the ssd drive is not bootable. I know I am late to the party and can't read 103 pages of this thread so does anyone have a tips or a tutorial to correctly clone the drive. thanks in advance.

2. SpecialSymbols

SpecialSymbols Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay so with brightness at 60%, idle brightness at 25%, NVIDIA card disabled through Device Manager, no SLI, just the Y510p version with the blu ray, no backlit keyboard, iGPU chosen through NVIDIA control panel, i got....

2:45 hrs of battery life before it shut down on me. (Again shut down at 6%).

Is there any other way to correctly disable the NVIDIA graphics card besides what I've done already?

3. anisali01

anisali01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess the HP envy with the 740m or 750m(whenever it's updated) will still get better battery life. I don't game much but I do need something light and all day battery if I'm at school from 9-7 for two days a week and wanna work on music for DJing

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4. panzer06

panzer06 His Imperial Majesty

Reputations:
    I have the 500gb version of the 840 series and I used acronis 2013 to clone the 1tb over to my new 500gb ssd. It made a perfect copy which was immediately bootable. No bios changes, not settings to tweak. It worked perfectly.

I have other computers so it was easy to take the 1tb drive out and clone it while connected to another system.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Grim Tuesday

Grim Tuesday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question to anyone:

The Lenovo outlet is out of stock of the 750M SLI version, no? Has anyone found a good supplier?

6. BlazeHN

BlazeHN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Dunno
    2. Its 4GB x2
    3. Yes they just changed it from anti glare to glossy on the Y510p dunno why, maybe stock reasons?

7. olvrick

olvrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ive installed Windows 8.1 and noticed, that there is NO DRIVER for cache drive. On Lenovo drive no drivers calles ExpressCache.
    Anyone knows, where to download it?

8. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  9. brian1649

brian1649 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Woah woah woah. been reading through a few of these last pages here and people are reporting into the 4 to 5 hour range with light usage, aka note taking and other college work? Compared to the MSI GE60 2OE, that's amazing. Been looking at the MSI, but I might jump on this quick. Some were mentioning that they were disabling the 750m and running on the integrated graphics, but I thought that Lenovo had disabled the integrated graphics, or is that only with the sli model? I was looking at buying from frys.com so I could get the blue ray bundle as well, thus shoving that in when I wasn't using the second graphics card and hopefully saving battery. This being said though, I would be very interested if there was a site like Xotic PC which allowed you to customize the y510p instead of just buying the models that Lenovo offers.

10. Kenstang

Kenstang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Brian, yes, you can enable the integrated GPU on the Y510p. Whether or not they have changed this on later builds I do not know. My model was one of the first, however you cannot have the convenience of using Optimus switchable graphics to my knowledge. The only way I can do it is by manually changing the active GPU from the control panel. To do this (if you have dual graphics), it requires you to remove the 2nd SLI card (you can either leave the bay empty or put in the optical drive when you are not in need of dual graphics). The battery life is considerably better than when you are running on the dedicated GPU. You just have to jump through a couple hoops to get it working, because Lenovo more or less "hides" the iGPU, it actually doesn't even have the driver installed for it from the factory you have to manually do it.