1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Was that with the intel or Nvidia GPU? SLI or non SLI?

2. Ohfoohy

Ohfoohy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. Albake21

Albake21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok guys I can report that I did what Kenstang did exactly. After playing around with it I can report that from just browsing with about 90% brightness and no backlit keyboard, my battery indicator is showing that with 82% of battery I have 6 hr and 38 min.

4. gnan10

gnan10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its really sad. I couldn't find best cooling pad for y500. Since I am searching very badly from 4 days. Its paining in a$$ :eek: . i need a best cooling pad. What you people say about deepcool multicore x6. it has 4 fans. But in a big dilemma whether it chills my lap or not. Can someone please suggest me a good one. Definitely will be apritiated much.
    Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. Xentar712

Xentar712 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got the Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim 160mm fan. It was super cheap(I think I paid $15 shipped on Amazon). It's only 1 fan but you really don't need much to cool that laptop. Just the gap alone was more than enough to keep your lap cool. The laptop itself has plenty of ventilation to keep itself at good temps. The laptop sit on it perfectly with the edges of the pad resting just under the edges of the laptop. It's very light too. I hate complicated and expensive pads, which is why I went with that one.

6. SpecialSymbols

SpecialSymbols Newbie

Reputations:
    For my 2:55 battery run, I did not have the SLI model, i have the model with blu ray. I didn't change any settings in the NVIDIA control panel.

I'm trying another battery run, I've set the global settings in the NVIDIA control panel to Integrated Graphics under 'Manage 3D Settings' and 'CPU' under 'Set PhysX configuration'. Also, I've set the idle brightness to 25%. And I'm disconnecting my external mouse. Will report back later.

7. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sigh, for better results, turn the nvidia card off and the intel card on...

8. lstreak

lstreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I have a few questions on this laptop.

1. What is the battery capacity (in WHr)?
    2. Is the 8GB RAM present as 2 x 4GB or single 8GB stick? I would like to upgrade the RAM in future and if it would be great if it's a single DIMM.
    3. The specs on Lenovo site says the screen is Glossy. I remember them being Anti-Glare. Has lenovo changed the type of screen on this model?

Thanks!

9. AnarchyBurger8t8

AnarchyBurger8t8 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

So I bought an Samsung 840 pro 256gb and the cloned partitions of the 1TB hard drive with EaseUS Todo Backup; the ssd drive is not bootable. I know I am late to the party and can't read 103 pages of this thread so does anyone have a tips or a tutorial to correctly clone the drive. thanks in advance.

10. SpecialSymbols

SpecialSymbols Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay so with brightness at 60%, idle brightness at 25%, NVIDIA card disabled through Device Manager, no SLI, just the Y510p version with the blu ray, no backlit keyboard, iGPU chosen through NVIDIA control panel, i got....

2:45 hrs of battery life before it shut down on me. (Again shut down at 6%).

Is there any other way to correctly disable the NVIDIA graphics card besides what I've done already?