1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Ideapad Y510P

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by MJG1492, Jun 2, 2013.

1. MJG1492

MJG1492 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well it's official
    Newegg.com - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p (59362706) Notebook Intel Core i7 4700MQ(2.40GHz) 15.6" 12GB Memory 8GB SSD 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI

Haswell 4700MQ(2.40GHz)

On the front page of newegg.com. Not a fan of 8GB SSD though? Lenovo website still isn't updated as of this moment.

***UPDATE**** Do to recent information that has been brought to my attention I have updated my post.

I really wish lenovo would get there act together. There mistakes on there website are unbelievable and inexcusable. The fact they still haven't fixed the 720m graphics card says a lot. I think it's safe to say anyone ordering from lenovo is taking a calculated risk. Let hope and pray once they get there U.S. factory up and running these mistakes stop. It's clear there factory in china simple doesn't care or orders are getting messed up in translation. Till there mistakes are corrected I advice anyone looking to buy this model to either buy from a big box store where they can read the box themselves or go with another manufacture.

2. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

Reputations:
    That's a Y500. With Haswell. Why not just call it for what it is instead of using a whole new name?

3. the_profesor

the_profesor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Just a re-hash of the y500, and if any changes were made their probability not that important. It's kind of odd that lenovo them selves don't even it listed and newegg does. Usually company's will issue them to take it down because it officially hasn't been announced.

4. Albake21

Albake21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe they fixed some of the problems that people have been having? Like a newer trackpad?

5. the_profesor

the_profesor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The trackpad was fixed with the "updated" 750m version. With that being said, a lot of issues were not addressed with this so called "updated" version and I don't think they fixed anything, I'm hoping for lenovo's sake they did.

6. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

Reputations:
    If you're still considering the Y500 for your next laptop purchase (and I don't blame you at all if you've already given up on it), it might be a good idea to take a wait-and-see approach. Different SKU's will pop up on Lenovo.com and hopefully people who buy the new models will report on whether any problems have been fixed. As of right now, the better-specced MSI GX60 is only a little more than the Lenovo Y510p on Newegg and it's a better deal IMO if you're willing to forgo some CPU performance.

Based on what I know I wouldn't say the clickpad was completely "fixed" after they switched to Synaptics; it just became less broken. The cursor twitching when pressing the buttons is still there and while you can get rid of it by turning sensitivity way down, it's a bandaid fix at best. Having sensitivity so low with a large screen and clickpad scroll area is pretty inconvenient since it takes like 5 swipes just to get from one side of the screen to the other.

If Lenovo fixed anything, it's definitely under the hood because nothing looks different in those Newegg pictures. Looking at the specs, Haswell and 8GB (instead of 16GB) SSD cache are the only changes.

7. MJG1492

MJG1492 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like there will be a 24 gig msata with 16 gigs of ram whenever the lenovo site gets updated. Biggest change will be the Y410P. Looks like they will begin selling a stock sli version.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. Albake21

Reputations:
    Well what I think I settled with what im going to do. Since I technically dont need a perfectly good laptop until August, im going to experiment a little. I will most likely buy the Y510p and see how it turns out. If I get upset with it or it fails on me, I will then return it and buy the new GE60 with a GTX 765m. The problem with the GX60 is the size. That is the whole reason why I am selling my current GT60 because I need something more portable for college in the Fall.

9. octiceps

octiceps Notebook Profit

Reputations:
    But GT 750M SLI and GT 650M SLI are both significantly faster than a single GTX 765M.

That could very well be the case. 1TB 5400 RPM + 8GB SSD sounds very much like Seagate's newest SSHD. What's funny is I recall reading some reviews of the new drive and it's actually slower than the Momentus XT it's replacing due to the slower RPM (5400 vs. 7200).

Sounds like a good plan. If you do get the Y510p maybe you can let us know about your experience with it? :)

I was in the same boat earlier this year when I bought the Y500. I was using an ASUS G73Jh and at 9 lbs+ it was just too big and bulky to carry around school and use in lectures. Plus the hardware was getting a bit long in the tooth. So I sold the ASUS and bought the Lenovo. When it was working the performance increase in games was huge, easily 2X and more when overclocked. The Y500 is no lightweight but compared to the G73 it's much smaller and thinner and weighs at least 3 lbs less. Funny thing is it's so much smaller that it's too small for the laptop compartment in my Targus XL backup, which I had bought specifically for the G73, so I have to put it in a laptop sleeve to prevent it from sliding around too much in the there.

10. Albake21

Reputations:
    Ah nice, and yeah I will be ordering the Y510p around June 5th once I receive it I will tell you guys how it is. Hoping for the best that's all. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2