IdeaFan for y510p y500 G500 Y580 y410p

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by allstone, Sep 27, 2016.

1. GTMoraes

GTMoraes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm.. using this actually worsened my temperatures. It seems that the brief moment the fan stops actually causes the heatsink to accumulate too much heat, and the subsequent fan blast (dust mode) isn't enough to take it all out.

Playing Witcher 3 with this, I'd game at around 90 celsius, with bursts to 93 when fan stops, while without it, it'd be at around 85~87. I set Ideafan to start at 80 Celsius

Maybe if I set the auto interval to something like 85 or 86 celsius, it'd just give the initial fan blast to hold it below 85, then it would return to normal mode... I'll be trying this

allstone likes this.
  2. allstone

allstone Newbie

Reputations:
    Just thought Id give an update to OpenHardwareMonitor for sensor data and also some bugfixes to show temps. Here you go: IdeaFan 2.0

GTMoraes likes this.
  3. GTMoraes

GTMoraes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update. The pause interval seems to be pretty good for maintaining an average high fan speed.
    I've actually resorted to hardware modding and added a thermal fuse that disconnects the PWM cable when it goes over 85°C. Disconnecting the PWM cable makes it go 100% until below 85°C.
    However, if the fuse keeps open for a long time (+5 min), the fan controller will ignore the fans when it regains control, and will keep the fans OFF, no matter the temperature. This leads to a very bad situation that it keeps hitting 85-90 at idle.

Running IdeaFan fan blow mode resets the controller and makes it work again. It's a life saver for me.

Just out of curiosity, this is on an Ideapad 320, and still works just fine. Maybe it works on all Lenovo line.

intruder16 likes this.
  4. Velox Segnis

Velox Segnis Newbie

Reputations:
    Signed up for these forums to stop by and say I've been using your program for a few years now and it's greatly extended the usability of my y510p. Without this, most games would be literally unplayable.