IC Graphite Thermal Pad Available for Test and Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Innovation cooling, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Huh?

You just completely confused me.

buzz.jpg

Maleko48, KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    There was another MakerGel paste w/o Nano branding.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    KY_BULLET, Falkentyne and Vasudev like this.
  6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I essentially traded my M15x today + 50$ for a 2017 RBP w/ 7700HQ + GTX 1060. Machine runs in the high 60s-low 70s range on stock thermal paste, undervolted. I will be trying IC graphite pads in here as well as soon as I find out the proper torx screw size.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I thought you hated RB since most of them failed whilst using, right?

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I've never owned an RB, I hated the absolutely ridiculous heatsink design they had in the past where they just ran pipes over the dies without even a flat copper surface lol, but they've remedied that from 2017+ it seems. Its a good test bench anyway, and when compared to a 9 year old machine with a 4 year old graphics card, this was certainly a step up, who's kidding who here? CPU performance is still not as good as my 2920XM but it also isn't nearly as thirsty for power.

Anyway, since I have some of these graphite pads leftover, and I can't recall seeing this product tested in a RB/RBP, I thought I might as well try it before I move on to liquid metal

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Update: I applied the graphite pads to the CPU and GPU (7700HQ + GTX 1060), there was only negligible improvement in temperature (1-2 degrees Celsius), so my conclusion is the same as before: not enough pressure being applied by the heatsink to the graphite substrate. 7700HQ tops out around 65 degrees, gtx 1060 around 75. Tearing this thing down was a pain, hated having to do it once already. I will certainly be ordering more liquid metal and proper thermal pads (gelid) to see what difference that would make.

Sidenote: Whoever was head of thermal management in the Razer Blade division needs to be fired, pronto. They half assed the cooling in this computer to the point of danger. PCH has no cooling, memory modules for the VRAM are only half cooled....what a disaster. At least I have flat surfaces on the heatsink contact surface this time around, I know there are blades that exist only with heat pipes passing over the dies.

10. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, did you use the pad "dry" or did you put some TIM on both sides of the pad to help with the low pressure sink?

If dry, I thought there were positive reports when a TIM is used on both sides of the pad.