IC Graphite Thermal Pad Available for Test and Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Innovation cooling, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes and sorry for the necro thread. I've more or less finally configured and fixed an AW17r4 I was given as yet another exchange and I'm seeing high 70s low 80s on load during the initial burn in and dropping.

It's thicker material than you think it is and Panasonic explicitly says not to stack.

hmscott likes this.
  2. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would be very interested to hear your story about the AW exchange(s) you have had.

I will order some Panasonic thermal pads this evening!

3. Sentential

Reputations:
    Bought one 13r3 on the Outlet, left speaker was dead several keys on keyboard were dead sent it back. Bought a new 13r3, lasted about 8 months and it kicked the bucket.

- First tech stunk of weed had no idea how to disassemble the unit and used a flathead screwdriver to pry apart the laptop without removing the screws trashing the chassis. Went to depo and they couldn't fix it and an exchange was ordered.

-First replacement had a screen that was so bent inward that the lid wouldn't close. Again new tech, this tech received a defective panel where the wireless ground leads were damaged beyond repair. In addition he broke the wireless adapter when trying to put the old panel back on. Plus there was a piece of chewing gum with wrapper attached written in Kanjii that was used to secure the battery rather than tape. Exchange was issued and BBB was contacted.

-Second replacement a 15r3 was sent, requested a non-gsync unit. They sent a gsync unit. Asked for a motherboard change to a non-gsync and was told no. Exchange was issued.

-Third replacement was a 17r4. Display had terrible light bleed, and was overheating, sent to depot to replace the heatsink, display and top lid. New panel (assuming they changed it) was equally bad, couldn't tell if they changed the panel out or not. Complained again and I was sent a new bezel and heatsink. Pulled the bezel off and the display was definitely bad and not pressure on the panel. At this point I was told to pound sand and that they would neither issue another replacement or extend the warranty after almost 3 months worth of repairs. Right now I'm waiting on the BBB to go to arbitration or small claims court because ffs this was ridiculous.

c69k, KY_BULLET and jaybee83 like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    but your laptop should run 420 blazeit fast now

c69k likes this.
  5. Sentential

Reputations:
    Yea overall it's been pretty pathetic, I've more or less fixed this one unit and it is as loaded as it comes but I've spent hours trying to fix it and the other 3.
    So far for this one I've had to:
    #1 Redo the bezel twice, and buy automotive trim tape to keep the display from creeking/crinkling from the ****ty adhesive they use.
    #2 Repaste with PGS
    #3 Spent hours trying to fix the Tobii camera
    #4 Reset and reinstalled more times than I can count.
    #5 Oh and replace just about every screw in the chassis because all of them had been stripped.

I almost don't want to know this unit's service history, the previous 13r3 I got had been repaired 6 separate times before it was sent to me so there's that....

jaybee83 likes this.
  6. doofus99

Reputations:
    So it would appear the morale is "do not buy from Dell Outlet" ... Even though their warranty and customer service is great.

jaybee83, hmscott and bennyg like this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    These pads are complete garbage when used on high wattage CPU's. They may work okay when used between an IHS and heatsink, if the heatsink has high thermal transfer capabilities already (e.g. as a shim), when used on a delidded and LM'd CPU (LM between CPU and IHS), but attempting to use this in place of Liquid metal itself is completely atrocious and should NOT be attempted by anyone except for the "Why did I waste my life trying this?" factor. The base thermal characteristics are no better, and often worse than a decent high end paste (like Gel Maker Nano, Phobya Nanogrease Extreme or Kryonaut). Do NOT under ANY circumstances, attempt to use this as a makeshift copper shim replacement (for increased heatsink pressure) on a BGA CPU or GPU, with liquid metal on the CPU and CPU heatsink, as a "LM PGS sandwich!". Your results will be *HORRENDEOUS*! Your core temps (on a balanced heatsink) will be surprisingly tight, but the heat transfer itself will simply be horrible. Probably no better than Kryonaut. You will have to do your own testing, but expect your shim to fall on its face. Either use the pad itself, or use LM. don't use both. Or use regular traditional paste.

You may possibly have results similar to Kryonaut, without the problem of Kryonaut pumping out, if you use this as a LM sandwich, and the increasead pressure caused by the shim will keep more pressure on the heatsink (when part of the LM gets absorbed), and will also keep the heatsink from absorbing the LM already on the CPU, due to the PGS pad, but using LM+PGS to get Kryonaut type results isn't why anyone uses LM to begin with. Buy some Coolermaster Gel Maker Nano instead and do things the right way.

I want the 30 minutes of my life back after trying this on a 7820HK with liquid metal on both sides, as a shim. Anyone want to donate a free 30 minutes for the time I wasted? :/

jaybee83 likes this.
  8. Sentential

Reputations:
    I wouldn't say PGS is garbage, I've applied it on a 7820HK with a 1080 and I'm showing upper 70s on CPU load which isn't half bad at all.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    At 4.7 ghz, the temps were completely skyrocketing with the PGS "sandwich" with LM. Completely unusable. Temps reached 85C in 10 seconds. That is not usable. With plain LM, the temps were fully under control (max mid 80's at maximum load). This is with a true vcore of 1.276v.

10. doofus99

Reputations:
    How does "maximum load", "4.7GHz", "1.276V" translate into power dissipated as heat? It would be better to use Watts when we talk about thermal performance.

For example during some gaming, my CPU was at 20%, nothing to write home about, but at the same time, and over a long time, it was pulling 45 Watts of power! Because some CPU instructions draw more power per amount of time, eg FPU instructions, so it all depends on what you are asking it to do at the time, and the best way to describe this is, and the only thing we care about, is the resulting watts, not some reported frequency or voltage.

I attach a photo so you can see, over a long time, CPU at 20% power at 45W

2018-05-05 14_10_34-Greenshot_s.jpg

bennyg, hmscott and KY_BULLET like this.
  11. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Holy...

101ºC :/

90ºC at 44Watts.

That is not an happy CPU.

KY_BULLET and Papusan like this.