IC Graphite Thermal Pad Available for Test and Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Innovation cooling, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I did not test it that much. Just a few quick before/after tests. I had to get the heat sink into the oven and did not want to spend more time with that yet.

KY_BULLET, ajc9988 and c69k like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    KY_BULLET and c69k like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Would it be equal if you used a Goldsmith made thin silver 0.3/0.6mm shim? You haven't the nice thick 4.4mm Bitspower lid for Coffee chips anymore and the pressure on die is less than wanted..

KY_BULLET likes this.
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not bad. I feel like shimming with the graphite pad would help my unified HS and allow me to use LM on the IHS and GPU.

3-5C lower temps, vs. not a decrease, seem to contradict each other...

5. richiec77

richiec77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ah! You found what I found Mr. Fox. This stuff works REALLY well as a shim. It's effectively transparent. Did not try it with LM...so thanks! Adds to the knowledge base.

That other test....128K FFT used....only generating 33-34W of heat. Something isn't quite right there. Also, at lower heat loads, the Panasonic PGS (since it's basically that, just repackaged) can keep up with TIM. There becomes a point of saturation where it can not move heat fast enough. Acts more like a thermal sponge.

I think PGS can have a good use case as a Shim used with TIM on low pressure mounts to increase the pressure and improve transfer.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Mr. Fox and Falkentyne like this.
  6. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    So where is the best place to purchase this Panasonic PGS?

7. richiec77

richiec77 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a post a page or 2 back with links. Arrow seems to have the best prices when shipping is factored in. $33.xx shipped. You can cut about 12-15 30mm x 30mm pads from one. Or approx 9-12 40mm x 40mm pads.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/eyg-s0918zlx2/panasonic

The Soft-PGS line is what the IC pad basically is. The other links are for raw sheets that are really thin.

Wormwood and yrekabakery like this.
  8. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Is 0.2mm thick enough to be used as a shim? How compressible is the material?

9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    By decrease I meant decrease in efficiency, not decrease in terms of lower temps. So, in other words, I was referencing that temps would not be higher.

"ICD was also used in one test the other without.

The pad with ICD performed the same as ICD/pad/graphite pad alone - This relates to the contact resistance stickiness I mentioned on the introduction, the Graphite pad w/ICD now equals ICD in thermal performance. might be useful in poor contact conditions but the graphite pad sucks up the oils and have no idea what effect this would have on reliability. So kind of defeats purpose and now subject to liquid paste failure

With LM's it's different, the pad is hydrophobic impossible to spread LM compound on the pad so I applied it to sink and heat source/IHS then applied the graphite pad sandwiched between the two.

Here the pad takes advantage of the LM contact resistance (stickiness) utilizing more of available material resistance and performs the same as the LM compound. The LM being the choke point for heat flow , so pad durability should be stable as the LM just beads up on the pad with zero absorption

Not sure whether any advantage to this other than perhaps filling gaps when mechanical tolerances stray to the extreme.

Pad tends to be more forgiving in poor contact situations. @ .005 thick

[​IMG]

In the test above on a heat sink the base was bowed then lapped to a better contact for a 5 C improvement - the idea here is with the pad thickness you may get that 5C or some portion of it without lapping as observed in one of the laptop tests linked in the intro - pads are stackable but all this this needs more testing.

This stuff is flexible for alot of applications so it will be interesting over the next couple of years to see the ways that people think up in terms of application and use." http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r-test-and-review.815439/page-3#post-10709808

yrekabakery likes this.
  10. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link. Yeah I'm liking the idea of a LM sandwich more and more given the poor contact situation on the typical Clevo unified HS.

ajc9988 likes this.