IC Graphite Thermal Pad Available for Test and Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Innovation cooling, Apr 9, 2018.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    The hydrophobia, yet oliophilic, nature may create a surface which makes it difficult for LM to attach to the pad. The precise reasons related to this may be up for study and debate. Likely, it is the size of molecules at play that may be the explanation on what is being observed. But, considering the tests show no degradation in LM performance, it may be worth exploring in lapping situations where tolerances are not as tight as hoped or for less than optimal surface contact, such as a concave IHS without a perfect convex heatsink to match, such as a flat heat sink. Need to think on this some more, if being honest....

2. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    skimming through some research articles it indeed looks like that a hydrophobic surface can hinder the wetting ability of liquid metals. who knew!

3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Um....the pad didn't arrive?
    Really need more results.
    Mr Fox had the non Soft PGS version (aka the crappy version), and @Sentential keeps claming his pad is on par with LM on *laptops* when no one else can back this claim up.
    And I tested this Soft PGS pad on a DESKTOP with good mounting pressure and it performs on par with MX-4 and Phobya Nanogreae Extreme, so there's no way in living hell it performs like LM.

A control test has to be done, meaning a regular LM application on the silicon (high end control test), a "high end thermal grease" application (e.g. Kryonaut, Phobya Nanogrease, Gel Maker Nano), and the Soft PGS Pad bare test, as a direct control test, but it seems no one wants to do the work scientifically and properly. If I weren't disabled, I'd be the guinea pig and do it (I do have These Soft PGS pads, 30 grams of LM (probably 20g left), some Kryonaut, Nanogrease, Gel Maker Nano and NT-H1), but I'm not going to put myself in the hospital and possibly die, for science. It's not worth it.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    ajc9988, Papusan and KY_BULLET like this.
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    apply LM on both sides of the pad then sandwich it?

ajc9988 likes this.
  6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    I see I made a mistake, a big one :/

LM will not adhere to these pads. It just runs all around in drops. Think of like trying to spread LM on a surface with residue Isopropyl that isn't dried up fully.
    And I see my typing fail.

I meant, a LM application on the GPU/CPU by itself.

Anyway please post your results when you get them.

ajc9988 and c69k like this.
  7. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I equally lack time between work and the little ones. The results I got with the 13r3 that the Dell tech mauled today were absolutely within a 5c* margin of error that I got using conductonaut. Memory serves I was seeing about 68c* and with this 71c* on a bad mount with a damaged fin array so I'd say that's awfully close.

As for the 15r3 it was assembled hastily as my oldest wanted to help and I couldn't explain why ESD is bad since he's 2. Would have kept it if not for the fact it was a gsync unit that I explicitly ask it not be but hey at least everyone here will see results of PGS behavior on all 3 AW units courtesy of Dell.

Which leads me to my final trick I just got approved for a fully loaded 17r4 as my 4th exchange so we will see how this one does assuming it isn't beat to hell like the 13" was. This one I'll assemble at the office after work as it has both the tools and lack of children I need to get a perfect mount. Will post results when I get them and compare them to iunlocks.

Also for those wondering if the PGS deforms to fill surface imperfections it absolutely does. I have a photo of the heatsink pulled from the previous working but now dead 13r3 and there's a perfect indent from the CPU so its definitely not reusable as IC claims.

Lastly @Falkentyne you can disagree with me if you like but all the screenshots I've posted are legit. I'll also take one on a 13r3 with the standard Dell Shinetsu/MicroSI paste for comparision.

Maleko48 and Falkentyne like this.
  8. Sentential

Reputations:
    Photo of PGS compression for those interested. Also no that residue was not there previously. That is pump-out from the pad itself and as a result of the cycling it is actually stuck like tape to the heatsink surface.

Attached Files:

c69k likes this.
  9. Sentential

Reputations:
    13r3 with Dell ShinEtsu/MicroSi paste. Same unit, same conditions and drastically worse temps by over 10C* compared to PGS

Attached Files:

10. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Shin Etsu is rather mediocre paste. There was a massive thread over on NBR years ago about that.
    Need to compare a decent reputable paste like Kryonaut, Nanogrease Extreme, Gel Maker Nano, etc...