IC Graphite Thermal Pad Available for Test and Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Innovation cooling, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Innovation cooling

Innovation cooling Company Representative

Reputations:
    IC Graphite Thermal Pad
    [​IMG]

Introduction

This is a new thermal interface material alternative to thermal grease and Innovation Cooling is making it available to 10 Notebook Review forum members free for their own test and evaluation.

Requirement is a forum member with at least 2 years active participation and an agreement that you will post your test results on this thread. Although please note that preference will be given to previous participants of Innovation Cooling giveaways and surveys that received product and posted their results.

To request a sample send me a PM with a proper mailing address that can be cut and pasted and also note if you were a participant in a previous IC program.

Product Features

High Performance Thermal Interface Alternative to Thermal Compound for desktop & laptop CPU's, GPU’s and Game Stations.

Top tier thermal performance.
    • Temperature operating range -200 C to +400C.
    • Extraordinary durability – Dry solution, contains no liquids so can not pump or bake out like a thermal paste.
    • Modular solution – No guessing application amount.
    • Reusable.
    Available Sizes 30mm X 30mm or 40 X40mm Graphite Thermal Pad

Characteristics
    • 100% graphite mineral
    • Thermal Conductivity - 35 W/m-K
    • Sponge like - Fills gaps interface voids functioning same as thermal compounds/
    • Temperature Range: -200°C to 400°C
    • Electrically conductive*
    *Caution: IC Graphite is electrically conductive! Any contact with electrical components when the computer is turned on can permanently damage the components. Please ensure that the system is turned off during the application process and that no stray pieces are contacting any components before powering on the system.

General Discussion

Some key points for clarification.

On the the 35 W/m-k figure one has to keep in mind a couple of issues mainly the difference between contact resistance and W/m-k and material resistance. I have measured several retail compounds that actually were under 2W/m-k material resistance but had such low contact resistance they were competitive otherwise.

Contact resistance is separate from material resistance and can be broken out into two parts, one part is how well the paste flows to fill minor surface texture imperfections, for lack of a better term we will call this the “stickiness ” of the compound. The other component is the ability to gap the larger voids/spaces in the joint and is related to viscosity and is it’s “ Large Gap” filling capacity. Liquid Metal as an example has great stickiness as well as great thermal conductivity and provides stellar performance in situations that have high contact. This performance drops significantly in cases of degraded contact as it lacks the large gap capability.

So to put this in context, IC Graphite Lacks the “Sticky” side of the equation and loses performance there but with it’s thick sponge like nature allows it to gap large voids along with the high 35W/m-k thermal conductivity compensates for the loss of that part of the contact resistance. Keep in mind raw W/m-k numbers are not the end all performance number and only tell part of the story.

Pad is reusable
    - A lot of premarket testing on this product over the last year was conducted by experienced overclocking enthusiasts. Two of them, mllrkllr ranked 25th out of 225000 overall on HWBOT and KimandSally in 1st place on HWBOT out of 164,931 in his category for around 6 months last year. Mllrkrllr reported reusing the same pad over 50X and KimandSally 20-30 times. Under repeated use I would expect a degree or two loss performance.

-200 to 400 C Degree temperature range – These are typical operating temp numbers for pure graphite, at liquid nitrogen levels the graphite pad performed well, on a GPU world records were set being 100mhz better than the best low temp compound. On a CPU 50-100mhz less than best low temp paste and at these competitive levels a 1mhz difference is one between winning and losing, other than this group I do not think anybody else cares. The other factor is the Graphite pad does not “crack” when benching this is an annoying problem in which the paste freezes and separates from the CPU.

This is how a typical LN2 benching session w/paste was described to us:

“with xyz paste it was like this:

>Pull down to -192c

>paste snap and temps go positive with load

>Turn off

>torch pot to +80 >pull down to -192c again

>Bench for a while

>SNAP F!@#...repeat lol

>With Graphite its simple, pull down to -192c and forget”

Point here is to highlight the stability, durability of graphite in general use.

Reliability/Durability – The weak spot with thermal compounds is the liquid part of the mix with heat and thermal cycling they all fail at some point. This is a solid state TIM so failure will not occur on this basis,failure mode of the pad is undetermined although I would expect generally it will out last the life of most electrical components baring some kind of chemical reaction to an assortment of cleaners and compound oils. IC Graphite has been in constant use for about a year by several people with zero change in temperature.

Follow This Link for Some initial tests performed by KimandSally on a laptop as an indicator of what to expect.

[​IMG]

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Sign me up! I tested your IC Diamond 24 back in 2011 (before I changed my username, I was Technos in the past)

I’m curious does this material have any limitations for heatsink material? PlayStation 3 aluminum heat sink comes to mind, and it could always use a pad application like this considering how big the surface area is!

You can pick which of my systems you would like this tested in!

3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    Same here, curious to test.

I have several systems to test in: X1 Carbon 6th, Desktop i7 5820K (can push 200+w on high OC) with air cooler NH D15, T430 w/ 3920XM, etc. All in my signature.

Several hexcore CPU laptops I'm expecting to receive.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox would probably would be interested as well

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, that looks pretty stinking awesome to me. I'd love to test that on the 7700K in the P870DM-G and my liquid cooled 8700K in the desktop.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    ole!!!, ajc9988, jaybee83 and 5 others like this.
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sign me up! PM sent.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I can test it under extreme overclocked conditions with both CPUs and the GTX 1080 in the Clevo and report back on the results if you want me to. I've got some pretty challenging hardware to give it an abnormally brutal workout. PM sent. My address has changed since the IC Diamond testing.

8. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Count me in if its still available.

9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    PM'ed

I could do loads of tests on these.

Specifically for where liquid metal couldn't be used (or used safely) due to poor contact and heat sink gaps.

10. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    PM'ed email!

If still available count me on! (Or I will buy later after Mr.Fox and tests from other peeps around here)