IC Diamond 24 Giveaway/ Reliability Survey

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by IC Diamond, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    I participated in the test 2 years ago and I have got a new laptop which I have repasted with ICD7:

Before
    CPU (i7 3610QM) - ~50C (Idle) ~71C (everyday intensive load such as video rendering and photo work)
    GPU (GTX 680m) - ~49C (Idle) ~68C (gaming load)

After
    CPU (i7 3610QM) - ~47C (Idle) ~67C (everyday intensive load such as video rendering and photo work)
    GPU (GTX 680m) - ~44C (Idle) ~64C (gaming load)

Ambient hovering around 24C.

Very consistent improvements however, in my experience, ICD does have the same issue that all other thermal pastes suffer and that is longevity under very hot conditions. My temperatures gradually worsened as my previous laptop had a 2920XM that I would constantly be running at over 80C sometimes venturing into 90C. ICD was the best at suppressing the temps but eventually it wore out, a repaste helped it. My mate's laptop which never rose passed 70C on any of the components stayed consistent throughout the 2 year period.

I will keep updating this with more info as time goes on.

I hope this helps. I will register in the email and keep the testing going :)

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sorry for this double post but you have the same post on two threads..............

It is not just the paste. The problem is the harder you stress out heat pipes the faster they wear out. A repaste may help somewhat but what you will find is you never get back to the original temps.

The problem is not just the pipes but contact. Since the majority of the HS's rely on sprung metal legs these legs provide less presaure over timeand excess heat actually accelerates this loss of contact preasure. There can be other forces involved as well so there is no real clear cut answer as every system is different. I can tell you with my prior installs, at least one last 12 months, the temps held up just as good as the day installed ubt thus was a shimmed install taking care of leveling and the sprung preasure................

3. IC Diamond

IC Diamond Company Representative

Reputations:
    To TANWare's point

TANWare is 100% correct, besides adequate application amount the only 2 things anybody has to know to understand thermal compound reliability and thermal compound performance is good contact/pressure (C/P).

It's that simple, if the sink's barely touching the CPU Performance will drop.

If the sink's barely touching the CPU, perhaps only 25% contact area you have 3X heat transfer through 1/4 the area. The solder iron effect with the increase in heat density will kill any paste or LM in short order, even solder joints fail under these thermal stresses.

If you had a 100 Identical notebooks with all with a great mounting system and running the same wattage results would be pretty much identical in performance and reliability. The issue in variability of mechanics in mounting are reflected in the variability of results.

Following charts show a non trivial 9 C spread- To qualify a result it has to be quantified.

[​IMG][​IMG][/QUOTE]

4. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    Well sorry for the delay:

MSI ex625

Before:

Load: 95c

Idle: 50c

After:

Load: 90c

Idle: 48c

Ambient temps were 28c

MBP 13 early 2011

Before

Load: 95c

Idle: 55c

After

Load: 90c

Idle: 50c

Ambient temps were 28c

The temps are similar, I have the done testing without my custom notebook cooler on the msi, and no cooler at all on the mbp. Load temps were achieved while gaming, no overclock applied to the msi. The drops have been consistent on the same systems.

More to the point, the temps remained the same on the MBP throught 1 year. The msi 4670m has gone caput so I have only temps after 2 weeks of application.

Again sorry for the delay, I used the paste on a desktop as well, it was packing a e5200, drop in temps have been significant there, due to the poor/non existent thermal application.

5. IrateMike

IrateMike Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I had the graphics card that I originally provided the test data for fail, (6970m) and was sent a replacement 6990m that I used IC Diamond with.
    I fit the card around 6 months ago, and my temperatures are as follows:
    Ambient: 20degrees celsius
    Idle:
    CPU: 45 degrees celsius
    GPU: 42 degrees celsius

Load:
    CPU: 65 degrees celsius
    GPU: 78 degrees celsius

Cheers

Mike

6. IC Diamond

Reputations:
    thanks for the updates guys - Still 14 short all candidates for the WALL OF SHAME I am constructing....

7. avanish11

avanish11 Panda! ^_^

Reputations:
  8. IC Diamond

Reputations:
    avanish11 Thanks for the update much apreciated

Following the links this a 3 year old application?

9. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    Andrew, wonder if you are interested to do C/P testing for my Macbook Air 13. In fact I can also monitor the MBA temp. I need to repaste, so you can PM me regarding this.

10. IC Diamond

Reputations:
    Your Compound and paper hit the post today.

I will accept new applicants for free compound as long as they agree to do a Contact and Pressure test prior to application and update their results