IBM T40 vs Dell laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by hillaaron, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillaaron

hillaaron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am in the market for a new laptop for school and am debating getting the IBM T40 (durability) versus the line of Dell laptops. I just ordered a 4600 Desktop for my apartment but need something to take to the University with me. I need it for wireless access and the occasional DVD movie. I currently have an older Sony Vaio that is about 6.9lbs but not reasonable to take to school etc. What is everyone's recommendation? I like the 300M but honestly have only seen someone's X300 in person. (from afar) I like the 8600 but am concerned that it is too bulky for a 2 mile walk to the campus.

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    I used an Inspiron 8200 for a couple of years and have recently switched to a T40 (which I'm using as I type here!). I love the T40, the keyboard is amazing and performance with the specs I have (1.6GHz Pentium M, 512MB RAM, 80GB 4200RPM Hard Drive) is excellent. I have an SXGA monitor, which allows me to see a lot on the screen at one time but doesn't make fonts so small I can't read anything. Anyway, all that aside, the only problem with the T40 is that if you want all these great features you're looking at $2000+. With the Inspiron 8600 you can get the bigger screen and better specs for a cheaper price.

If you're walking two miles to class though, you'll be cursing the 8600. Honestly, any laptop I've had over 6.5lbs has nearly always stayed home. When I have a laptop that's thin and light I don't cringe at the thought of lugging it along, so it goes with me. If you have the X300 or an ultraportable such as it you'll find yourself taking it along without second thought, and using it, but they're not good for DVDs because of the small screen. I think you need to focus more on what type of laptop you need really...the X300, T40 and 8600 are all different classes of notebooks. The X300 is an ultraportable, the T40 a thin and light and the Inspiron 8600 more of a desktop replacement. Which type do you think you need given some of the things I've mentioned?

3. hillaaron

hillaaron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the input. I think I put those three models in my original post because those are the ones that I see commented on in forums the most. I do agree that the 8600, for me, is probably a little too bulky to be taking to and from school. Like I had mentioned I have a Dimension 4600 on the way so I don't really need a desktop replacement. With that being said I probably lean towards the ultraportable or thin and light market. I guess what concerns me about the X300/300M is that it is only upgradeable to 1GB RAM on 1 DIMM. It just seems like it is a little limiting but I guess I would really be paying for the portability. In addition I guess I would have to consider if I really want to be toting an external drive around or the media base. I do like the T40 as well and I think it has upgradeability, in terms of RAM, of up to 2GB. Have you ever played around with the 300M at all? What are your impressions and suggestions? Thanks again for your time and assistance.

4. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I've been so dep into the ultra-port market for the past few months, I'd have to recommend you stay away from the Dell for the media limitations you mentioned alone. I ended up going with the Fujitsu 5020, one of the most ultra, if you will. You might also consider the Fuji S6000 series. Andrew had that one for a few weeks, but found programming to be difficult. Take that away, I think he'd give it a good recommendation.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

5. neosynthesis

neosynthesis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Andrew, can you enlighten us on why programming on the Fuji S6000 series is "difficult"? I myself would really like to know, especially since the S6000 got such a raving review here and of course any notebook being given a good review here puts it on my shortlist.

6. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Andrew can clarify this for sure, but my guess is that with their small size, Fujitsu has to skimp on some of the keys, like home and end, which become function keys. I know it's a little annoying sometimes with mine, but for programming, I could see it being a more severe problem in regards to slowing down coding. There may have been other issues as well though.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.