i7 7700 - with 1050 4GB or 1060 6GB

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by FoxDanger, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoxDanger

FoxDanger Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi people.

I'm a video editor/Colorist for 19 years (colorist is less, but anyway). I work with Premiere and Final Cut, but i'm selling my Macbook so I'll stay only on windows now.

As I said, my primary use is Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator and minor things on After Effects.

My actual macbook its a Mid 2012 with i7 Quad 16gb ram and a GeForce 1GB dedicated and 256GB SSD.

My actual desktop is a i7 Quad 2600K with 16GB and a Zotac GeForce gtx 750 and 128GB SSD plus some HD's.

They are old because I normally buy the best possible config to stay for a long time, the macbook has almost 5 years and still good and same the desktop, 4 years and its fine, I just changed the video card from 250 to 750.

Like I said, I'm very careful with my machines so they stay fine for a long time without lags and things like that, because I really like fast machines.

All that said, it's time for a new Notebook ONLY for work. The 4K industry now is bigger and some clients started to ask for it.

At this momment I can edit 4k on premiere in both machines using proxies. It's fine, not tooooo slow but sometimes I got problems with render, sometimes the preview is a little slower and etc, it's time to change.

Researching a LOT about it I'm seeing there's not too much on render time between this i7 7700 KabyLake processor and these new GTX 1060, 1070... Maybe the processor is a little slower, but not too much.

And the 16gb RAM? I'm thinking the 32gb will be more important than the video card too... What u guys think?

My 3 questions are:

1 - Is the i7 7700 with a GTX 1050 sufficient to edit 4k without use proxies? It will be fine?

2 - Is better have a better card with less RAM or no, better get 32gb ram?

3 - I have these 2 options and the price diference is really big (please forget the price is crazy compared to USA prices, here the things are way expensive sadly):

First - R$6.665,00 ($2.136,00) - Has 17" wich is good for video edition, has more RAM, better wireless but no G-Sync:
    • VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU (4GB GDDR5)
    • PROC:Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Kaby Lake (6Mb cache até 3.8 GHZ)
    • MEMORY:32 GB Memória DDR4 (2133 MHZ)
    • HD1:SATAe M.2 - 240GB SSD
    • HD2:SATAE M.2:SATAe M.2 - 480GB SSD
    • SCREEN (LCD):17.3" IPS FULLHD 16:9 (1920x1080p) LED-Backlit Matte
    • WIRELESS:Intel Wireless-AC 3165 Wi-Fi+Bluetooth Combo

This first option has an even cheaper version with a 15" screen for R$6.383 ($2.045,00) maybe I'll choose this because of the weight (600g less) and I don't know but the slim option looks less secure about the heat.

Second - R$7.866,00 ($2.521,00) - 15" with G-Sync, better Video card and less RAM:
    • VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPU (6GB dedicado)
    • PROC:Intel® Core™ i7 Kaby Lake - 7700HQ 2.8 GHz, 6MB Cache (3.80 GHz com Max Turbo)
    • MEMORY:16GB Memória DDR4 (2133 MHZ)
    • HD1:SATAe M.2 - 240GB SSD
    • HD2:SATAe M.2 - 480GB SSD
    • TELA (LCD):15.6" IPS FullHD (1920 x 1080p) 16:9 LED-Backlit with G-SYNC (Matte)
    • WIRELESS:Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 + Bluetooth

Remeber, almost 400 dollars for americans is way easier to get than for brazilians.

I'm really thinking on going for the first option with more RAM and less money to spend. Please help me here guys. Thank you a lot.

Forgot to say, the wireless on the cheaper on is better too.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Which specific models are those? There is little point in getting a high end config if the design has issues like thermal throttling.

3. FoxDanger

FoxDanger Newbie

Reputations:
    Be fine about that, lot's of people use the two models here in Brazil and everyone says they are both fine and really good.

Just in case:

First:
    http://avell.com.br/fullrange-w1711-iron#go-to-product-options-wrapper

Second:
    http://avell.com.br/titanium-g1545-iron-v4#go-to-product-options-wrapper

The first one has a CHEAPER option for R$6.383 ($2.045,00) with 15" screen (maybe I'll choose this because of the weight and I don't know but the slim option looks less secure about the heat):

http://avell.com.br/titanium-g1513-iron#option_ultimate

4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Seems like Clevo designs - @D2 Ultima may chip in about any potential mishaps. Other than that, if you want to game, then get the 1060. If all you want to do is work, 1050 is more than enough.

5. FoxDanger

FoxDanger Newbie

Reputations:
    That's it! I don't play, not on the work machine. My work machine is exclusive for work. Thanks one more time man! :D

And about be Clevo, yes I think they are :D

6. FoxDanger

FoxDanger Newbie

Reputations:
  7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    you're comparing intel HD 520 vs a 1060 as a graphics accelerator. What did you expect? the i5 is running an iGPU after all..

8. FoxDanger

FoxDanger Newbie

Reputations:
    Ummmmmmm so, the comparisson should be against the Intel® HD Graphics 630 right?

9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    No - that comparison is pointless as it's simply not fair - they are comparing a system with a dGPU to a system without a dGPU - it's utterly pointless to even use it. In your case, the 1060 MAY be slightly faster but certainly not worth the price jump. G-sync is also going to be useless to you and a bigger screen will surely benefit you more.

10. FoxDanger

FoxDanger Newbie

Reputations:
    Perfect, that what I was thinking, "wtf compare a integrated graphics with a video card is crazy unfair" but on overall, for the work, probably will be almost no diference.

Thx man, thx a lot :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.