i7 6700HQ won't clock above 1.7GHz...

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by antik, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Glad it works now. I did have speedshift on with TS when I had the issue. Even setting EPP to 0 wouldn't allow the CPU to clock up. I think I noticed it when trying to run a benchmark or something like that and I was quite perplexed.

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In principle, SpeedShift should move more CPU control from Windoze to the CPU. Not quite sure how hidden BIOS errors can screw things up but I suspect that was the issue.

The XPS BIOS was a mess at release of the 9550 & 9560. The latest BIOS still do not support SpeedShift (the Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs certainly do as ThrottleStop never had a problem enabling SpeedShift).

Dell has sorted out a lot of the BIOS problems so I suspect some of the fixes (inadvertently) solved that SpeedShift glitch.

3. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies.

The system has been repasted and padded, so thermal throttling is not an issue.

I will check Dell Command when I get home - should it be set to Ultra Performance?

I already have TS installed which I use for undervolting, but I’ve never touched SpeedShift. What would be the most ideal SpeedShift setting to use?

Thanks

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In ThrottleStop:

- Check the box Next to SpeedShift (SST letters will turn green)

- Set EPP between 0 (for max performance) and 255 (for min energy use)

- EPP 128 is mid range per Intel but that probably prevents max turbo speeds. If you want max turbo access, EPP probably needs to be below 70 (you need to check on your system).

More details at:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

You can also use Dell Command I Power Manger. That gives you access to some power and fan settings that you may not be able to access elsewhere. Click Quiet, Optimized, Cool, Ultra Performance depending on your task (e.g. use Ultra Performance with a low EPP)

5. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good news! Changing from Quiet to Ultra Performance in Dell Command puts the clocks speeds back up to normal even with SST disabled. Is having SST disabled the same as having it enabled and on "1"?

custom90gt likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No.

7. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Would it be better to use SST or is it fine to keep off? I think I might actually put Dell Command back to Quiet as this system is mainly only used for browsing, and battery life is my main priority. I was just curious as to what was originally causing the low clock speeds

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In older CPUs, people tried to reduce clock speeds to save energy. With modern CPUs, you generally want the CPU to execute tasks very rapidly, thus allowing cores to rapidly enter deep sleep states where they enjoy virtually zero power consumption. SpeedStep and SpeedShift were introduced to facilitate this; SpeedShift is next gen technology so significantly more efficient AND higher performing. The ThrottleStop Guide thread has much more detail.

Default, your 6700HQ will run the old SpeedStep because Dell didn't bother to finalise the BIOS. With ThrottleStop you can run SpeedShift and find an optimal EPP (you might find 255 laggy but select highest figure that is not irritating).

With respect to Dell Command, I don't know what those adjustments do but quiet might use less power based on the fan and processor description. You will need to do some trial and error.

9. antik

antik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay, I've been playing around a bit with SST and EPP. Just wondering, is it more efficient and better on battery to set Max Multiplier say 18, and leave EPP on 70, or, Max Multiplier 35 and EPP on 128?

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As I noted above, changing multiplier was for older CPUs. You should not be using those buttons on newer CPUs like your Skylake. Adjust with EPP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.