I wouldnt spend 1 cent more on an Asus product!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by storm_999_, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    that one second freeze probably has to do with the intel rapid storage

i was getting freezes for no reason, and I remember i disabled that. I haven't gotten a freeze ever since.

battery drain is a design flaw though. I have heard other brands have battery drain as well.

Maleko48 and hmscott like this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    230watt isnt enough unfortunately.

My Alienware 15R3 with the 1070GTX also can show signs of slow battery draining without an undervolt. Mine came with a 240watt PSU.

It disappeared after I undervolted both the CPU and GPU. The Geforce can pull up to 150watt if the cooling is sufficient which mine does. It boosts up to 1850mhz on stock which is similar to what a founders edition desktop card does.

But those freezes, It might be the chokes/vrms getting too hot. You should check the thermal pads if they make good contact.

Maleko48 and hmscott like this.
  3. storm_999_

storm_999_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Previously, FPS drops was occurring in all games. I just didnt test other games after undervolting and clocking. But okay tonight im gonna try another game. Since they formatted my 1 tb hdd for hell no reason, i have to redownload things.

4. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @storm_999_ Just on the off chance - make sure that the game is installed on SSD. I remember cased when WD Green drives in particular would park their heads and the lag was caused by that - slow response time.

hmscott likes this.
  5. storm_999_

storm_999_ Newbie

Reputations:
    I also thought that slow reading speed of hdd might be causing but in games I wasnt moving anywhere just staying in the same spot to prevent new graphics being loaded from hdd. Installed harddisk is Toshiba btw. Drive #2 - TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 (931 GB)

hmscott likes this.
  6. storm_999_

storm_999_ Newbie

Reputations:
    IRST software is not even installed. I just checked bios, there is nothing about it in BIOS so it cant be activated.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have intermittent FPS drops it could be due to nVidia vbios changes made by Asus regarding either power limits or cut off temps being lower than it should be, to top it off, it could be compounded by bad thermal design of the laptop.

Had a similar issue on an Asus with a 8 Series GPU I had to mod the vbios to disable GPU boost otherwise GPU clocks would intermittently drop like a rock for a split second every few minutes and sometimes every few seconds. With Pascal having an encrypted vbios which is checked by the Bios for validation you can’t even make changes with the new GPUs. I’d try for a refund from Asus or at the least a different model.

Their support honestly is almost non existent. For all the flak Dell may get, at least they sometimes give a fully loaded/maxed out version of a newer gen model or at the least an equivalent model as compensation if you have issues two or more times with a particular model like happened in my case.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Maleko48 likes this.