I Was Hands on with Alienware Area 51m w/ RTX 2080 and i9-9900K. AMA!

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by GizmoSlip, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IXVIXXII

IXVIXXII Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As stupid as it would be when you're selling a so-called upgradable product, it would also be anti-consumer : people buying the low-end version in order to upgrade later, would have to purchase a new heatsink, a new power brick and yet another outer shell with vents ?

That's insane :confused:. I can't believe it... It's literally like shooting one's own foot.

I saw this line in the pdf too, but seriously ? I hope it's marketing BS.

Aroc, Vasudev, steberg and 4 others like this.
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Me too. I hope it is just 1 hand not either understanding or talking to another. It goes entirely against how they are marketing this thing as easily worked on

Aroc, Vasudev, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Totally agree, I mean in no video anywhere of them talking about the 51m do they say the cooling differs, hopefully its just a mistake because thats pretty dumb.

Vasudev, steberg, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  4. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like to keep the #1 rule of buying computers in mind: somewhere on the spec sheet is where the vendor makes their margin. Sometimes that is memory or other components and sometimes it is chassis. In this case, the cooling system. My guess is the "suits" said... ok make a crazy upgradeable laptop but remember 80% of buyers will never actually upgrade. So, give the best bells and whistles to the ones that buy at/near the top now and save on the others. So low end buyers now will have to make up for it later in new heatpipes, chassis inserts whatever.

Homer

Aroc and raz8020 like this.
  5. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you choose to upgrade CPU/GPU in the future, you will need to upgrade at least one of the power supplies too... Lower configs only come with 180w and 240w.... You will need a 320w if you upgrade your cpu on your own ...

6. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    There is no possible way for this to consume more than 420W as is... The whole differing PSU thing is useless. I simple do not understand what they are going for with the different PSU combinations.

Every config below RTX 2080 Will also consume less than 330W.

Only the i9 + RTX 2080 should need 2 PSUs at stock

The i7 Ks + RTX 2080 Should run stock on single 330W but will need 2 PSUs to overclock any.

HOWEVER, there is no confirmation if the GPU is separately powered, in which case you are locked in at 2 PSUs if you want to run any games. (presumably iGPU only on 1 PSU in this case)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Vasudev and raz8020 like this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Isn't the RTX 2080 a 150W TDP part?
    So CPU=119W + RTX 150W is 270W.
    The rest of the system will not use 60W.
    Even if LCD uses 30W, thats 30W remaining for mainboard, DDR and drives and USB.
    A single 330W PSU was enough here even if everything is 100% max load.
    Delta 330W can pull 400W from the wall.

Why would they need a 330W +180W? that's silly.

8. ThatOldGuy

Reputations:
    They are quoting a 180w RTX 2080. Hopefully that is true. That would be one of the highest power ones availible

9. Cass-Olé

Cass-Olé Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi again Gizmo. I appreciate you including this concern on your list
    If the photo is the performance heatsink w/side exhausts, the 1st thing we'll see in the owner's community is for a novice buyer to go entry-config + entry-cooling solution, who'll drop in 9900k later, overheat for it & not know why. The rude awakening will be whatever it costs for the premium parts & whatever skill-level needed to change the parts in w/out breaking something

My heart goes out to entry / novice buyers, & those who've never worked inside a laptop before. It's usually then when they find out it was easier & smarter to pay upfront for whatever Alienware classifies is the minimum high-end config which can get the good parts shipped inside now

One sentence in a review like yours to get the word out could go a long way, & I thank you for your time

GizmoSlip, Darkhan, Aroc and 3 others like this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    From what it looks like, there is no iGPU here. But I guess we have no confirmation thus far. Looks like everything including the eDP cable is directly connected to the dGPU.

So it might be like Clevo. Also explains why battery life is so bad.

Spartan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.