I Was Hands on with Alienware Area 51m w/ RTX 2080 and i9-9900K. AMA!

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by GizmoSlip, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It has to be cheaper to sell two PSU's than to have a custom one made. Plus I'm sure they're sketchy whether or not this laptop will be a success or not. While there is a few of us definitely buying this and more waiting on reviews, we're still a minority. Most people probably expect laptops to be thin and light and wouldn't even give the Area 51m a second thought. Fingers crossed I'm wrong as I'd like this kind of laptop design to stick around.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The activity / posts just here on NBR, I think, says a lot about possible market demand for such a product. The manufacturer's seem to have almost talked themselves into the 'thinner is better' mindset based on reviewer tastes or who knows what. However, the buzz around this tells me there's plenty of interest. The question is, is there enough world-wide interest to sell 250,000 to 1,000,000 units?

Aroc and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I think the PSU thing is an issue with EU law or something. I forgot who it was, maybe @Meaker@Sager but something about the amount of power or size of the PSU? Not sure maybe he can chime in.

Might be related to the 99Whr battery limit for planes.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's easier to get regulatory and safety approval with a sealed design, combine that with the cost of design/production and combining two is easier.

Aroc, Vistar Shook, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Already posted my 2 cents here. Add in Dell’s in-prices due 330w (240w) + 180w bricks is used for many of their other products... Cheaper, many people don’t want Power adapters looking thicker(bigger) than the laptop + the power cap!

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That would have made the most sense. If Dell would stop using a stupid AC adapter design that talks to the laptop (signal wire) to identify themselves as an "approved" device anyone could use one of those 780W AC adapters on a Dell/Alienware if they wanted to. You can still do it, but it turns into a bigger and more complicated project to add that unnecessary "feature" to it.
    There are probably a lot more than you think. Some are just more vocal than others, and some are willing to compromise rather than make a big stink about it.
    Yeah, the multiple threads on this new product and the content of them, the YouTube videos, etc. shows that there are a ton of people that care. Probably more care now than ever before because of how horrible gaming turdbooks have become. And, I know there are many that didn't rock the boat with the thinner/lighter BGA filth that have since changed their tune after seeing how pathetic that garbage is. Some have made their displeasure known more effectively than others. But, as many (or more) that quietly went with the flow won't let any grass grow under their feet if the opportunity to ditch the feces is available to them.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Cass-Olé, Ashtrix, Aroc and 6 others like this.
  7. ganzonomy

ganzonomy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm on the fence about one. I'm thinking 9700K / RTX 2070. If I can get it to behave with a 240w for the CPU and a 330w for the GPU, I'll jump on it. I can transfer the RAM and SSD from my 13 R3 into it to save a few bones as well.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I7-9700k + RTX 2070 together will not consume 330W, so assuming the GPU and CPU don't actually need dedicated power lines, you would only need 1 PSU

115W max stock for 2070 (per NVIDA released specs) with boosts presumably to about 150W given their xx70 history

124W Full load for i7-9700K stock at default settings; overclocking to about 5Ghz will stretch this system assuming you can do tweaks on the power settings and cooling.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  9. GizmoSlip

GizmoSlip Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, Dell didn't let anyone test the thermals of the laptops officially since they are pre-production. I did come ready to test with USB loaded with Cinebench, heaven benchmark, and HWMonitor, but alas...

Okay, so main questions you guys want me to explore:

1) What can be ran on a single 330w power supply? (9700K+2070 possible?) CPU only? GPU/CPU Power limited?
    2) What's the heat pipe upgrade path when you buy a low spec model and want to upgrade to 9900K later?
    3) What's the actual power limits for the laptop? Can they be bypassed to push higher than 138w?
    4) At what point does the laptop throttle temperature wise?
    5) Speakers
    6) Angle of display
    7) Light bleed
    8) Bios type and features?
    9) Overclocking Method. Bios or XTU or Command software from Alienware?

Any other questions I missed? I had to read through them quickly. Flying out tomorrow morning. I'll check the thread again later.

If I were to guess, the 9900K will cause thermal throttling when at stock settings with heavy CPU loads like rendering videos, but I doubt it will throttle when playing 95% of games, unless they are super CPU intensive. So I'm gusssing that an AVX Offset of 2-4 would likely prevent any thermal throttling and would still render faster than any other setup out there. But only time will tell! We'll have to see! Maybe no throttling at all if you got a sillicon lotteried chip?

I'm thinking the Area 51m will be my new laptop, but I am still really liking the thinness of my Aorus X7 DT V8. Kinda hard to give up...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Cass-Olé, raz8020, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Remember efficiency. I don't think the power consumption numbers for Cpu will be 100% valid on laptops with worse cooling, voltage management and the components efficiency. The higher overclock, the worse.

Cass-Olé, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 3 others like this.